Quantcast
Ear protection......what type?? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 19, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Bimmer

Ear protection......what type??

I want to buy my sons a quality ear muff...electronic, for Christmas. There are so many available, what are the best to look at if my price range is around $75?

Thanks, Bimmer
Old December 19, 2013, 10:14 PM   #2
smovlov

Many people like the Howard Leight Impact Sport. There might be better options as you get in the 75$ range though.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
CraigC
Contributing Member

I really like the Howard Leight. Works much better than the cheap Caldwell's I had before.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old December 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
nyc71

Another vote for the HL. I outfitted my whole family with it when the were on sale.
Old December 20, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
hso

Howard Leight Impact Sports are the best bang for the buck.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Stevel

Howard Leight
Old December 21, 2013, 01:01 AM   #7
kayak-man

I second the Impact Sports. Usually, I use some foam plugs and those, and whenever I go in for a hearing test (Once a year as a fire fighter), I do well enough that they are shocked when I tell them I shoot guns a lot.
Old December 22, 2013, 08:21 AM   #8
the.batman

I've used Peltor both on and off the job. They are very expensive but they work very well and are very durable.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:58 PM   #9
HammsBeer

I hate ear phones. I use Howard Leight corded ear plugs number R-33333. Very soft and the cord keeps from loosing one when removed.
Old December 23, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
arizona98tj

Quote:
I second the Impact Sports. Usually, I use some foam plugs and those....
That is what I wear too. I don't find the Sports by themselves are adequate unless I am shooting in an open field. (I can say the same for most other muffs as well.) If shooting under a roof or in an indoor range, the additional foam plugs are a must have for me.
Old December 23, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
SuedePflow

Best bang for the buck: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...d+leight+sport

Also, if you don't like having the 'strap' over the top of your head, consider these: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tactical-Be...ords=peltor+6s
Old December 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #12
45crittergitter

I like the Peltor 6S for around $50. They fold up and go in a cargo pocket, and they're sculpted for use with a rifle or shotgun with minimal stock interference. Also, the Leight folks haven't responded to my inquiries about their products.
Eagle Scout
Professional Engineer

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
Old December 23, 2013, 04:36 PM   #13
PiratePenguin

I haven't had any experience with the electronic muffs, but some reviews talk about there being delays before the amplification cuts out. Is that common behavior? I'd hate to spend the cash on a set only to have them be less useful than the $20 passive protection.

ETA: we shoot indoor pistols, so I'd be looking for NRR28-31 which gets pretty pricey in electronic headsets.
Old December 28, 2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Ex

+1 for Peltor. Mine are 8 yrs old and work better than I could ask for. Fast and quiet. Low battery drain also.
Old December 28, 2013, 04:04 PM   #15
irl104

I use a Peltor also and it has lasted me fifteen years with no problems.
Old December 28, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16
oneounceload

IF you are shooting indoors or shooting handguns or high-powered rifles, I would add plugs to go with whatever muffs you decide on

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old December 28, 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
flightsimmer

Amazon had Peltor, Tactical Sport electronic hearing protectors for $88.00 and at the time they offered free shipping so I got some and they do very well and you can still hear what people are saying. In fact they can also increase your hearing if you turn them all the way up, like while hunting.
I use them in the range where I work and so do some of the other guys that work there.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Old January 6, 2014, 08:08 PM   #18
farm23

I have used Peltor in my plane for years and also have the Tactical Sport for hunting. A quality manufacturer.
Old January 7, 2014, 01:17 AM   #19
Jaymo

I use the same Ryobi electronic earmuffs that I bought for work.
They take a 4 volt rechargeable battery pack.
The guy next to me was shooting a .454 Casull and it wasn't any louder than the modern, wussified .357 mag ammo I was shooting.
The only reason I knew he was shooting something serious was because the muzzle blast mad my sinuses vibrate.
Old January 7, 2014, 01:41 PM   #20
mdauben

Quote:
I don't find the Sports by themselves are adequate unless I am shooting in an open field.
While doubling up is a fine idea, I've used the Howard Leight electronic earmuffs alone on indoor ranges with no problems.

Quote:
I haven't had any experience with the electronic muffs, but some reviews talk about there being delays before the amplification cuts out. Is that common behavior?
Not something I've noticed with the Howard Leight earmuffs.

Election 2014: When you vote, remember how your Congressmen and women voted on the issues important to you.
Old January 7, 2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Pete D.

Ears

Quote:
IF you are shooting indoors or shooting handguns or high-powered rifles, I would add plugs to go with whatever muffs you decide on
+1 about that.
Pete
Old January 15, 2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Q-Lock

+1 for Howard Leight. I prefer them to my Peltors.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - JFK

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." - D. Boone
Old January 19, 2014, 03:12 PM   #23
Bentonville

What about these? The ProEars ProTac Electronic muffs. They seem to have the highest rating at NRR33. http://www.amazon.com/ProTac-Mag-Gld...ProEars+Protac
Old January 20, 2014, 04:33 PM   #24
oneounceload

Very good company making very good ear protection.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old January 20, 2014, 06:26 PM   #25
Vodoun da Vinci

I use Howard Leight but they are not electronic. Just muffs that fold up small enough to go in the range bag...black, comfortable, effective. I got 'em for Christmas and relegated the little pink plugs to a back up position.

VooDoo
Beretta Px4 9mm subcompact, Glock 26 Gen4, Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 Magnum, Ruger LCR .38 Special +P, Colt 1903 Model M .32ACP, Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum, Ruger Bearcat .22, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, Colt Officers ACP .45, Glock 42