Quantcast
Opinions on budget rifles. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 18, 2014, 06:53 PM   #1
txcookie

Opinions on budget rifles.

I'm leaning rem 700 adl or ruger all american. It's gonna be for the wife and daughter so probably a 243.
Old November 18, 2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Ar180shooter

Tikka T3 would be my recommendation. Never had any trigger time with the Ruger, so can't comment on it. I'd avoid Remington if possible, far too many issues over the last decade to consider buying one.
Old November 18, 2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Damon555

The Remington will be a perfectly fine choice.....My other pick would be Savage. For not much more than all the manufacturers economy models (American, Icon, Axis....etc) you can get the base model of their best action....The ADL is right where you want to be.....
Old November 18, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
js8588

Zastava M70

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/RI1980-N.aspx

Great deal on a well made rifle. I have one in 270.

1942 Izzy Mosin Nagant
1936 Hex Receiver Tula Mosin Nagant
Vepr 7.62x54r
Rossi 45 Colt/410 Circuit Judge
Tula SKS
VZ 24
VZ 22/98
Super Vepr 308
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Subcompact
Ruger LC9
Winchester M70 Alaskan Stainless Laminate 300 Win Mag
Zastava M70 270 Winchester
CZ 452 Training Rifle 17hmr
Vepr 12
Old November 18, 2014, 09:09 PM   #5
sappyg

Of the 3 budget rifles I am familiar with the ADL is my favorite. The stock feels more rigid and the rifle has few if any quirks or quirkiness.

Got a love hate thing for the RA. I love everything about it but hate the way it acts sometimes. Have the ladies try the compact. The light weight and LOP may bet just what's needed.

Savage rocks but I'm not sure if they can be had with a short action if that matters. Feeds better IMO than the RA and it's easily the more dependable of the two.
Old November 18, 2014, 10:01 PM   #6
gotigers

My Remington 700 5R is an awesome rifle. A bit higher priced than the two you mentioned. If I were looking today for a budget bolt, the Ruger American would get a good long look. The American's price is great and it is getting very good reviews.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:21 PM   #7
mnhntr

Savage
NRA Certified Instructor
Basic Pistol - Personal Protection in the Home - MN Permit to Carry - Advanced Defensive Handgun
Old November 18, 2014, 11:26 PM   #8
TexasPatriot.308

the new low end Remingtons are pure junk, rough as hell and trash....low end if you can still find one, get a Stevens 200 if not go to Savage 10s or 110s (Stevens 200s are those same firearms without accutrigers), I hear good stuff about the Ruger Americans....for the price Weatherby low end rifles made by Howa I think are hard to beat along with Tikkas. I own a few of these firearms so this is from my experience.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:38 PM   #9
miamivicedade

Remington or Savage. Fine rifles.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:41 PM   #10
Arkansas Paul

Between the two you mentioned I would take the Remington. However since it is for your wife and daughter, I would take them with you and see which one fits them the best and they are most comfortable with. They're gonna be the ones shooting it.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:42 PM   #11
gspn

I don't have experience with the two you are leaning toward, but other have mentioned Savage and my experience with them has been very positive. They seem to make a good, affordable rifle that is accurate right out of the box.
Memo to all nsa, fbi, cia, dia, dea, atf, mba, aok, fmj, kgb, MI5, and any others that might be listeneing/reading/tracking my metadata...i share this computer with an old lady, an ex-con, a priest, a used car salesman, a military veteran, a pacifist, a vegetarian, a hunter, a circus midget, a Panamanian strong man, and a chihuahua...so any data you have will be random and useless...good luck.

My outdoors blog…stories about hunting, fishing, and life:

http://southernoutdoorsman.blogspot.com
Old November 19, 2014, 12:31 AM   #12
bangswitch

Another one to consider is the Marlin X7. You can get it in short or long action, and it has a trigger much like Savage's accutrigger. I gave less than $400 for my XS7 in .308. Shoots great.
Old November 19, 2014, 02:31 AM   #13
JeeperCreeper

I vote Ruger American Compact.... especially for wife and daughter. Shot 3 different Americans, none disappointed. Plus you can't beat the price to quality ratio: it's just science...
Old November 19, 2014, 02:53 AM   #14
CaliCoastie

Spend a couple hundred more for a step up. Or not, i got a one that wasn't all it was cracked up to be accuracy wise. Sold it and bought a tikka t3 and won't touch anything new for under 5 bills. Used is a different story. Are you opposed to buying used? And do you need it now? Hunting season is full swing, might get some better deals if you wait a bit.
Old November 19, 2014, 07:40 AM   #15
Captcurt

Budget?

Sorry guys, but I don't understand the term when an item cost twice as much as a supposedly comparable item. When you talk budget rifles I am thinking inexpensive. Something in the $300-$500 range. I have seen few Tikkas that wholesale for less than $500. I checked 3 of my distributors and the cheapest T3 was $550. I am sure that you can find one for less, but it is not a budget rifle unless you compare it to a Kimber or a Cooper.

Of the guns mentioned by the OP the American gets the nod. My pick would be a Savage 11XP or a T/C Venture. Both are solid decent rifles and both have a $75 rebate right now. Best boom for your buck.
Old November 19, 2014, 08:00 AM   #16
RetiredUSNChief

I'm of the opinion that if the OP has settled on Remington 700 or Ruger American as his "budget rifle", then he's pretty much established his budget allowance. Given the options available, there is some lattitude on price spread.

But the Tikka comment wasn't a direct recommendation, it was relating someone's experience and subsequent decision to buy a Tikka later. And a recommendation to check out used for a better price deal on a more expensive, better quality rifle to stay in budget.

I'm the guy with a cannon, too: http://youtu.be/X6xhYELYVDw
Old November 19, 2014, 12:19 PM   #17
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
Spend a couple hundred more for a step up.
It never fails. When someone asks an opinion on a certain product that doesn't cost a fortune, people come out of the woodwork telling them to spend more money. Have you taken notice of the economy lately? Most people are on a tight budget these days and have set aside an amount they're comfortable spending on whatever item is being considered.

If spending more were an option, he likely wouldn't be asking about the two in question.
Old November 19, 2014, 12:32 PM   #18
MtnCreek

TC Venture is worth a look.
Old November 19, 2014, 02:02 PM   #19
Beentown

Ruger American lPredator is what I chose.
Old November 19, 2014, 02:05 PM   #20
Ks5shooter

Don't rule out the TC Venture 75 dollar rebate goin on now. Get the compact version and it comes with spacer for longer LOP later on . I own 4 they are tackdrivers.
Old November 19, 2014, 02:17 PM   #21
Arkansas Paul

I've never heard a bad thing about T/C Ventures. They can still be had for $400 or less too (that's my personal opinion of where budget rifles end. Your opinion may vary).

I like Weatherby Vanguards, but I don't really consider them budget guns any more. Used to you could get them for $350-$400 but those days are over. I think the new ones are about $550 now. Still a good rifle for the money, but not really a budget gun when you consider most manufacturers have entry level rifles in the $300-$400 range (some even cheaper but I wouldn't buy a Remington 770 or the like. Both of the guns the OP mentioned are leaps and bounds better than that).
Old November 19, 2014, 04:45 PM   #22
Moparnut

The savage hunter series is pretty reasonable priced and I have never had a problem with the one I owned. (Model # eludes me 110/10? 111/11?) I would have to say that most rifles on the market now budget or otherwise are plenty accurate and decent buys.

Last edited by Moparnut; November 19, 2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added info
Old November 19, 2014, 05:03 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'd avoid Remington if possible, far too many issues over the last decade to consider buying one.
Or buy an older Remington.

My 1993-production 700ADL in .243 is very well-made and very accurate. 20 years later and it is still my go-to rifle for whitetail.
Old November 19, 2014, 05:10 PM   #24
Palehorseman

B-I-L recently went on Alaskan sheep hunt, he took his ram right through the left ear, with the RA in .308 at 470 yards. That is the rifle and caliber Ruger wanted him to use, and he did a bang up job with it. Pun intended.
Old November 19, 2014, 05:28 PM   #25
urbaneruralite

Nothing wrong with letting them pick out their own. You pick which ones they choose from, they pick the one. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out to be a wooden stocked one off the used rack.

Might also consider a 7mm08. There's a couple 120gr loads out. It's running the same case and amount of powder as a .243 with only twenty more grains of bullet.