Quantcast
Steyr Scout proved itself today, short range report - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #1
bikemutt
Contributing Member

Steyr Scout proved itself today, short range report

So I finally got the Steyr Scout .308 rifle all put together and took it out to the 100 yard range today.

Preparation included a custom made 1/2x20 to 5/8x24 thread adapter so I could mount the QD brake suppressor mount. Found a Realtree camo stock that I fell for like a hungry trout on a worm. Lastly, mounted a Viper Vortex PST FFP 6-20x50 with Burris Extreme rings. Suppressor is a YHM Phantom Ti 30 cal, QD mounted.

Ammo was CBC white box 150 grain .308 "sniper", bought retail for around $1 per round during the last panic.

Once I had the scope dialed in, it was time for some work. After each shot of this 5 shot group I looked through the spotting scope and muttered something
along the lines of "please don't let me choke on the next shot". When it was all done I sat back in disbelief. I'm not a very good marksman, somehow this rifle/ammo combination gave me a chance be a decent one today.

This one's a keeper, and hopefully worth sharing with the good folks here at THR.

They were just a bunch old dead white guys but they invented this country, and they meant what they said. The Second Amendment isn't about the National Guard or the police...It is about law-abiding, private U.S. citizens. Period. - Charlton Heston
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #2
dmancornell

Did you allow a cooldown period? Mine (in 7mm-08) groups horribly once the barrel is hot, which is after 3 shots with that skinny barrel.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #3
loose noose

bikemutt, great shooting, however your barrel looks awfully thin. Other than that it looks like you've got a keeper.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #4
bikemutt
Contributing Member

No cool down between shots. Getting on paper and dialing in was paused for a cold range target change, then off to work. Tell you what though, that suppressor was HOT!

I agree the barrel is on the skinny side, ambient temperature was knocking on 90 degrees today.

I tried a group with Hornady 168 grain premium match ammo, it didn't group near as good as it did with with the "cheap" stuff. The guy next me advised "so shoot the cheap stuff".
They were just a bunch old dead white guys but they invented this country, and they meant what they said. The Second Amendment isn't about the National Guard or the police...It is about law-abiding, private U.S. citizens. Period. - Charlton Heston
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #5
back40

looks like a nice shooting rifle. is that the scope you're keeping on it? seems like a lot of glass for a "scout rifle". not knocking it, just curious.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #6
bikemutt
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back40 View Post
looks like a nice shooting rifle. is that the scope you're keeping on it? seems like a lot of glass for a "scout rifle". not knocking it, just curious.
I've had this scope on several different rifles, never felt a synergy. I feel good about this move, maybe this is the one.