Quantcast
AR Builds -- What Parts Did You Choose and Why?? - Page 6 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 22, 2014, 02:28 AM   #126
Centurian22

Stephen1956: You NEED to review the laws VERY carefully and consider editing your above post to reflect your new found knowledge. What you suggest above is a crime. The only way the 80% lower thing works is if YOU buy it, YOU complete the work, and YOU DON'T sell or give it to anyone else (unless you have the proper license to do so and put a proper serial number on the lower, do the paperwork etc.).
Old July 22, 2014, 08:05 AM   #127
HOOfan_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
Stephen1956: You NEED to review the laws VERY carefully and consider editing your above post to reflect your new found knowledge. What you suggest above is a crime. The only way the 80% lower thing works is if YOU buy it, YOU complete the work, and YOU DON'T sell or give it to anyone else (unless you have the proper license to do so and put a proper serial number on the lower, do the paperwork etc.).

Not to mention you can probably get a ready made, anodized, good quality lower for about or less than the price you would pay for the $50+ labor
Old July 30, 2014, 09:55 PM   #128
d2wing

The Del-ton Dissipater was a big mistake. I thought it would be a good kit to upgrade as I go. I could not sight it in as the groups were very erratic, the bolt gets stuck in the BCG. And it won't function with cheap ammo. I called Midway, I could exchange it if I take it all part and return it. I called Del-ton. They said send the upper back at my expense and they will look at it. A new rifle barrel would be $194 and out of stock for several weeks. I want to upgrade to a 20 inch barrel. Any ideas?
Old August 1, 2014, 08:17 PM   #129
Centurian22

First sugestion would be starting your own thread to ask specific questions and so as not to sidetrack / hijack this thread. Next sugestion would be to include details like round count, ammo tried, is everything torqued to spec or was this assembled 'good enough' etc etc. Best of luck.
Old August 1, 2014, 11:49 PM   #130
d2wing

Sorry, my intent was to say I intended to shortcut the build process by useing a cheap kit then switching parts as needed. I found out for my purpose of a reliable reasonably accurate gun I made a wrong choice. Delton told me that most dissapators only work with premium ammo although some happen to cycle cheap stuff. Only trying to warn of my error and get suggestions on a barrel up grade but I talked to Midway and I will exchange it for something else. I bought another partial lower parts kit so I don't have to dismantle my lower to return all the pieces. I was told by a gun store guy that builds ARs that most of the basic parts are made by the same company and with a few variations most parts are the same. The differences are mainly each companies quality control and finishing. I cannot verify that is true of all or some companies. So if that is a high jack I apologize , just trying to add to the conversation.
Old August 2, 2014, 08:54 AM   #131
Centurian22

No problem. It's definitely good info to have. I didn't know how detailed of responses you were looking for. Sorry the delton didn't meet your needs. If it fits what your purpose is for the rifle check out the Daniel Defense "S2W" (Strength to Weight) profile, 18" 1:7twist mid length gas cold hammer forged nitrided barrel on midway for $289

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/492...ome-moly-black

Lots of REALLY good reviews. Hope this helps, and thanks for the heads up. Good luck.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:19 PM   #132
d2wing

Thanks. That looks very good.
Old August 4, 2014, 10:01 PM   #133
JB_3

The dissipator should not affect the reliability of the rifle.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:50 PM   #134
Zach S

Depends on what gas system it has. Rifle length gas on a 16" bbl would cause issues...

"The problem with the 1911 today is that so many people have been trying to outsmart John Browning for so long, they really believe they have." - 1911Tuner
Old August 7, 2014, 08:49 PM   #135
Hometeached1

I bought a PSA stripped lower and a PSA pistol lower parts kit. Why because I had heard good things about them for the price and they were on sale. (I'm a sucker for sales. )

I'm new to ARs so I'm doing a basic build then run it for awhile and see what I like or don't like and change out parts that don't work for me.

The reason I went with a pistol is that I'm thinking maybe SBR down the road and this way I'll be able to see if I like the shorter barrel. (I know it's not the same shooting as a SBR.) If I don't like it I can change it to a carbine.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old August 14, 2014, 02:32 PM   #136
henschman

Here's my new home defense/run 'n gun rifle.

It's a bit of a franken build... I mostly used parts that I accumulated by buying when they were on sale, or stuff I had laying around in the parts bin. The Anderson lower I got for $55 OTD; the PTAC LPK was $30; the PTAC MP marked BCG was $75; the MI-SS G2 free float handguard was $120. The buffer tube assembly is all PSA with an ACS-L stock -- I got it off another rifle that I converted to a fixed stock. The barreled upper is about the only thing I paid full price for, and only because I just had to have a pencil barrel middy with fixed FSB... I ordered it from BCM. Of course days after I bought the upper, BCM started running the sale where they throw in a BCG and compensator with any upper purchase. The Aimpoint Comp M I have on it I scored at a gun show a couple years ago for $80.

It handles great with the pencil barrel. It shoots well enough... I put in some roughly 2 MOA groups with M193 ball from prone with the sling. The only thing on it that is possibly sub-mil spec quality is the buffer tube, which might be 6061 instead of 7075. Other than that it is a solid build, and should fit it's intended roles well. It will mostly sit loaded and ready to go in my bedroom closet in a HD role, but I also plan to use it in some of the cross-country run 'n gun competitions I do.

Than live as slaves to you”
-- Lemuel Haynes, 1775

III
Old August 18, 2014, 11:05 PM   #137
bangswitch

I wanted an AR, but I'm not too enamored of .223/5.56, so I decided on 300 Blackout for several reasons:
1-everything on the rifle is the same as a .223 except for the barrel, so a generic build is easy using milspec parts
2- the 300BLK is a versatile round with great ballistic performance with a very wide variety of bullet weights, and lends itself exceptionally well to suppressed, subsonic loads.
3- I primarily reload .30 caliber, so it simplified what I need to keep on hand.

I chose parts based on 1- Milspec, for compatibility between brands and makers, 2- quality, I wanted upper-shelf parts and was willing to pay the extra for them, 3- availability, but without having to compromise on the quality significantly. I decided on a carbine length, to avoid the $200 fee for SBR, but still have the option later of paying the fee for a suppressor, even though the resulting rifle would not be quite as compact as a suppressed SBR. The carbine also made sense as 85% of my use would be supersonic.

My parts list is as follows:

Mega A3 upper and lower receiver,
CMMG parts except for trigger group
Geissele DMR trigger group
AIM NiB BCG and bolt
Spike's Tactical VLTOR charging handle
Rainier Match 16" barrel, 1 in 8 twist
AAC flash suppressor, for compatibility with future AAC suppressor
Wilson Combat adjustable gas block and gas tube
Geissele Super Modular 13" rail MkII Mod 1 and barrel nut
Magpul ACS buttstock and buffer tube
Magpul BAD lever (battery assist device)
Hogue pistol grip
Redfield Counterstrike red/green dot with laser sight.
I've since added a 200 lumen light.

It shoots pretty well, first is sandbagged at 100 yards and taking my time, second is standing freehand, rapid fire (30 rounds in 2 minutes) at 100 yards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06717.jpg (112.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100 yards sandbagged.jpg (48.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 300BLK 100 yd 1x sight rapid fire 2 min 8-16-14.jpg (80.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by bangswitch; August 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old August 18, 2014, 11:49 PM   #138
Zach S

Just a suggestion, but I would replace the adjustment "set screw" in the adjustable gas block with a socket head cap screw so I could use a paintmark to make sure it isn't walking in or out.

A guy came in the store/range one day asking about his AR not cycling, once he showed it to us I could see where the gas was shooting out of the fore end, due to the missing set screw. It wasn't a Wilson, not sure of the brand though. I'm a little leery of things like that since the only threaded thing that hasn't came loose on me is a pistol grip screw (obviously, the bbl nut was on a PCC).

"The problem with the 1911 today is that so many people have been trying to outsmart John Browning for so long, they really believe they have." - 1911Tuner
Old August 19, 2014, 02:51 PM   #139
d2wing

Update, I exchanged the Dissapator for a 20 inch Rifle kit. Everything's looks good on it and the bolt was stiff but not as bad as the Dissapator. At the range it was easy to sight in. With factory ammo I shot a one inch group with 2 shots making one hole at one hundred yards.
I also shot some Tula Steel case in it and it functioned just fine. Like the other Del-Ton kit, everything was very tight. With use, lube and cleaning it should get better.
I plan on a trigger upgrade.