Quantcast
.22lr MEGATHREAD - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 23, 2014, 09:01 PM   #51
MedWheeler

What is "find it"? I don't follow..
Old February 23, 2014, 10:45 PM   #52
Jaxondog

The last box of 22s that I bought were $8.00 for Federal, 550 rounds at Walmart. I believe the 10-22 mags for 30rounds were about the same. Been a long time and I still don't need any.
Old February 23, 2014, 11:18 PM   #53
HammsBeer

Have to give the stores credit for "trying" to control the ammo situation by instituting box limits so everyone has a chance to get a little bit.

I've done my part by not buying .22 this past year when it's shown up on the shelf, and just shooting my own stash.
Old February 23, 2014, 11:26 PM   #54
jcwit

Haven't bought any in years, no need to, have a lifetime supply for me at my age. I'm 70, 30 to 50 thousands rounds will more than likely last me.
Old February 24, 2014, 12:18 AM   #55
22-rimfire

I think that may last you unless you start feeding the grand kids ammo when they visit.

I have a similar amount on hand, maybe a bit more. It is primarily promotional grade ammo versus the good stuff.
Old February 24, 2014, 12:18 AM   #56
bldsmith

Last 400rd brick I bought was American Eagle HP. Payed 19.95 for the brick. There was 3 of us standing there. I asked for the AE's and one guy walked away. Still had some rem golds on the shelf. I even offered to let him have them. He graciously declined. Don't know why I bought them. Have plenty, don't shoot 22 all that much.
Old February 24, 2014, 12:52 AM   #57
Impureclient

Quote:
Don't know why I bought them. Have plenty, don't shoot 22 all that much.
I can't believe you even wrote that in a .22LR thread.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:22 AM   #58
tuj

I know most people think of 22lr as plinking fun, but since cheap ammo is not available, but top-quality ammo is, now is the time to focus on tuning your rifles and shooting for accuracy. I get Tenex for $19 a box and it has always been available; the crisis never effected it because its expensive ammo. But its also probably the most accurate ammo on the market. If you decide to get some Tenex, get some from different lot numbers. Eley publishes the average speed for a lot as well, so try some different variations. Its rare that I can't find a gun that won't shoot its best when matched to a lot of Tenex.

Sadly, Eley Match typically shoots almost as good as Tenex for 13.70 a box, but it seems to be largely unavailable. This wasn't the case until recently.

Other good ammo's to try include:
Lapua Center-X. I sold a brick to a friend for $90.
Lapua Midas.
SK Pistol Match/Rifle Match.
RWS R50 / Federal Ultramatch UM22.

If you need a challenge, try shooting the USBR target at 50 yards. Dime-sized groups mean nothing; the 10-ring on the USBR target is only 0.1" across.

If you don't have a USBR target, you can order some from http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/benchrest/

If you just want to try it, a 10-bull version is available to print out on 8.5x11" paper:
http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-.pdf
http://www.southpondcottages.com/met...Joe-BLACKa.pdf

Make sure you set the PDF scaling to 100% before you print.

Last edited by tuj; February 24, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old February 24, 2014, 07:33 AM   #59
DeadFlies

I bought three (limit) 50-round boxes of Blazer standard vel. For $2.49 yesterday at wal-mart. I look there frequently and they get .22 ammo about once a month but it's always random stuff: bulk packs one month, stingers the next.

But I probably make 5-10 trips to walmart for each time I find ammo.

Wal-mart never has ammo, not for long anyway, because it's still cheap there. Gander mountain almost always has some ammo because it's overpriced enough to prevent resellers from making any profit. Except on .22 ammo. Gander is still cheap enough and, shooters are still willing to overpay enough for some money to be made.

I buy everything I can find if it's less than about $.08/round and up to $.10/round for mini-mags.

I used to buy all the 9mm I could find but it has since become easy to find 9mm at prices under $.30/round. This is not cheap but it proves to me that supply and demand are working things out; I expect the same to happen with .22lr ammo sooner or later. We can't go back to the old days but, the current madness will end eventually and we'll all get used to paying $.075/round.

Shootings sports are expensive. Even with rimfires.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:01 AM   #60
bracer

I v not purchased any rimfire ammo for the past two years. I have two bolt action 22 RF, one semi auto 22 RF , one 17 HM2 RF bolt action , and one 17 HMR RF bolt action rifles. I will only purchase the brand and type of hunting ammo which is accurate in each of my rifles. I m retired ,live in prairie dog country , and use up a lot of RF ammo. In the past whenever there was ammo my rifles liked were on sale I d get a case or two. So I still have some bricks of 500 ea cartridges on hand. A few years ago I kept track of the p dogs I shot with the rimfire rifles and it was a bit over 2,000. If I hit them 80 % of the time I shot it took about 2,500 rounds that year. Since plague and poison has reduces the p dog population its unlikely that I will ever have that much shooting in one year. This year I got a CZ Varmint 17 Hornet rifle . I only have five boxes of 25 ea rounds Hornady and box of brass which I will reload . So I will be using less RF ammo this year. Could be that I ll get by until after all the hoarders have what they wont.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:04 AM   #61
Queen_of_Thunder

Location: Where God purifies the soul. The West Texas desert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
I think that may last you unless you start feeding the grand kids ammo when they visit.

I have a similar amount on hand, maybe a bit more. It is primarily promotional grade ammo versus the good stuff.
As someone feeding the sons and grandchildren 22lr from a distance jcwit's stockpile is not enough. I'm shipping another care package of 5,000 rounds of 22lr. My kids and grandkids are going to have to use slingshots as granny is gettig to old for this 22lr hunt.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:20 AM   #62
jrdolall
Contributing Member

Cabela's has it right now for $.065 per round delivered to your door. Winchester Wildcat 333 count I think. It'll probably be gone in 5 minutes.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:27 AM   #63
oneounceload

Last time I bought some, at Gander of all places, it was $2.79/box of 50 with a limit of 10

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old February 24, 2014, 10:31 AM   #64
alsaqr

i'm not buying any .22 ammo. Bought a few bricks soon after the new Lawton Academy store opened last summer. Have enough of it to last awhile
Old February 24, 2014, 10:35 AM   #65
plmitch

We bought three bricks Saturday morning at the local shop, $50.00 each.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:16 AM   #66
Newcatwalt

During the last year the only .22 LR ammo I've seen is so overpriced that all I can do is snarl and keep walking. I'm sitting pretty good because after Obama was reelected I stocked up on ammo because I had a feeling he was going to "stick it to us" in his second term and I didn't want him to interrupt my shooting. Sandy Hook was a complete surprise and encouraged me to stock even more before it all disappeared. Ammo is starting to come back, ever so slightly, in my area but it's still way overpriced. Only time will tell if the shortage is real or contrived to maintain high prices. We'll see....
Old February 24, 2014, 11:22 AM   #67
Arkansas Paul

I bought five 50 round boxes at Bass Pro for $2.39 recently.
I would not pay over about $25-$28 for a 550 pack.

Cabelas has been getting them in recently for $23/525 but limits one per customer. They don't last long, but you can find them.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:30 AM   #68
anothernewb

I'm still willing to buy at $25 a brick. I guess if the "normal" became $30/500 I'd probably pay that too. Still cheaper than pretty much anything else.

I still look at my 525 packs of blazer bought from Dunhams 2 years ago at $15 a box and sigh. dang crazy political climate/insanity/inflation/supply and demand crap. (if only my magic 8 ball predicted this!)

However- I won't pay those prices unless it becomes the standard pricing at the major big box stores.

Wal-mart - hate them or love them; is darn good at maximizing price per unit cost. They're masters at minimaxing. I tend to use them as my price barometer, and likely will with 22 as well.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:45 AM   #69
oneounceload

At the price of most .22 ammo, buying an air rifle and pellets is much cheaper, and most folks can shoot it in their garage, basement or backyard

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old February 24, 2014, 12:26 PM   #70
javjacob

Ill take all the Remington golden bullets I can get! I pass on the thunderbolts though. I also pass on the Winchester 333/555... worst 22LR ammo ever
Old February 24, 2014, 12:54 PM   #71
rooter

I pay no more than $23 per brick and buy it as I need it. I refuse to add to the problem of artificially inflating the price of .22's by stockpiling or paying too much for it.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:10 PM   #72
gunsablazin

Back in the good old days I would always buy .22 by the case, and normally shoot 1,000 rds of it a month. I have not bought any in well over a year, and the last I got was $18.00 a brick. I'm down to less than 6 bricks now, so the hunt will be on soon, I would pay no more than $30.00 a brick personally, eventually the supply will come back, and I can shoot my reloaded centerfire ammo until then. (if I can find powder)
Old February 25, 2014, 06:28 AM   #73
slickracer

Just scored a case of Federal 5 10 @$189.95 from Midway. Received it yesterday.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:29 AM   #74
anothernewb

lol interesting timing, this thread. was throwing out old receipts yesterday, came across 2 of them. 2 Blazer 525 bulk packs. @ $13.99 ea. 1/11/12 Dunhams Sports.

Today, Dunhams (when in stock) has them for $35 ea
Old February 25, 2014, 10:32 AM   #75
tomturkey

I watched the prices on a Michigan online auction last week

It was the first I watched the prices in a while. last time 550 bricks were at around $50.

Last week they were back up to $80.

If the idiots would quit this stupid stuff the prices would go down.