Quantcast
Your hunting boots? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 25, 2014, 10:57 PM   #1
andrewdl007

Your hunting boots?

What boots do you wear when you hunt and what kind of hunting is it? Do you go for classics or modern boots? When I duck hunt I wear Bean Boots and leather lace-ups during quail hunting.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:08 PM   #2
gbran

70% of my hunting is in tennis shoes, the balance in insulated GorTex style boots.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:41 PM   #3
rcmodel

And old pair of Wolverene Gore-Tex leather lace-up's for upland game.

Muck Boots for wet, or insulated LaCrosseŽ Alpha Burly's for very cold & wet.

Tennis shoes?
Seriously?

You got no snakes, cactus, nettles, corn stubble, sand burs, mud, or Snakes where you hunt?

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; January 25, 2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:49 PM   #4
mnhntr

Lacrosse Alpha Burley in the early season and Danner Insulated Pronghorns in the late season.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:57 PM   #5
gbran

RC

Quote:
You got no snakes, cactus, nettles, corn stubble, sand burs, mud, or Snakes where you hunt?
I'm in central CA. I generally hunt in the lower Sierra's, up to about 5,500 feet. I hunt quail, turkey, squirrel, deer. Tennis shoes are fine until it gets wet or too cold.

Generally when out of state it's boots, but I do have a nice area in TX that tennis shoes ar OK.

I hate boots.
Old January 26, 2014, 12:24 AM   #6
LRShooting

I hunt with either 11$ walmart "servus" mud boots or a 200$ pair of danners (just work boots). Mud boots usually are for anything below 35 degrees with 2 pair of socks and anytime its gonna be muddy. Work boots for all else. Never had an issue yet. Oh, and if you go hunting for fish in the river, a old pair of tennis shoes without laces that are 2-3 sizes too small are perfect!
Old January 26, 2014, 06:12 AM   #7
redneck2

For deer during cold weather (typically down to maybe zero) I just got a pair of Irish Setter insulated/gore-tex on sale at Cabelas a few years ago. They are warm even sitting on stand. I like them a lot. Weaved nylon so they are not heavy.

I had some Rockies years ago. No good. Way heavy and never were waterproof.

For turkey in the spring I use slip on rubber knee boots.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Robert

Schnee Hunter II 13" for anything in and around snow. Absolute best pac boot available anywhere. For dry days I have a pair of Danner Full Curl. I do almost all my hunting in the high rocky mountains. Depending on the weather and snow I sometimes get above tree line.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:09 AM   #9
ETSU_Gal

L.L. Bean! They are expensive, but SO worth it. If you use them only for hunting, they will last forever.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Sav .250

Have to be water-proof. Insulated. Light as possible. Good sole design.

Lots of boots match those basic requirements so price is another consideration.

If they look good.............they get in front of the line.

Deer hunting mostly.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:43 AM   #11
jmr40

Currently these for light duty deer, small game and turkey hunting

http://www.rei.com/product/780681/sa...ing-boots-mens

And these for rougher terrain.

http://www.backcountry.com/lowa-banf...king-boot-mens

I've pretty much given up on boots marketed to hunters. Most are only interested in which camo pattern they can make them in instead of building a quality, comfortable boot. I've found that I don't need insulated boots with good wool socks down to about zero and the same money buys me a much higher quality hiker. Never hunted in temps below zero so I may have to reconsider if I ever do.

I use gaiters in snow or rain and wear rubber hip boots for waterfowl hunting.

Been using various hikers for over 15 years now, but I have found some deals on a few pairs of military surplus boots lately that I occasionally wear.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:48 AM   #12
hunttheevil

Lacrosse snake boots. Too many creepy crawlers around here!

Browning High Power
XD 45
Protec 25
and the long guns
CCW
Old January 26, 2014, 10:01 AM   #13
oneounceload

I have two pairs of insulated US-made Danners, one with 200 grams for chilly weather, and one with 800 grams for much colder weather. Both are waterproof and they will last forever with a modicum of care

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old January 26, 2014, 10:37 AM   #14
627PCFan

For dry hunting I use a pair of 8 inch Redwings with custom insoles. They are on year 6, and decided to try a pair of Irish Setter Wingshooter boots this year and Im not happy with them. They might be owned by Redwing but they arent redwings for sure. If there's mud I use Lacrosse Aeroheads.
Old January 26, 2014, 11:18 AM   #15
Arkansas Paul

I have a pair of lace up water proof 600 gram Thinsulate boots made by Browning.
They're okay, but I plan to upgrade to a good pair of Mucks.
Old January 26, 2014, 01:00 PM   #16
lpsharp88

I just use my old military issue Gore-Tex lined boots. Water proof and warm enough to keep me happy. No complaints
Old January 26, 2014, 02:52 PM   #17
der Teufel

I have a pair of Doc Marten's ankle boots that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago for $5. They're the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned.
Old January 26, 2014, 03:29 PM   #18
Zeke/PA

For cold weather deer hunting I have a pair of Sorels with the felt liners that are at least 30 years old. I've worn them only for hunting and kept the tops treated with Mink Oil. An older pair if leathers ( Woods & Stream)? fill the bill for not so cold hunts but once again the Mink Oil is used.
Old January 26, 2014, 03:37 PM   #19
d2wing

I go through lots of boots bird hunting. My favorites are the Browning green kangaroo skin boots with thinsulate and goretex. Cabelas sells them under their own brand as well. I haven't seen them lately and my last pair is Danner pronghorns. I wear different heavier boots for deer season usually. It is wet a lot here in Minnesota and often cold with ice and snow. I never wear rubber boots anymore.
Old January 26, 2014, 04:23 PM   #20
MrBorland

My last pair of boots have been Thorogoods, and I'm a fan. I wear their 6" Job Pro for much of my shooting activities, including hunting, though their 9" Navigator might be the better pure hunting boot. Either way, good quality, comfort, price, and made in the USA to...um..."boot".
Old January 26, 2014, 04:36 PM   #21
Ankeny

I have flat feet and my feet are wide across the toes. For that reason, I wear Danner boots. They have a couple of models that fit well, the Pronghorn and the 453 GTX. I am on my third set of GTX boots. I also have a pair of Danner Osprey boots. I think I am going to try Lowa when my Pronghorn boots wear out.
Old January 26, 2014, 04:45 PM   #22
bannockburn

For most of the time a pair of Rocky Portland boots will do. Waterproof and insulated with a fairly aggressive tread pattern. Cold winter weather calls for an old pair of Sorel boots that I have had for many years. The only thing I have had to replace is the felt liner inserts.
Old January 26, 2014, 05:03 PM   #23
matrem

Mostly 6" uninsulated Red Wings for g-hogs and 18" Alpha Burly's for bow hunting.

A pair of Goretex lined Merrell's proved to be great for the October "black powder" season here this past fall.

As I see it, I have as much right to situation specific "huntin" boots as my wife has to situation specific "dress" shoes.

Last edited by matrem; January 26, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 26, 2014, 05:53 PM   #24
LSMS

Muck Arctic Pro for cold weather. Spring Turkey and early bow season I have a pair of lightweight Rocky lace ups. Not sure of model but they're pretty much a high top tennis shoe with boot treads.
Old January 26, 2014, 07:07 PM   #25
skiking

I wear Zamberlan 996 Vioz GT boots. Love the support they provide, they make side hilling with 100lbs of elk meat on your back almost enjoyable. Feet stay dry and warm and feet don't get fatigued hiking up and down mountains all week.