Quantcast
NICS Standing - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Legal

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old November 13, 2014, 11:57 PM   #1
IOwnTheWorld1994
Member
 
 
Join Date: July 24, 2014
Posts: 51
NICS Standing

Is there a way I can go to the NICS site and type in my information and see whether or not I'm in good standing with my respective state or do I have to take it up another way?
IOwnTheWorld1994 is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 12:01 AM   #2
newfalguy101
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 14, 2005
Location: Clay Center, Nebraska
Posts: 1,034
No

You have to have an FFL and be registered with NICS
__________________
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul..........BUT, Front site, PRESS, repeat as needed
newfalguy101 is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 12:04 AM   #3
IOwnTheWorld1994
Member
 
 
Join Date: July 24, 2014
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfalguy101 View Post
No

You have to have an FFL and be registered with NICS
So that means I have to make an attempt to buy a gun in order to see whether or not I'm cleared?
IOwnTheWorld1994 is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 12:21 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Moderator
 
 
Join Date: April 29, 2006
Location: California - San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 7,727
If you're a California resident, you may request a Personal Firearms Eligibility Check from the California DOJ. Follow the link for details.
__________________
"Though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, the frogs do not die in sport, but in earnest." Bion (Greek poet, ca. 100 BCE)
Frank Ettin is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 12:30 PM   #5
dogtown tom
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 15, 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 3,594
How would you answer the questions on the 4473?
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...f-f-4473-1.pdf
A "YES" answer on Questions 11b through 11k makes you ineligible to acquire a firearm from a licensed dealer. The dealer would not even run a NICS check.
__________________
Need a FFL in north Dallas/Plano/Allen/Frisco/McKinney ? Just EMAIL me!

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military, police, firefighters or schoolteachers)
dogtown tom is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 01:01 PM   #6
kanook
Member
 
 
Join Date: February 27, 2009
Posts: 1,863
Hire a lawyer and have your name investigated. If something comes up you already have a lawyer to help clear it up. If you fill out the form and fail it is one more for the grabbers.
__________________
Ruger Old Army Club ... #3
kanook is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 03:19 PM   #7
mgkdrgn
Member
 
 
Join Date: July 21, 2008
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOwnTheWorld1994 View Post
So that means I have to make an attempt to buy a gun in order to see whether or not I'm cleared?
Yes. Like Nancy P said, you have to pass the bill to find out what is in it!
__________________
COLUMBIA ARMS
LEXINGTON, SC
Transfers ($20), CONSIGNMENT SALES (15% commission)
mgkdrgn is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Jim K
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 31, 2002
Posts: 15,472
I confess to being a bit puzzled. I have no criminal record, but I think most of those who do know about it (some are even proud of it). The only thing that trips up some folks who don't think of it is the misdemeanor domestic abuse business.

Jim
Jim K is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 08:42 PM   #9
newfalguy101
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 14, 2005
Location: Clay Center, Nebraska
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
I confess to being a bit puzzled. I have no criminal record, but I think most of those who do know about it (some are even proud of it). The only thing that trips up some folks who don't think of it is the misdemeanor domestic abuse business.

Jim
Or a felony that happened 20 years ago when the guy was young and dumb.....
__________________
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul..........BUT, Front site, PRESS, repeat as needed
newfalguy101 is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 09:32 PM   #10
CoalTrain49
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 10, 2014
Posts: 635
If you have no criminal record and not under any restraining order (you would know that) then there is no reason to suspect that you wouldn't pass a check. You may get delayed but not denied. Assault (domestic abuse) may not be a misdemeanor, that's a traffic ticket or jaywalking.
__________________
You're not hunting rabbits down on the farm son, now
Secure that weapon!
CoalTrain49 is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 09:50 PM   #11
bikemutt
Contributing Member
 
 
Join Date: December 25, 2010
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 2,801
You are entitled to copy of your FBI record, if one exists, a web search will tell you how to go about getting yours. You will need to submit FBI-approved fingerprints. Depending on your state of residence a clean FBI record should mean a clean state record and good to go.
__________________
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
bikemutt is offline  
Old November 14, 2014, 11:36 PM   #12
Kyle M.
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 31, 2012
Location: Bucyrus Ohio
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
How would you answer the questions on the 4473?
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...f-f-4473-1.pdf
A "YES" answer on Questions 11b through 11k makes you ineligible to acquire a firearm from a licensed dealer. The dealer would not even run a NICS check.
Not necessarily true I've had several FFL holders tell me they've had people over the years answer yes to some of those questions and still get through the check. According to them they are required by law to run the check regardless of what you answer.
Kyle M. is offline  
Old November 15, 2014, 12:58 AM   #13
dogtown tom
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 15, 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 3,594
Quote:
Kyle M. Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
How would you answer the questions on the 4473?
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...f-f-4473-1.pdf
A "YES" answer on Questions 11b through 11k makes you ineligible to acquire a firearm from a licensed dealer. The dealer would not even run a NICS check.
Not necessarily true I've had several FFL holders tell me they've had people over the years answer yes to some of those questions and still get through the check. According to them they are required by law to run the check regardless of what you answer.
Yes, ABSOLUTELY true.
You and your "several FFL holders" need to spend a few minutes and read the instructions in the Form 4473.

The instructions on the Form 4473 (last paragraph of page 5 and top of page 6) tell the licensee to NOT contact NICS for a background check if the buyer answered "yes" to any of Questions 11b through 11l.

I find it difficult to believe that "several FFL holders" could be so stupid as to try and complete a sale to someone who answered "yes" to any of those questions. Answering "yes" to those questions means the buyer is a prohibited person and ineligible to be transferred a firearm.

A dealer who ignores the instructions, conducts a NICS check and subsequently completes the transfer commits a violation of Federal law. Passing a NICS check doesn't magically undo questions 11b- 11l. If he's lucky they'll just yank his FFL, but he could be fined or imprisoned for such an incredibly stupid act.
__________________
Need a FFL in north Dallas/Plano/Allen/Frisco/McKinney ? Just EMAIL me!

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military, police, firefighters or schoolteachers)
dogtown tom is offline  
Old November 15, 2014, 10:33 AM   #14
Kyle M.
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 31, 2012
Location: Bucyrus Ohio
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Yes, ABSOLUTELY true.
You and your "several FFL holders" need to spend a few minutes and read the instructions in the Form 4473.

The instructions on the Form 4473 (last paragraph of page 5 and top of page 6) tell the licensee to NOT contact NICS for a background check if the buyer answered "yes" to any of Questions 11b through 11l.

I find it difficult to believe that "several FFL holders" could be so stupid as to try and complete a sale to someone who answered "yes" to any of those questions. Answering "yes" to those questions means the buyer is a prohibited person and ineligible to be transferred a firearm.

A dealer who ignores the instructions, conducts a NICS check and subsequently completes the transfer commits a violation of Federal law. Passing a NICS check doesn't magically undo questions 11b- 11l. If he's lucky they'll just yank his FFL, but he could be fined or imprisoned for such an incredibly stupid act.
Well then theres some ATF agents out there spreading some B.S., I talked to one of those dealers at about 8 o'clock this morning because I stopped to get some primers. He told me that the last time the ATF was in last January they told him he better be calling them in regardless. According to said agents being dishonorably discharged doesn't necessarily make you inellgible to purchase a firearm, it depends on why you were discharged. As far as the felonies go some people get them expunged or whatever they call it over the years, but technically they were still once convicted so they still answer yes. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just curious as to why the ATF would lie to a dealer.
Kyle M. is offline  
Old November 15, 2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Midwest
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 13, 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
Well then theres some ATF agents out there spreading some B.S., I talked to one of those dealers at about 8 o'clock this morning because I stopped to get some primers. He told me that the last time the ATF was in last January they told him he better be calling them in regardless. According to said agents being dishonorably discharged doesn't necessarily make you inellgible to purchase a firearm, it depends on why you were discharged. As far as the felonies go some people get them expunged or whatever they call it over the years, but technically they were still once convicted so they still answer yes. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just curious as to why the ATF would lie to a dealer.
Dishonorable Discharge is equivalent to a Felony, (DD is handled through General Court Martials). Having a DD prohibits a person from possessing firearms and ammunition and disqualifies a person from purchasing a firearm. It would take a LOT for a person to get a DD, like rape and other sex crimes, drug dealing, murder.

Other discharges like Bad Conduct are lessor offenses usually involved fighting, dereliction of duty, gambling, drunkenness and the like. Convictions usually a few weeks or months of jail time and/or fines.
.
__________________
I am not a lawyer, I just study the history of gun control laws.
__________________________________________________________________________
Looking for "ghost guns" which shoot "heat seeking bullets that cook animals" with "more thrusts per squeeze" using "magazines that can only be used once" featuring "the shoulder thing that goes up" and "assault weapons that can be bought at a store without a NICS check".
.
Midwest is offline  
Old November 15, 2014, 03:32 PM   #16
dogtown tom
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 15, 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 3,594
Quote:
Kyle M.
Well then theres some ATF agents out there spreading some B.S.
Imagine that.
So your dealer friend accepts the verbal opinion of an anonymous "ATF agent" yet ignores Federal law, ATF regulations and the instructions on the 4473?
He's an idiot.


Quote:
... He told me that the last time the ATF was in last January they told him he better be calling them in regardless. According to said agents being dishonorably discharged doesn't necessarily make you inellgible to purchase a firearm....
Despite what the instructions say on the Form?
Again, your dealer friend is an idiot for ignoring WRITTEN instructions, WRITTEN Federal law and WRITTEN ATF regulations.

Doesn't that make you wonder about his listening comprehension as well?



Quote:
it depends on why you were discharged.
No, it doesn't.
A Dishonorable Discharge is EXACTLY what it says it is. And its a disqualifier for purchasing a firearm.




Quote:
As far as the felonies go some people get them expunged or whatever they call it over the years, but technically they were still once convicted so they still answer yes.
You've not read the instructions either, have you?
If you had you would know why that's not true.




Quote:
I'm not saying your wrong I'm just curious as to why the ATF would lie to a dealer.
I seriously doubt the ATF told the dealer any such "lie"...........the Form 4473 says in plain, easy to understand English why a "yes" answer disqualifies a buyer.
__________________
Need a FFL in north Dallas/Plano/Allen/Frisco/McKinney ? Just EMAIL me!

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military, police, firefighters or schoolteachers)
dogtown tom is offline  
Old November 15, 2014, 03:35 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Moderator
 
 
Join Date: April 29, 2006
Location: California - San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 7,727
The OP's question has been answered.
__________________
"Though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, the frogs do not die in sport, but in earnest." Bion (Greek poet, ca. 100 BCE)
Frank Ettin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise.
This site, its contents, Shooting Reviews, and its contents are Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Firearms Forum, Inc.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
Although The High Road has attempted to provide accurate information on the forum, The High Road assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. All information is provided "as is" with all faults without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Neither The High Road nor any of its directors, members, managers, employees, agents, vendors, or suppliers will be liable for any direct, indirect, general, bodily injury, compensatory, special, punitive, consequential, or incidental damages including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage to data arising out of the use or inability to use this forum or any services associated with this forum, or damages from the use of or reliance on the information present on this forum, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages.