Quantcast
Best looking folder. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 13, 2015, 12:16 AM   #1
Savage99

Best looking folder.

This Winchester knife is a favorite.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Winchester%20knife

$10.00

Last edited by Savage99; August 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old August 13, 2015, 07:30 AM   #2
19-3Ben

I've always had a weakness for the look of the Benchmade 690 Elishewitz.

SO classy. SO practical.
Old August 13, 2015, 08:25 AM   #3
bikerdoc

CRKT Fire Spark A/O

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old August 13, 2015, 11:01 AM   #4
22-rimfire

I by no means have that many pretty knives. But, I do like the looks of the following quite a lot and they are my normal using knives (except for the ivory one).

For a normal folder, I think the Great Eastern Cutlery #42 in burnt stag is quite a looker.
Northwoods Madison Barlow in elephant ivory looks great to me. This is a tad past "normal".
Spyderco Native 5 or Kiwi 4 are great looking.
The ZT 0770CF is a great looking folder.... slim, light, and practical in size for a ZT.

Really like the looks of the Fallkniven folders, just never bought one.
Old August 13, 2015, 08:01 PM   #5
jeepnik

I've always thought the Buck 110ti looked pretty good. No fancy scales or clips. Just a good ole lock back meant for hard work.
Old August 14, 2015, 12:24 AM   #6
Savage99

That "Benchmade" knife is $349.00 on ebay.

The Winchester is $10 at Walmart.

Groups are for target rifles. My target rifles must shoot small groups.
Old August 14, 2015, 12:43 AM   #7
herrwalther

Quote:

I have two of those Winchester knives. They look nice when they are new and in the box. Not so much after a year or so of use and pocket carry. Then again they are 10 bucks so I never cry over them.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:29 AM   #8
ugaarguy

Quote:

The title of the thread is "Best looking folder." You didn't specify a price cap. While best looking is highly subjective, most people do find more beauty in well crafted objects made from fine materials. Quality craftsmanship and fine materials both come at a price. $350 is cheap for collectors who buy hand made fine art knives that are still functional as knives. That's a level of collecting that's out of my price range, but I appreciate the beauty of such knives when I go to Blade.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:40 AM   #9
blindhari

Helle Dokka, Buck 175 Lightning, Leek Titanium

blindhari
Old August 14, 2015, 02:10 AM   #10
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

But to me, all it see there is a cheap Chinese knife with Winchesters old name grafted on it to make it sell better at $10.

Rc
Old August 14, 2015, 06:59 AM   #11
jcwit

Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I bet that "cheap Chinese" knife will cut and a couple of swipes across the crock sticks when needed will restore it's edge also.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:17 AM   #12
ivankerley

im rather fond of my case cv sodbuster, picked it up at Basspro $20 out the door about 8 years ago, excellent slicer, easy to sharpen, good steel, carries good, looks good too made in the USA
gene
Old August 15, 2015, 12:36 AM   #13
Piraticalbob

I have a Barlow made by Sheffield knifemaker Trevor Ablett that is lovely, and he charges a lot less than most custom makers, I bought this one for less than $100 (closer to $75, in fact):

Old August 15, 2015, 01:19 AM   #14
Gordon

I like my Shaman (bottom knife)
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:36 AM   #15
hso

Savage99,

If you think the $10 Walmart Winchester is the best looking folder you've seen, that's great, but you titled the thread "Best looking folder" and not "Best looking folder under $20" so there's no need to attack someone else who thinks a $100 or $300 folder is the best looking to them. Almost every knife that has been or will be mentioned will be more expensive than your Winchester.

I have a startling number of very expensive custom and production knives and most of the folders are good looking to me, but one of the best looking to me and many other knife geeks I show it to is $25 Klaas lockback simply because the proportions are "right", the lines flow smoothly and the fit and finish are excellent.

OTOH, I knife I haven't gotten yet that I "love" the looks of is the Herman "Wallstreet". Below is Timberline's licensed copy that you can get for $50 on sale.

I even think the simple lines of the inexpensive Opinels are some of the best looking out there. Here's their Slim No10 in olive wood.
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by hso; August 15, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:52 AM   #16
19-3Ben

Quote:

They didn't cost that much when they were in production. It's only because now that it's been discontinued for a little while, the price has inflated with its collector status (think like some of Colt's revolvers). Either way, the OP did not say "best looking for the money." It was simply "best looking" with no other qualifier.

As to whether a $10 knife from WalMart can be considered the "best looking folder" is something I'll leave up to the individual. To me, part of the beauty is quality of craftsmanship and materials. Those are things that are very difficult to find in a $10 knife, not because of the price itself, but because of the price point to which the knife was specced and built.
Old August 15, 2015, 08:27 AM   #17
19-3Ben

Quote:
I even think the simple lines of the inexpensive Opinels are some of the best looking out there. Here's their Slim No10 in olive wood.
Absolutely. Opinel is one of the big exceptions to what I stated above about knives in that price point. Of course, by using a much simpler mechanism, they can afford to use higher quality components.
Old August 15, 2015, 08:34 AM   #18
JShirley
Administrator

Quote:

Everyone else may have danced around this, but I'll give it to you straight:
Benchmade is known for making quality knives that some find to be expensive;
Winchester, like most of the big gun companies, is known for licensing its name to companies that put it on cheap, poorly made knives (Browning is the noteable US exception.)
Old August 15, 2015, 09:25 AM   #19
19-3Ben

There is one other exception I can think of, and it's no longer current. Until Camillus closed their doors (2006? 2007?) Remington was putting its name on a few Camillus knives that were decently made. Maybe not the best (still using 400 series stainless) but Camillus knew what they were doing. That said, it's a recent but still defunct example now that Camillus is gone.
Old August 15, 2015, 02:55 PM   #20
herrwalther

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShirley
Benchmade is known for making quality knives that some find to be expensive;
I thought this. Until I had my first problem with a Benchmade. It was an auto knife that wouldn't open any longer after a long fall to the floor. I read about their warranty, gave it a shot and sent it in. They practically gave me a new knife back. Any chance I get I buy Benchmade knives.

In any case I will have to dig out an old pocket knife that belonged to my grandfather. From what I can tell it has mother of pearl grips and an iron blade.
Old August 15, 2015, 03:02 PM   #21
dayhiker

Just my opinion, others may vary, the only current "gun brand" knife of excellent quality is the HK Axis series. D2 steel, G10 scales, Axis lock, USA made by Benchmade. Priced without Benchmades MAP pricing policy. Top knife is my HK 14715.

Back to the thread topic......I find the beauty in a knife is in it's function. Ergonomics, quality of materials, how it feels for me to use..

The bottom knife is beautiful to me, it is my Emerson mini CQC-15. A very close second and third place are my Spyderco Military and Paramilitary 2.
Old August 15, 2015, 06:06 PM   #22
MutinousDoug

The best looking knife I have (actually, my sister keeps it now).
Issued or more likely salvaged from a 1942 New Guinea or Australian wreak; USAAF "Pilot's knife".

Old August 15, 2015, 06:27 PM   #23
hso

Yep, Browning has some well made and good looking knives produced for them.
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old August 15, 2015, 10:28 PM   #24
JudgeHolden10

T.A. Davison, who has an account on this forum, makes some beautiful folders. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old August 15, 2015, 11:04 PM   #25
Evil-Twin

If you do a search for High quality folders ( price no object ) you can find literally hundreds of beautiful, well crafted knives.
I carry these two everyday with my EDC 1911... all of which are good looking.( IMO )