Quantcast
Second Marlin 39A - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 2, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1
DAdams

Second Marlin 39A

A couple months ago I ran across a Mountie 39A, it was in a group of 4 .22 rifles I bought.
I recently got a second which was bundled in a six gun group. 3 months ago I didn't know these existed...now I am trying to buy all these I can find if they are priced right.

The first.

Number two

Both are in really nice condition. Both over 50 years old.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:47 PM   #2
towboat_er

The 39A is a great rifle. They are getting harder to find at a decent price. Get em while ya can.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:05 PM   #3
ArthurDent

Beautiful!

The older ones like these are even prettier.

(ArthurDent waves hello to DAdams!)
Old January 2, 2014, 11:14 PM   #4
ExAgoradzo

IDK they came in pistol grip...now I really want one even more!!!

Nice finds bro,
Greg

Just for fun!
Old January 4, 2014, 11:46 AM   #5
chicharrones
Contributing Member

Sweet 39s, DAdams!
Old January 4, 2014, 07:19 PM   #6
acmax95

Nice!

Really like the straight stock models.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:10 PM   #7
JohnBT

Maybe I'm old and have watched too much football this week, but I don't recall ever seeing a 39-A with the sling swivel out on the barrel.

I admit I've never really paid much attention to the 39-A rifles because my uncle gave me a Mountie in '63 and life was good.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:36 AM   #8
Kernel

Location: 77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality (Madison), Wisconsin
Quote:
sling swivel out on the barrel
That's not factory. Uncle Mike's makes a sling swivel kit for the 39 with front and rear swivels. They also have generic swivel, sold as a single unit, that attaches to the mag tube. Fits other tube fed .22's also.

Your pistol grip Mountie looks a lot like my 39-D. Except all the D's I've seen have a banned fore end and a dovetail front sight.
"We saw this ship come up, it was circling around us, and a guy was standing up on the bridge with a megaphone. And he called out 'Who are you?' and we all yelled out 'Samuel B. Roberts!' He's still circling, so now we're cursing at him. He came back and yelled 'Who won the World Series?' and we all yelled 'SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!' And then we could hear the engines stop, and cargo nets were thrown over the side. That's how we were rescued."

Jack Yusen, Seaman 1st Class and survivor of Task Unit Taffy 3 after two days in the water near Samar Inland, Philippines, October 27, 1944.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:26 AM   #9
bannockburn

DAdams

Congrats on the great finds! Both look to be in very nice condition, especially the wood finish on the Mountie 39A.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:37 AM   #10
JohnBT

Thanks, that's sort of what I figured about the swivels, but Marlin has made a number of variations over the decades, both to the 24" rifles and 20" Mounties. Come to think of it, the very first Mountie in 1953 had a straight stock and a 24" bbl. They changed it to 20" the next year.

Here's an ad for the '53 Mountie. Is that $40.85?

http://www.vintagepaperads.com/1953-...e_p_47017.html
Old January 5, 2014, 09:36 AM   #11
jmr40

All of the 39's are well made guns, I just prefer the straight stocked Mounties. The only photo I have of them, along with a Winchester 94-22. One is a 1958 model, the other 1967.

Old January 5, 2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Kernel

Location: 77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality (Madison), Wisconsin
Quote:
I just prefer the straight stocked
I'm just the opposite. Though I love the look of a straight stock, I prefer a pistol grip due to an old football injury. That's why the the 39-D is perfect for me. It's got a shorter barrel, like a Mountie, but a pistol grip stock like a 39-A. See the banded barrel and dovetailed front sight, also? That how you can tell it's a D.

"We saw this ship come up, it was circling around us, and a guy was standing up on the bridge with a megaphone. And he called out 'Who are you?' and we all yelled out 'Samuel B. Roberts!' He's still circling, so now we're cursing at him. He came back and yelled 'Who won the World Series?' and we all yelled 'SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!' And then we could hear the engines stop, and cargo nets were thrown over the side. That's how we were rescued."

Jack Yusen, Seaman 1st Class and survivor of Task Unit Taffy 3 after two days in the water near Samar Inland, Philippines, October 27, 1944.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Flintknapper

Love my Mountie (circa 1967)

Old January 6, 2014, 01:46 AM   #14
Deog

Would love to have one of those. like unicorns in my area.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:58 AM   #15
Edventures

Agrred ,good ones are hard to find.
I have been looking for a a while also ,my local dealers are looking too.
If anyone has a good for sale P.M. me .
Old January 6, 2014, 05:20 AM   #16
Zeke/PA

My local FFL had a consignment 39-A abut two years ago that now resides in mu gun safe. The rifle , made in the early 60's was very well taken care of and the price was right. I topped it with a vintage 6X Weaver and the rifle is an exceptional shooter. ( 1/2" groups at 50 yds.) I just LOVE shooting it!
Old March 29, 2014, 08:33 AM   #17
DAdams

I bought a third last week. If they are in good shape (90 percent or better) and priced right ($400 or less) I'm buying.

This one is 95 percent or better, clean bore, tight action, no rust or scratches.

Came with the peep sight, FO front sight, interesting sling and a hammer extension.

Old March 29, 2014, 04:52 PM   #18
76shuvlinoff

Hey if you're gonna get one you might as well have two.
My 56 and 77

The very same allegedly sensible people that try to get everyone to focus on mental health side of gun control are the very same people that freely use: "gun nuts", "gun crazies" and "gun fanatics" when cornered in a debate.
Old March 30, 2014, 11:16 PM   #19
Dr.Rob

That first one looks a lot like my Dad's Mountie.
Old March 30, 2014, 11:56 PM   #20
Ruger480

I have one. I bought it NIB from my LGS 4 years ago. This is the first firearm I ever lusted after. Ever since I was 8 years old when I first saw it advertised in an outdoor magazine.

One thing though, I thought they all had gold triggers. What gives?