Quantcast
Which is the worst .45 pistol ever made in your opinion? - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 20, 2013, 04:51 PM   #26
blueskyjaunte

I've owned one Kimber in my life; never again.

So, my vote goes to anything that says "Yonkers" on it.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #27
silicosys4

The only .45 that I have been unhappy with was a Rock Island Armory GI .45. It was reliable, it just shot really low. As far as the worst...I'd guess it was something made by AMT.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:20 PM   #28
all357mag

I had a Series 80 Colt that was a bonafide piece of junk! You'd figure a sloppy gun wouldn't jam, NOT! When it didn't jam, you wouldn't brag about the accuracy either.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:23 PM   #29
WardenWolf

Silicosys4, why not just file the front sight blade or similar? That's an easy fix.

Worst .45 ever, I really don't have the perspective to make an opinion on. My father's polished stainless early Colt Combat Commander was pretty awful, though, until I worked it over. Very inaccurate. I installed a Dwyer Group Gripper and match-grade bushing, though, and that fixed it. The gun was so loose that it didn't require any fitting to install either. I lightly tapped the bushing in with a wood block and hammer; tight fit, but didn't require any fitting and I could easily remove it if need be.

Engineer by birth, guardian by nature, gun owner by choice.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:28 PM   #30
LeonCarr

The only place I have ever seen a Crown City Arms 1911 was in a book. I know they exist, but have never seen or handled one in person.

The Auto Ordnance 1911 .45 I had in the early 90s was the worst .45 I have ever owned. Supposedly the Kahr A/Os are much better.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Old September 20, 2013, 05:31 PM   #31
stressed

I had a para-ordanace warthog .45 that had all kinds of feeding problems. Eventually plunger/release didn't fall back down, and when the gun was fired it ripped it out the back of the slide. Sent it to ParaOrdanace, and about a year later I got it back - with some kind of crude pakarized finish that didn't match the rest of the gun, and no sight dots, everything parkarized over. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

Oddly enough, that gun reliably cycled, yes cycled the CCI shotshell loads for .45 ACP.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:36 PM   #32
silicosys4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardenWolf View Post
Silicosys4, why not just file the front sight blade or similar? That's an easy fix.
I forgot to mention it was 4'....thats four FEET low at 25 yards. It was the G.I model with the already teeny front "nub", it would have been gone by the time I was done, lol
Old September 20, 2013, 05:52 PM   #33
tuj

Ruger P90. Why? Because the only person I know of to have used one in self-defense had it jam on him after 3 rounds. Could have been his maintenance (or lack-thereof). Luckily the 3 rounds he got off included one that fatally struck his attacker.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:58 PM   #34
doubleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk View Post
I am a self-confessed Kimber fanboy, but the second generation outside ejector Kimbers were very bad guns. They were truly jam machines, no matter how well maintained or broken in. Kimber is still replacing slides on those guns. Having said that, if I had the scratch I'd buy a new Kimber Dessert Warrior in a heartbeat. The current ones are still the best values if you want an American made 1911 to build up.

I've also heard some very negative reports on the Sig 220, from enough varied sources to keep me away.
I have a Kimber Custom II with an external extractor and it has never had a malfunction since I purchased it in 2006.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:38 PM   #35
DesertVet

Worst .45 caliber pistol has to be the 1911s made by Springfield, Colt, and Les Baer....because I can't seem to stop spending money accumulating MORE of them! Lol!
Old September 20, 2013, 11:51 PM   #36
Gun Master

Worst .45

None I've ever owned or shot. A Star Model P had a broken firing pin. After it was fixed, no problem, except finding a 2nd mag. Owned 2 Colt's, at different times. Liked all of them.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:54 PM   #37
roadliner

Not wanting to jump on the Llama bandwagon, but my most problematic 45 was a mid-80"s Llama 1911. Wouldn't even feed hardball consistently. Accurate when it did shoot. On the other hand, I still have a Llama Omni in 45 that's both reliable and accurate. Terrible long double action trigger pull makes transitioning from first to second shot a pain to get used to.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:57 PM   #38
KYamateur

Sig's first run of GSR 1911s. My local gunsmith finally told me to trade it because I was going to have more money in repairs than I did in the gun. I will add that Sig's 1911s are some of the best value for the dollar out there. They just got off to a rough start. I learned not to by any manufacturer's new release of new product lines.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:23 AM   #39
Lincoln4

The Llama Jamomatic I owned briefly in the 80s.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old September 21, 2013, 12:32 AM   #40
DammitBoy

Had a llama minimax, bought it used. Jammed every round. Had it stoned and honed and it ran like a sewing machine after that.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:37 AM   #41
gunlaw

I really don't understand all of the llama hate. I have a llama XI-C that I purchased in 1993. After over 10k rounds no problems, no broken parts. Just a few problems with ProMag mags. Just needed to tweek the mags a little and they were fine. I guess I got the only good one. BTW the llama mags have been fine.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:38 AM   #42
Paul7

For me, RIA.
Old September 21, 2013, 07:50 AM   #43
bannockburn

My vote would have to go with the AMT Hardballer. Innovative use of stainless steel but truly horrible construction and poorly made and fitted parts made this the worst .45 I have ever encountered.
Old September 21, 2013, 08:50 AM   #44
red rick

I also had a external extractor Kimber ( Compact II ) that never had a jam, even in the break in period.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:51 PM   #45
trekgod3

Cobra Patriot .45. Bought it at a gun show new for $225. Trigger pull was double action, 12+lbs. Horrific. Sold it.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:33 PM   #46
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Quote:
The 1911.
Yup, I had two and didn't like 'em. I'd rather have a more modern accurate, yet reliable DA/SA, myself. If you can afford a decent 1911, you can afford a Sig Sauer.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:36 PM   #47
Rinspeed

AMT Hardballer.
Old September 21, 2013, 10:53 PM   #48
Magnuumpwr

My most problematic 45 out of the box was my Llama minimax. But as Dam it stated, with some fine tuning it runs great.

Si vis pacem, para bellum or Si vis pacem, fac bellum!
Old September 21, 2013, 10:58 PM   #49
franco45

+1 on the Cobra Patriot 45
Old September 21, 2013, 11:22 PM   #50
Mooseman

I remember lusting for a Cobra Patriot 45 when they first came out but I decided to wait and see how they would pan out. I'm glad I did, it seems like the idea is sound but the execution is lacking.