Quantcast
Which is the worst .45 pistol ever made in your opinion? - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 22, 2013, 09:25 AM   #51
Trunk Monkey

I have had good luck with the little Llamas, I had a .32 and I have a .380 that are good little guns but the full sized Llamas that I’ve owned really haven’t been performers. I think Llama has made some good guns but in general they have a pretty poor reputation.
Old September 22, 2013, 09:45 AM   #52
Robbins290

Hi point?
Old September 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #53
Don357

The worst I've ever had was a Llama OMNI .45. accurate as heck on the first shot, but would hit the ceiling with the next 2 to 3 rounds. It had a mechanical problem that caused it to fire doubles and triples unexpectedly. I couldn't fix it because parts are no longer available. It would have been a great gun otherwise.
NAHC life mem#40649874
G and G CETME club
G and G PSL Lounge Member
Minister
Old September 23, 2013, 04:39 PM   #54
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
I don't really know about the worst, but there are a lot of good .45s out there for various purposes. I've of and on thought I might like an XD/S. I'd belt carry it with an extended magazine. Not sure about accuracy, though.

Is to anything "Cobra", well, it's "Cobra". Have they ever made anything that wasn't crap? Just wondering.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:16 PM   #55
evan price

I had a compact Star 45, cant recall the model. Firestar comes to mind. Kept breaking parts and the slide was not hardened right and it got peened. Long gone.
The only malfunctions I have ever had wuth sig p220 were caused by Promag magazines, and using reloaded A-Merc brass.
Sold all the Promags and bought Sig or Mecgar mags, and now I cull A-Merc 45 brass to scrap.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:44 PM   #56
LebbenB

AMT Long Slide .45. Worst. Pistol. EVER. Couldn't get through a single magazine without some sort of malfunction. It took all of the short-comings of the hardballer and amplified them.

The worst part of it was I sold a no-import stamp CZ75 to finance it.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:44 PM   #57
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Back during the Clinton magazine ban era, I bought 3 pro-mags for my Ruger P85. I had trouble with 'em, but other 15 round mags weren't available, so I bought wolff springs for the mags and now they're 100 percent. If I'd had a choice at the time, I'd bought Ruger or Mec Gar 15 rounders, but none were available.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:15 PM   #58
Kosh75287

Semmerling

-Ecclesiastes 1:18-
Old September 23, 2013, 09:06 PM   #59
JR24

Quote:
Yup, I had two and didn't like 'em. I'd rather have a more modern accurate, yet reliable DA/SA, myself. If you can afford a decent 1911, you can afford a Sig Sauer.
Funny story, I have recently discovered that all my Sig P220 mags are really picky about ammo that's just the smallest amount too long, they get jammed in the mags and FTF a lot. Turns out that an annoyingly large percentage of the UMC ammo I had stockpiled is just a bit too long (like 20% on some boxes). So the Sig don't like em.

My Remington R1 and Springer GI eat them just fine. Never thought my Sig would choke before my 1911's.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:53 PM   #60
wally

Quote:
OP didn't specify function as the sole criterion. And even then, nobody has probably fired enough Liberators to set a function baseline.

It was bad in several other categories, incuding build quality, ergonomics, and reloading procedure.
I've also heard it said that the Liberator was the only gun ever designed that took longer to re-load than to manufacture -- extract the empty with the supplied wooden dowel ...
Old September 24, 2013, 09:52 PM   #61
Trunk Monkey

My understanding was that the Liberator was used to kill a better armed German and take his gun. So, If it worked right the first time you weren't going to need to reload it
Old September 25, 2013, 12:24 AM   #62
Jim K

"Liberator ... I'd rather go up an order of magnitude in cost and get a Sten."

They did. Thousands of STENs were parachuted and air landed to supply resistance forces in Europe. Most reliable sources indicate that not a single Liberator was ever fired at an enemy, and all but a few were destroyed after the war ended.

I agree on the OMNI, though. A nice looking and nice handling gun that wouldn't hit a barn from inside. A lot of filing and crude hand work where it didn't show.

Jim
Old September 25, 2013, 12:49 AM   #63
Gun Master

Worst .45

Yep ! Liberator.......I'd forgotten that one, it was so bad (in the worst way).
Old September 26, 2013, 12:52 AM   #64
jon_in_wv

The Colt Combat Commander I owned was the worst 45 I've ever owned. The first time I loaded it the hammer followed and shot a hole through my bed. I replaced the sear, hammer, and spring with new parts. My first range trip the barrel bushing broke sending the plug, recoil spring and plug down range. I replaced the barrel bushing and on the second trip to the range the slide stop broke. I replaced the slide stop and sold the cursed thing at a loss. I'll buy just about any 45 before another 1911. (before some fanboy says I'm basing that on just one 1911 it was my fifth and with on exception the others were only a little less trouble.) Funny how many mention the AMT yet the Hardballer I bought in 92 was completely trouble free (the one exception) and a great shooter.

Whenever we argue the 2nd Amendment GIVES us the right to keep and bear arms we have already lost the argument. The 2nd Amendment RECOGNIZES our right to keep and bear arms and restricts the GOVERNMENT from infringing upon it. PERIOD.

End hoplophobia.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:43 AM   #65
wally

Quote:
My understanding was that the Liberator was used to kill a better armed German and take his gun. So, If it worked right the first time you weren't going to need to reload it
True, but afterward the Liberator was hopefully to be given to another partisan to repeat the process a few times. I believe it came with some extra ammo.
Old September 26, 2013, 04:06 PM   #66
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally
True, but afterward the Liberator was hopefully to be given to another partisan to repeat the process a few times. I believe it came with some extra ammo.
Yeah but you'd have forever to reload it.

And it still probably worked better than a Jiminez
Old September 26, 2013, 07:04 PM   #67
Elkins45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98C5 View Post
AMT Hardballer.
That would be my vote. The irony of a gun named "hardballer" that wouldn't even feed hardball was just too much to bear.

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.
Old September 26, 2013, 11:28 PM   #68
jjadkins1

Taurus 24/7

My worst was Taurus 24/7 and I own an Auto Ordnance.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:02 PM   #69
gym

1911's are like women, when you get a good one, you better take good care of it or you will regret the day you got it when you need it most. Stick with the good ones and don't go looking for bargains or you will end up with a problem that will cost you a lot of money when you could have avoided it by getting a first rate one to begin with.
If yours works, don't mess with it and it will probably run forever, if it's trouble from day one, divorce it and move on, as it may never give you a moments peace, and take you for all you are willing to dump into it.
You may find you and your 1911 in a therapists office trying to find where you went wrong. Picking up a cheap 1911 is like meeting a girl in a bar, they all look good when you are in the mood, but you can wake up without your wallet before you know what happened.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:08 PM   #70
Henryfan1

I had a 45 ACP Taurus tracker and the stupid moonclips would bind up the action all the time.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:51 PM   #71
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

I had a Singer 1911 once, it was total junk. Traded it for a High Point, I feel bad for giving him such an bad trade, the high point is incredible!!
Old September 27, 2013, 11:18 PM   #72
Jim K

You traded a $15,000 Singer for a High Point? Now I happen to think High Points are a lot better than some folks say, but.....

Jim
Old September 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #73
Elkins45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouth View Post
I had a Singer 1911 once, it was total junk. Traded it for a High Point, I feel bad for giving him such an bad trade, the high point is incredible!!
Wait, is this April 1?

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.
Old September 28, 2013, 09:08 AM   #74
Mooseman

singer=45
hi-point=45 + club
45 + club > singer
hi-point > singer
Old September 28, 2013, 02:11 PM   #75
Gun Master

Singer = Hi-Point

Ahhhhh..........Right. Yup ! Nothin' like the smarts of an ol' mule trader . Unless you're trying to pull our collective legs. Either way .....Yup !

Last edited by Gun Master; September 28, 2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: You didn't put the moon clips into the Singer the correct way!