Quantcast
You ever got someone a gun as a gift? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 12, 2014, 08:35 AM   #1
futurerider103

You ever got someone a gun as a gift?

Yesterday was my dad's 63rd birthday and I found a used Mossberg 500AG 12ga with a factory adjustable choke. He had been talking about wanting a pump shotgun for about 9 months but he's kind of a tight wad so he would never get one.
So we blew out candles and I went outside and got the gun brought the gun in and handed it to him and he immediately started smiling big and said "awesome!" And got all excited. I had 3 shells in his garage from forever ago. He loaded them up turned the choke to full and took aim at a target from about 30yds leaving a pattern that I could cover with my hand.
He was so excited he already made plans for the up coming dove and pheasant sessions.
Just wondering your stories.
Old August 12, 2014, 09:43 AM   #2
shootstraight57

Upon graduating the police academy my cousin presented me with a Colt Combat Commander.
Boy was I surprised!
Old August 12, 2014, 09:44 AM   #3
JohnM

In my family guns were given as gifts often.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Browning Guy

I got my son a Browning shotgun when he graduated high school. Too bad for him he had signed up for Marine Corp and reported to Paris Island before hunting season that fall. He didn't get back home for fall hunting seasons for over 4 years. Dear ole' dad got to try it out in the duck blind before he did!
Old August 12, 2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Deltaboy

1/3 of all my guns are gifts and several are pre 1968.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Carl N. Brown

Well, the old National Survey on Private Ownership and use of Firearms (used by the Clinton and Obama administrations for gun policy purposes) had a survey on how a random sample of US adults acquired their guns.
19% were as gifts from family or friends.
5% were inheritances, sorta like gifts ya know.

My first gun was a Christmas present. In the 1970s gave my brother in law and another family friend muzzleloading pistols. I say getting and giving guns as gifts is common among gun owners, especially primarily sporting purposes buffs.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:47 AM   #7
bannockburn

A buddy of mine had been wanting an AK for the longest time but really didn't have the money for one. So a mutual friend and I bought him one for Christmas, along with ammo, extra mags, and accessories. I put the gun in an old shipping carton and told him it was some tools (a shovel and a pick axe), for his farm. Wrapped up the ammo in some empty nail boxes and the mags and pouches in a box that was for a floor heater. Perfect camoflage because it appeared to be things he needed around the house. The look on his face when he realized what everything really was, was truly priceless.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:53 AM   #8
taliv

i had a car die while i was out of town. just happened to have a friend that owned a used car dealership in that town. he bought my broke down ride and sold me one that worked at a really good price. as a 'thanks' i bought him a shotgun. not terribly expensive but it was the one i always wanted... a huglu bobwhite side by side
Distinguished Rifleman Badge #1971
Geocaching Targets! www.targetcaching.com
Precision Rifle Series
Old August 12, 2014, 11:04 AM   #9
TUBBY1

Have given guns for birthdays and Christmas to my sons and a red rider to all seven grandchildren at birth. Even though they couldn't shoot them they would know how grampa felt about shooting even if I didn't live to see it.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Jim, West PA

Often. To my sons and wife.
In Pa. one can give a gift of a firearm to a family member with no paper work required.

Am i proud to be an American ?...you bet i am.Tho, as of late, embarrassed at what Her people have become.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:09 PM   #11
aarondhgraham

Yep in recent years as well,,,

Yep in recent years as well,,,

A few years back I got a young college boy into shooting,,,
For his graduation I gave him a Ruger 22/45,,,
And a custom holster for it.

This is him reading the ownership paper,,,
You can see the pistol in the paper.

Last December for her graduation,,
I gave a young lady a Heritage .22 revolver,,,
As well as a custom made gunbelt, cartridge pouch, and holster.

I'm currently teaching two co-ed students to shoot,,,
If they keep it up and continue on their own,,,
They will probably get a pistol as well.

Probably new Heritage revolvers,,,
They are well made a shoot very nicely,,,
And they are appropriate as our university mascot is Pistol Pete.

More importantly, as single-action revolvers,,,
They seem to be legal everywhere,,,
And I can afford them.

Aarond

Old August 12, 2014, 01:13 PM   #12
wally

Yes.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:25 PM   #13
Legionnaire

Yes. The first gun I ever owned was a gift from my wife.

We gave our son a deer rifle for his eleventh birthday; years later he traded it back to me for an AR15. Same deer rifle was then gifted to my daughter who hunts. Both son and daughter took their first deer with that rifle.

Gave our son, then a Marine, a Beretta M92 as a college graduation present. Our oldest daughter received a revolver (her choice) on her graduation.

Don't expect we're done yet.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Rembrandt

Done it many times.....gotten to where the kids are always wondering if ol' Dad's going to spring a Christmas surprise again.

Have given Browning High Powers, Winchester 52's, Winchester model 12's, Browning A5's, S&W 41's, S&W K-17's, black powder rifles, and many more.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Dr.Rob

A few. Passed the hat among our hunting buddies and bought my dad a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter for his 50th birthday. Bought a black powder rifle for a buddy the same way.

I've gotten a few too.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Furncliff

My wife has given me guns several times; a muzzleloader, a 1911 a great CZ 452, a few scopes. Not to long ago I gave her a Brown BL22 for Valentines Day, she keeps it on the wall in the kitchen.
Old August 12, 2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Al Thompson

Two buddies really stepped up to the plate when I was unexpectedly deployed. One got a 9mm S&W and the other got an AR-15. Both firearms had the owner's name engraved on them. The engraving was fairly inexpensive and (IMHO) really personalizes things.
RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHATS BEYOND IT
Old August 12, 2014, 08:00 PM   #18
acdodd

I gave a S&W 686 no dash .357 mag, A S&W Airweight .38 with Crimson laser grips, a new Heritage .22/.22 Mag and a new Henry .22 to my kids and grand kids last Christmas.
Nobody has ever given me a gun but I keep hoping.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:19 PM   #19
el indio

Before we were married, my soon to be wife gave me a Ruger Super Blackhawk. It is stainless and a 7 1/2 inch barrel. That Christmas her parents gave me a 2 power Leupold scope and mounts in brushed aluminum. We have been married for 17 years.
Old August 12, 2014, 09:19 PM   #20
jimmyraythomason

I gave my dad a Mossberg 500 for his birthday in 1972. I gave my brother a Wby Vangard in .270, his youngest son a High Standard rifle in .270. His oldest son a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. I gave his ex-son-in-law a Rossi .38 sp. My ex-son-in-law a Savage Model 110 in 7mm mag for graduating the police academy. I gave my former pastor a sporterized Lee Enfield in .303 brt and my wife a Taurus UL-85 for an anniversary present. That's all off the top of my head. ETA,I gave my older daughter a Ruger Mini-30 and Savage Model 340 in 30/30.
Pet peeves;"If you don't carry your gun like I do you're irresponsible","if you don't use the lube,cleaner and preservative that I do...you don't know guns","if you don't agree with my favorite gun scribe/guru,you are obviously uninformed".....just to name a few.

Last edited by jimmyraythomason; August 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:08 PM   #21
Twiki357

Yep. My first gun was a JC Higgins 22 rifle from my parents. And my son’s first gun was a Marlin 22 rifle from me.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:24 PM   #22
1911 guy

I've been on both ends. Have been given a .22 and a 20 gauge shotgun from my grandfather and father, have given a pistol to my father.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:42 PM   #23
Hardtarget

I gave both of my sons a Ruger .22 pistol a few years ago for Christmas. Three years ago I received an M1 Garand for Christmas.

We've got 'em comin' 'n goin'!

Mark
Old August 13, 2014, 12:05 AM   #24
MICHAEL T

Yes I gave my stepson a almost new Taurus PT92 . 1st time he needed some money he sold it. Be last time he ever gets a gun from me
http://bersachat.com #1 board on net for Bersa pistols and now American Classic 1911's have their own place

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old August 13, 2014, 12:10 AM   #25
ozarkhillbilly

I have given many and received many. I have found you reap what you sow,so I sow guns.