Quantcast
lead pellets for bullet casting - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 19, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1
dodo bird

lead pellets for bullet casting

Anyone use fired airgun lead pellets for bullet casting?
Old February 19, 2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Arkansas Paul

I would think they would be pretty close to pure.

If they are, they would be good for BP stuff.
If you're gonna use them for modern loads, you'd need to add something to them to harden them up a little.

That's assuming they're pure, which I think they are. They're pretty soft in any case.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Scooter22

They are mostly pure lead and soft as noted. You can blend them with other metals like tin and antimony to make up a harder alloy such as Lyman #2. Do a web search for alloy recepies. Only problem is most pellets are well under 20 grains so your gonna need alot to cast a batch of larger bullets. Wheel weights are the best cheap option if you can get them. Just use the dull gray ones. The shiny silver ones have zinc on them and zinc even in very small amounts will make a batch of alloy not fill out the bullets and cast properly. Get a copy on the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. It's the bible of bullet casting. Good luck.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:35 PM   #4
dodo bird

I dont cast, however i have a good pellet trap that recovers my pellets pretty well. I have been keeping them. Better than throwing them in the trash.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Arkansas Paul

^ If you save up several pounds, I have no doubt you could sell them. Even a few dollars is better than throwing them out.
Old March 28, 2014, 11:53 AM   #6
tiamat

Conversely, does anyone re-cast them for use as pellets again?
Old March 29, 2014, 06:20 AM   #7
NuJudge

You can find discussions on both recovering Lead pellets for melting, and casting new pellets from Lead on the Yellow forum:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

Some pellets intended for high velocity are not Lead, now. I don't have anything to do with these, and have no experience with them, but if they are Zinc, they will cause no end of problems with Lead casting.

Many people on the Yellow forum are casting for large caliber air guns, up to caliber .50.
Old March 29, 2014, 04:27 PM   #8
tiamat

.50 caliber air guns? that's pretty intense.