Quantcast
any THRers into ham radio? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Rallying Point and Range Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 3, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1
taliv

any THRers into ham radio?

i was thinking about getting my technician license and a cheap radio. just wondering if there's anyone out there interesting to talk to
Old January 3, 2006, 06:30 PM   #2
TexasRifleman
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, General here in Ft Worth. Technician is just too easy NOT to get.

Find a handheld 2M and a repeater book and get after it.

If you haven't found it yet, read up on the IRLP thing. We could all have weekly THR chats with that thing just by linking a bunch of repeaters over the Internet. Very cool stuff.

Quote:
A vote is like a rifle; Its usefulness depends upon the character of the user
Teddy Roosevelt

NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 3, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
John3-16

Talking

YES .....Anywhere you go....
Old January 3, 2006, 07:28 PM   #4
COK

I have been into shortwave DX about as long as firearms way before computers began to take up some free time have a Yaesu FRG-8800.
Old January 3, 2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Sistema1927

--... ...-- -.. . -. ..... .-. -.- .

I want my country back!
Old January 3, 2006, 07:51 PM   #6
drdirk

N1VQM here

General Ham License, CCW. Great combination!
Old January 3, 2006, 07:52 PM   #7
ArmedBear

Smile

ex-KG6H, expired many years ago.
Old January 3, 2006, 07:52 PM   #8
kirkcdl

Glock Talk has a Ham forum also...I wish Gun Talk was on shortwave...
Old January 4, 2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Pebcac

Quote:
Find a handheld 2M and a repeater book and get after it.
This is how I got started. I was interested in the Skywarn thing and decided I should pick up my ticket. Lots of really nice people are involved in amateur radio.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." --- John Adams
Old January 4, 2006, 06:54 PM   #10
fletcher

I read the AARL book for the technician license a couple months ago, but never got around to taking the test. Perhaps soon...
Old January 4, 2006, 07:01 PM   #11
TexasRifleman
Moderator Emeritus

Free online practice tests

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Quote:
A vote is like a rifle; Its usefulness depends upon the character of the user
Teddy Roosevelt

NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 4, 2006, 08:04 PM   #12
enfield

I've been known to toss some RF into the ether.

"We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst." - C. S. Lewis
Old January 4, 2006, 09:12 PM   #13
mreising

Yes, I'm an Extra and my wife and son are Generals. There seems to be a lot of commonality (sp?) in both hobbies.
Old January 4, 2006, 11:46 PM   #14
Bruce333

I've been studying for Technician here: http://www.hamtestonline.com/
Old January 5, 2006, 12:09 AM   #15
bud45

Here is KC4HGH, Extra Class! Git yer Tech Plus, then capture that General & get on HF as well as 2M- we've been granted some new freqs in the 60M band that're awesome!

Been in all phases of radio for 38 years now & still having the time of my life!

If you need help, please let me know....de Bud.
Old January 5, 2006, 12:45 AM   #16

Been a ham since 1978 or 1979.
Extra Class.
Used to be VERY active. Had a ton of gear. Spent lots of money. Went to the big conventions. Everybody I knew was a ham. Was active on a daily basis on everything from 160 meters to satilites for over 20 years. Had three complete HF stations set up in my shack: each with all the accessories including legal limit amps.
Totally lost interest when the license test was dumbed down to the point where they give you every possible question and every possible answer, word for word. This is a test of how well you memorize, not of your knowledge of radio. The people at the club meetings and on the air reflected this. We went from people building their entire station from the ground up using scrounged parts to people who don't understand how a repeater works. From hams inventing cutting edge electronic equipment to hams having no idea how to install a 2 meter antenna on their car. When the code went out, I sold all my stuff and invested it all into guns. The code was the only thing left that took some kind of commitment and effort to learn.
I sold $10k worth of gear to one guy and had plenty more stuff left over that I gradually sold off or in some cases just threw away. Sold my tower for $500 and never looked back. I haven't heard a ham radio in at least 5 years.
You know the rest. In the books you have read. How the British Regulars fired and fled, How the farmers gave them ball for ball, From behind each fence and farmyard wall, Chasing the redcoats down the lane, Then crossing the fields to emerge again. Under the trees at the turn of the road, And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 5, 2006, 02:46 AM   #17
Herself

I'm a ham, off and on since the early 1970s. W9KIZ. Advanced ticket. Haven't been on the air in a long time but when I am on, you'll find me on HF CW.

--Herself

Last edited by Herself; January 8, 2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 5, 2006, 02:53 AM   #18
ZenMasterJG

I'm KB3EEE, but off the air for the time being as my set is toast. (It was pretty dumpy to begin with, i had to put most of the board back together. Now i've blown some tubes, and just getting a new set is WAY easier then continuing my perpetual hunt for the right vac tubes.)
Old January 5, 2006, 03:10 AM   #19
Dwayne Russell

Amateurs & Shooters

KA6CAX
Old January 5, 2006, 03:19 AM   #20
Optical Serenity

KG4RNK

I recommend the Yaesu VX-7R, not the cheapest, but its submersible and rugged. Also does UHF, VHF, and 220.
Old January 5, 2006, 03:53 AM   #21
The-Fly

i'm not on air anymore, but still carry a tech permit. I have an icom IC-W32A handheld, and i function test it once a month. Handy to have for SHTF scenarios. I probably should join the local ARES chapter.
Old January 8, 2006, 06:07 PM   #22

KI6APD
Got the license to communicate on the motorcycle. The test was so easy, I wonder why they even give it? As someone already said, it's not a knowledge test, it's a memorization test. Still nice to have the license though.
Old January 8, 2006, 09:04 PM   #23
Dave Markowitz

KB3MNK here. No-code Tech for now, but I'm planning to upgrade to General class this spring.
Old January 8, 2006, 09:16 PM   #24
Herself

Looking forward to hearing you on the HF bands, Dave!

... I was just looking at my logbook and I haven't had time to get on the air since July, so when I say "looking forward," it's as much a hope for me was it is for you...

--H
Old January 8, 2006, 10:11 PM   #25
RandyB

KB9LZD here! My wife, KB9UGM, brother KB9NKF, and his wife KB9RGM. We keep in touch....
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly... and spends himself in a worthy cause...so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt