Quantcast
Springfield XDs Recall - Page 7 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 11, 2013, 06:21 PM   #151
lauderdale

Thanks Captian! sure apprc. the info. They have been known to be reputable,i will have patience!
Old October 12, 2013, 07:47 AM   #152
Simmy952

Just got this last night -

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/11/2013
Dear Springfield Customer,

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.

We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.
Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.

For additional update information please click the link below to view the FAQ for the XD-S™ recall. If this document doesn't address your question, please call 800-680-6866 or send your question to recall@springfield-armory.com
Old October 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #153
herkyguy

Anyone else notice on the website they said you'll get a free extended mag and grip insert?

Nice of them to include.
Old October 12, 2013, 03:16 PM   #154
OilyPablo

It's like no one is reading previous posts. Dept of Double Redundancy.
Old October 13, 2013, 01:12 AM   #155
powder

Sooo what was the problem?
Old October 13, 2013, 11:57 AM   #156
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilyPablo View Post
It's like no one is reading previous posts. Dept of Double Redundancy.
You noticed that too...
Old October 13, 2013, 04:16 PM   #157
Tommygunn

Heard on Tom Gresham's GUNTALK:

The "fix" is a new grip safety as well as a more positive interface between the sear & trigger. The representative on the show from Springfield said it was so simple it was ... sorta hard to think up I guess. The rep also stated there will be a roll pin visible on the grip safety as pictured earlier in this thread.
Guns will start shipping back in a three+ weeks.
Old October 13, 2013, 11:07 PM   #158
gym
Contributing Member

I'll wait to see how long they average on the return. I may sell my house by then the way it looks.
Old October 15, 2013, 07:28 PM   #159
Gun Geezer

I have not seen one for sale at any gun store in the last 3 weeks. Has Springfield stopped shipping new ones?
Old October 15, 2013, 09:24 PM   #160
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Geezer View Post
I have not seen one for sale at any gun store in the last 3 weeks. Has Springfield stopped shipping new ones?
I'm sure they have. No point in shipping firearms that need to returned for a recall.
Old October 15, 2013, 09:47 PM   #161
sithlord3

hopefully wont be too long before the 2nd gens start to show up....I have been waiting since September 5th for one...
Old October 18, 2013, 03:32 PM   #162

Just got a text from Springfield to say that they've started shipping pistols back!! Heck, maybe I'll keep it.

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp
Old October 18, 2013, 05:42 PM   #163
meef

Specifically:

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/18/2013

Dear Springfield Customer,

We are pleased to announce that the process of upgrading XD-S™pistols has begun, and we will start shipping TODAY on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.
In our last update, we reported that upgraded pistols would start shipping sometime next week. But our team has been working around the clock and we are thrilled to start shipping today.

Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.

“Sorry, Luke. I’m just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that.”
“Naw… calling it your job don’t make it right, Boss.”
Old October 18, 2013, 05:50 PM   #164
powder

Quote:
The "fix" is a new grip safety as well as a more positive interface between the sear & trigger. The representative on the show from Springfield said it was so simple it was ... sorta hard to think up I guess. The rep also stated there will be a roll pin visible on the grip safety as pictured earlier in this thread.
Guns will start shipping back in a three+ weeks.
Meh, doesn't sound too bad or abnormal production probs..
Old October 18, 2013, 06:53 PM   #165
Captains1911

I'm not too happy about the disclosure that the mods will increase the pull weight of the trigger. We will see.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:24 PM   #166
Tommygunn

That may not be such a bad thing, safety wise ...but if it makes it really obnoxiously heavy in terms of trigger pull, yes on a small pistol that WOULD be bad.
As you say, we will see . . . .
Old October 18, 2013, 07:32 PM   #167
OilyPablo

Define:
Quote:
just a slightly increased trigger pull.
Old October 19, 2013, 04:33 PM   #168
bigfatdave

Great.

Now I wait for reports on the trigger pull change. They claim "smoother", so I'm not entirely pessimistic about it.
The XD(S) is a nice little gun, but neither of ours has a nice trigger, exactly. Not like the XD45c or XD9sc - those have very nice triggers for striker-fired guns, in my opinion.

Really, stop reading this and write your legislators, at all levels
Old October 19, 2013, 10:25 PM   #169
460Kodiak

I got a mailing from SA today about the recall. Ummm I sent mine in august 31. Weird.

I'm just glad they found a fix. I miss me little ole 45.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #170
aeriedad

I got the same letter.
"Now remember, when things look bad, and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. And I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head, and you give up, then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
~ The Outlaw Josey Wales
Old October 20, 2013, 07:24 AM   #171
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Kodiak
I got a mailing from SA today about the recall. Ummm I sent mine in august 31. Weird.
They are probably just shotgunning all info ... everyone in their XDs dB(s) gets all notifications.

Easier, cheaper and safer that way.
Old October 20, 2013, 08:26 AM   #172
jimbo555

Miss mine too,Won't be long now!
Old October 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #173
Captains1911

I had over 500 rounds through my XDs before sending it in, without a single reliability issue of any kind. 500 rounds is usually my preferred minimum before trusting a gun for defense.

I'm now curios as to how many additional rounds other people will feel comfortable with after getting theirs back, assuming they were satisfied with the reliability before sending it in, and considering the technicalities of the repair. Do you treat it as a new gun and start over?
Old October 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #174
OilyPablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911
I had over 500 rounds through my XDs before sending it in, without a single reliability issue of any kind. 500 rounds is usually my preferred minimum before trusting a gun for defense.

I'm now curious as to how many additional rounds other people will feel comfortable with after getting theirs back, assuming they were satisfied with the reliability before sending it in, and considering the technicalities of the repair. Do you treat it as a new gun and start over?
I had well over 500 through mine and not a hint of a problem. For me if a gun can shoot 100 or maybe 200 rounds reliably, then it should shoot 1000-2000 or 10,000-20,000. Maybe it comes down to what the failure mechanism is - did these parts reach some wear state? Were some parts at the minimum material condition? I believe Springfield mentioned parts with more and beefier material.

But also I thought one issue was the ability to rack the slide without the palm safety, therefore chambering a round, but not resetting the trigger, leaving the firing pin unrestrained other than the firing pin spring.
Old October 20, 2013, 12:04 PM   #175
gym
Contributing Member

I still have mine, and re checked it a hundred times, safety's work fine. The trigger resets just like it is supposed to. I understand the gravity of the situation, but will wait until they get these guns out of the way, before being without a gun that works fine, at the present time.
As long as it's pointed in a safe direction when loading it, the most that can happen is a hollowpoint hit's a concrete slab.