Quantcast
Handi Rifle vs Remington Micro 7 in 300blk - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Which one
Handi Rifle 300BLK 10 40.00%
Remington Micro 7 300BLK 10 40.00%
Other, please specify 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Handi Rifle vs Remington Micro 7 in 300blk

Hello,

I am currently looking at both of these and I am not really sure which would be better, especially with such a price difference. I will be using this mainly for hunting whitetail deer out to 150yds max(more like 50-120yds) in thick woods, I use my Ruger SBH for 50yds an below. I will probably also plink with it, pretty much because I do that with all my guns, none of them just sit. I will also be using a SPecwar 762 with it.

The Handi rifle can be had for around $300-350 and the Rem $800-900. I don't mind the single shot vs the bolt action. I won't need the speed in reloading. Both are made the AAC specs and have their stamp on the receiver.

Handi rifle is 30" long and under 5lbs. Rem is 36" long and I don't know the weight. Both come with a picatinny rail and are threaded. If I get the Handi Rifle I will can out the stock to a thumb hole one for $50, I won't change the Rem.

With all the crap that is going on with Rem lately its hard to justify a $500 difference. Both the Handi and Rem are 5r 1:7 twist barrels.

Input please
Thanks
Old September 29, 2014, 09:51 PM   #2
19-3Ben

Are you also considering the new Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300blk?
Old September 29, 2014, 10:27 PM   #3
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19-3Ben View Post
Are you also considering the new Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300blk?

This is a no brainer.

I've owned more handis and barrels than I can count on fingers without going to toes. I call them lightning guns because they have an annoying propensity for never striking in the same place twice.

The new American ranch is the same price for crying out loud. H&R/NEF is in it's death throes as a result of such technological advancements
Old September 30, 2014, 02:30 AM   #4
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

I did not know Ruger was making one
Old September 30, 2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Legionnaire

My solution for a similar application was to purchase an MGM barrel for my T/C Encore.
Old September 30, 2014, 11:01 AM   #6
chicharrones
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobarrier View Post
I did not know Ruger was making one
http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ch/models.html

Looks good.
Old September 30, 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
My solution for a similar application was to purchase an MGM barrel for my T/C Encore.

I like my encore

But these new low cost bolt actions are killing them.

You realize that the ruger costs LESS than a barrel for an encore and I have no doubt will shoot circles around it.
Old September 30, 2014, 12:34 PM   #8
115grfmj

Get the Handi....probably one of the most underated hunting rifles in the world. Capable of really good accuracy, (my standard barrel 243 consistently prints 3/4" 100 yard groups with corelockts), light and.....well.....Handi Plus its a cool different platform, if the ubiquitous bolt guns bore you If you want to hear what the real experts on the subject have to say check these guys out.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/
Old September 30, 2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Elkins45

I ordered the Handi from Bud's literally the day before the Ruger was announced. First shooting results were not encouraging, although in fairness the load might have been at least a part of the problem

I suspect the Ruger will have a much better chance of providing a decent level of accuracy, and it's a repeater at almost the same out the door cost as the single shot.

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.
Old September 30, 2014, 01:53 PM   #10
rbernie
Contributing Member

Handi's are hard to tune, and in my experiences you either get a good one or you don't. If you buy into the Handi's, you have to be willing to aggressively flip 'em if they show a propensity for not shooting well.

Support THR by becoming a Contributing Member. Texans should be a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.
-
Trying to alter human behavior by regulating objects has been historically proven a fools errand, and yet is the fundamental underlying premise of gun control.
-
A conclusion is not a destination, it's simply a convenient place to stop thinking.
-
Reading a thing doesn't automatically make it so, and repeating it doesn't necessarily make it any truer.

-
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no class.
Old September 30, 2014, 02:15 PM   #11
mgmorden

I thought I know it works for rimless cartridges, to me the Handi just seems a better fit for rimmed cases (mine is in .30-30). Personally I'd get the Ruger.
Old September 30, 2014, 03:05 PM   #12
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbernie View Post
Handi's are hard to tune, and in my experiences you either get a good one or you don't. If you buy into the Handi's, you have to be willing to aggressively flip 'em if they show a propensity for not shooting well.

I've learned to treat encore barrels the same way and seems to be the general way with break action rifles.

If it doesn't impress the heck out of me within the first 40 rounds it's GONE!! Wash rinse and repeat
Old September 30, 2014, 10:06 PM   #13
Legionnaire

Quote:
You realize that the ruger costs LESS than a barrel for an encore and I have no doubt will shoot circles around it.
Quite possibly. But I bought my barrel long before the Ruger was available ... as a less expensive alternative to the Remington Model Seven.
Old October 1, 2014, 12:09 AM   #14
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

I am really liking that new Ruger.
Old October 1, 2014, 11:39 AM   #15
aubie515

You can get the H&R 300BO very inexpensive. I believe for $239 with $6 shipping.

I thought about buying it for price, but I really don't want a single shot. I've owned H&R/NEF and the ones I had were great shooters for the price point.

Another option for you would be to buy a Savage Axis or any Savage and rebarrel it. That's what I did...I started out with an Axis 223 and added a 16.5" McGowen barrel. My rifle is light and I"ll be using it to hunt PA whitetail this season along with my suppressor.
Old October 1, 2014, 02:26 PM   #16
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
I"ll be using it to hunt PA whitetail this season along with my suppressor.
That's exactly what I will be doing. What load are you using? If you don't mind. I was thinking about using the Serria Pro Hunter 220gr round nose. Or trying those Lehigh defense subsonic expanding rounds - they are expensive though.
Old October 1, 2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Casefull

My kimber 308 weighs less than 5 lbs and it is a "real" rifle. I looked into lightweight backpacking type rifles and found they do not offer much if anything over a lightweight bolt rifle. Subsonic rounds for the 308 make it quieter than a 22 if that is what a person is after.
Old October 1, 2014, 07:20 PM   #18
aubie515

I have subsonic 208Amax loaded up, but I also have the Barnes 110gr factory loads.

I am local to Lehigh and last year I was at their facility. I got some of their CF and ME bullets. I haven't loaded any in my 300BO, but that might also be a hunting load that I test this season.
Old October 1, 2014, 09:54 PM   #19
Gordon

I have the Ruger American Ranch rifle in .300 BLK on order and intend to put on a 4.5-14x44 Vortex Viper on it and call it good. I ordered the rifle from a LGS for $479 + what ever 2 spare magazines cost.
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old October 1, 2014, 10:47 PM   #20
R.W.Dale

Handi Rifle vs Remington Micro 7 in 300blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have the Ruger American Ranch rifle in .300 BLK on order and intend to put on a 4.5-14x44 Vortex Viper on it and call it good. I ordered the rifle from a LGS for $479 + what ever 2 spare magazines cost.

You paid MSRP?

That's a shop I would no longer patronize. My LGS quoted me a price a full $100 cheaper
Old October 2, 2014, 12:24 AM   #21
FROGO207

I have a bunch of Handi Rifles and they all shoot fair to excellent for me. I also like the light handy aspect and the barrel program that is presently available. I have at least 4 barrels for each of them and like the fact that you can try a new caliber with a barrel swap that is so inexpensive. No 300 BK yet but this year I plan on adding one and getting it threaded for my 7.62 SDN suppressor.
Old October 2, 2014, 06:41 AM   #22
Ibmikey

My AAC Handi in 300 Blackout just took out a 350 pound Texas boar with one shot (125 gr ) and ran less than fifty yards. Also shot six smaller Hogs and never had a problem with being limited to a single shot although I have a carrier on the stock with nine more rounds.
Old October 2, 2014, 08:07 AM   #23
115grfmj

May I humbly submit another positive to the Handi.....They are fantastically easy to bore sight a new scope on, with out tools, or disassembling your rifle. Simply break open the action, rest on your rest, look thru the bore until you can see target 50 yards away, adjust the scope until your sight picture matches. Your first shot will be on paper. I didn't come up with this, there is a guy over on GBO that did, but it DOES work very well. Thats how I set up mine.
Old October 2, 2014, 08:42 AM   #24
aubie515

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115grfmj View Post
May I humbly submit another positive to the Handi.....They are fantastically easy to bore sight a new scope on, with out tools, or disassembling your rifle. Simply break open the action, rest on your rest, look thru the bore until you can see target 50 yards away, adjust the scope until your sight picture matches. Your first shot will be on paper. I didn't come up with this, there is a guy over on GBO that did, but it DOES work very well. Thats how I set up mine.
That isn't exactly a new concept to bore sight by looking through your bore.

You can also do that with a bolt action and not just a single shot.
Old October 2, 2014, 04:16 PM   #25
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Well after reading all of these posts and others on other websites I am now torn between the Ruger and Handi. Decisions decisions . . .