Quantcast
Opinel's, What's not to love!? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 5, 2014, 08:06 PM   #1
gotboostvr

Opinel's, What's not to love!?

I don't typically visit this particular sub forum often but mentioned in another thread that I carried a few Opinel's from time to time and someone threw some love my way for it. Obviously he gets it, so I figured I'd try and spread the word a bit more with what you can do with these great knives from France.

I'll leave this here for a decent quick write up on them in factory form. But they're flat ground Scandinavian Carbon or stainless steel knives that weight nothing, look great and cost 10 bucks.

This is a No.8 and a No.6 that I've made a bit more "my own"

The No.8 on top I made last night I cut the blade into a Sheep's foot instead of the standard clip point. Below that is a No.6 that I chipped the tip off of so I cut it into a steep drop point, that's not a false edge, but I don't keep it real sharp.

I love these knives and occasionally run into people that recognize them (somehow!) and get all giddy. A few friends and people I work with have gone out and got their own even.

Last edited by gotboostvr; January 5, 2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Holy giant pictures Batman!
Old January 6, 2014, 03:56 AM   #2
olderguns

I bought my first one about 6 months ago and Love them, still carry other knifes mostly but out in the yard and around the house it,s one of these,

Sent from my mind using the few brain cells I have Left....
Old January 6, 2014, 05:29 AM   #3
Zeke/PA

I own AT LEAST 200 knives and the Opinel brand is one of my favorites.
I carry a #12 for my daily chores, a #10 for a smaller knife carry and I like the curved version for gardening tasks. Easy to sharpen, good edge holding ability AND the price is un-beatable especially if purchased on-line!
Old January 6, 2014, 06:35 AM   #4
hso

A quick search on Opis here will show a lot of love for them.

As a folder they're about the best bang for the buck out there.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:34 PM   #5
JR47

When I was stationed in Vietnam, Opinel knives were available cheaply. What I discovered was that many of the ones of that day (1966-69) would absorb water during the rainy season, and you couldn't get them open, or locked, because of the swollen wood.

They usually came coated in a shellac that wore off with use. I own a couple of Opinels today, and a Cold Steel spin-off with a Zytel frame. They are used as collectibles, though, not as EDC.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR47 View Post
Cold Steel spin-off with a Zytel frame.
The Twistmaster.

I loved those.

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old January 6, 2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Zeke/PA

The "swollen wood" tendency is still present in today's Opinels but I've adressed the problem by giving the joint/hinge a liberal dose of WD-40 from tme to time. I favor the Carbon steel versions and I usually Patina a shiney new one with French's yellow mustard.
Old January 6, 2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Deltaboy

Love them.
Old January 6, 2014, 10:24 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Don't own one and have no intention of buying one. They simply aren't my cup of tea and can not understand all the love other than they are cheap.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; January 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old January 7, 2014, 12:02 AM   #10
EmGeeGeorge

http://www.worldknives.com/products/...121n-2943.html
Old January 7, 2014, 12:04 AM   #11
twofifty

22-rimfire, here's why:
I can easily gut a deer, then skin it, and the carbon steel blade is still sharp enough to help with the butchering a few days later. That's good performance for a cheap knife.

If the ergonomics or the lines of the knife don't please your hand and eye then I understand you not liking them. However, you're missing out on some great reliable performance in a nice light compact no-gimmick package.
Old January 7, 2014, 04:34 AM   #12
Zeke/PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
22-rimfire, here's why:
I can easily gut a deer, then skin it, and the carbon steel blade is still sharp enough to help with the butchering a few days later. That's good performance for a cheap knife.

If the ergonomics or the lines of the knife don't please your hand and eye then I understand you not liking them. However, you're missing out on some great reliable performance in a nice light compact no-gimmick package.
I mostly carry a #10 in a flashlight holder and the knife is always shaving sharp.
However a mere "touch up" on a leather/cardboard strop occurs after a day of use.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:03 AM   #13
22-rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
22-rimfire, here's why:

I don't deny that they do what you say. The crucial word in your statements is "cheap", but being cheap is not a bad thing. I guess I find them a little gimmicky even though they have been made for a long time. I don't find them particularly pleasing to my eye. Feel is not a big issue; they are mostly just "there". So, if you like them or even prefer them over other knives, I find that great.

I like SAKs an awful lot and some people find them gimmicky. So, it is mostly a matter of personal taste and preference. I find myself gravitating away from modern knives to more traditional designs in the last couple of years. I really don't feel a need for a fast opening knife although being able to open a knife one handed is useful at times.
Old January 8, 2014, 04:45 AM   #14
GLOOB

I carry a #8 on occasion. There's plenty to not like, if you want to be honest. But variety is good, and Opinels are different and inexpensive. I have too many knives to NOT have one of these.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:03 AM   #15
DNS

My 12 has been terrific and I've got a 3 on order.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:57 AM   #16
Phaedrus/69

The No.8 is probably my favorite. I have probably ten Opinels and they're great knives. Yeah, they can swell up when they get wet. The carbon ones are the best IMO. I haven't had much luck getting the kind of edge I like on any of their Inox models.
Old January 8, 2014, 11:04 AM   #17
Carl Levitian

Opinel's are wonderful knives, and they cut just as well if not better than some real high dollar knives. Yes, the swelling when wet is a minor irritant, but c an be great reduced by just lubing the joint with something that will soak into the wood. I've got Opinels to stand up to being totally submerged in a glass of water for the better part of an hour. I used to sand off the finish and do the wood with Helmsman spar urethane. Then greased the joint with gasoline jelly. Wipe out the excess with a folded up paper towel. Now I just take the knife and soak the hinge area with food grade mineral oil. Once the wood gets pretty saturated with the mineral oil, water can't swell it that much. It may get a little more snug when soaked in water, but not that bad. When it dries out its back to normal.

I can't think of many pocket knives that offer the light weight of the Opinel, the quality of blade with the full convex grind, and outstanding cutting ability of the Opinel. Throw in the very low cost, and it's a win-win for the buyer. Opinel saws are good too!
Old January 9, 2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Liberty1776

and they're sharp as hell. Tell you what, every chef in France worth his salt carries one all the time...(have to test stuff at the market that day, you know...)
Old January 9, 2014, 09:51 PM   #19
twofifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
I don't deny that they do what you say. The crucial word in your statements is "cheap", but being cheap is not a bad thing. I guess I find them a little gimmicky even though they have been made for a long time. I don't find them particularly pleasing to my eye. Feel is not a big issue; they are mostly just "there". So, if you like them or even prefer them over other knives, I find that great.

I like SAKs an awful lot and some people find them gimmicky. So, it is mostly a matter of personal taste and preference. I find myself gravitating away from modern knives to more traditional designs in the last couple of years. I really don't feel a need for a fast opening knife although being able to open a knife one handed is useful at times.
I like SAKs too.

22-rimfire, have you looked at the Victorinox "SwissTool" pliers? They're a bit heavy but if a guy's going to carry a leatherman type tool, the Victorinox model is an excellent choice.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:54 PM   #20
twofifty

Carl Levitian, I'd never heard or seen that Opinel folder saw. It's perfect!
I want one for my big game gutting kit.
Old January 9, 2014, 10:04 PM   #21
Deltaboy

I want to get the Saw.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:35 AM   #22
olderguns

I tried to force a patina with mustard on this one didn't turn out like I planned but I still like it.
IMG_20140110_100848.jpg

Old January 10, 2014, 03:56 PM   #23
Zeke/PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguns View Post
I tried to force a patina with mustard on this one didn't turn out like I planned but I still like it.
Attachment 193392
The blade should be free of oil,grease or fingerprints before the mustard treatment.
I usually wipe the blade with a rag dampened with Mineral Spirits before applying the mustard.
Old January 10, 2014, 04:54 PM   #24
MikeJackmin

I'd done a nice even patina with hot vinegar.

I start by degreasing the blade, and putting a little masking tape over all the wood within an inch or two of where the blade is. Then I find a mug or a jar deep enough to submerge the blade, fill it with vinegar, and pop it into the microwave until it just starts to boil. Take it out, insert the blade, and watch the bubbles.

After maybe a minute the blade will turn almost black, but most of the black will wipe off. I rinse it under fresh water, and wipe off whatever comes off easily. Then it goes back into the vinegar for another one-minute soak.

The repeated applications tend to average out to a nice even color, and you can get just the shade of grey that you like. Reheat the vinegar as necessary. Maybe five dunks is about average.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old January 10, 2014, 05:06 PM   #25
olderguns

Thanks guys,
I may retry it can,t do any worse,
But then again I might get used to stripes