Quantcast
Recall: Remington 700 & Model 7 - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 12, 2014, 09:52 PM   #26
CaptHank

Well, mine is on the list. I just changed out the stock to a Choate Ultimate Varmint. What a bummer......
Old April 12, 2014, 09:53 PM   #27
scottishkat

I have 2 to return what a PITA. They both shoot going to have to take the optics off. I imagine they will send us boxes and shipping lables. I went through this with a TC Icon. I will never buy another one of them.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to their value. The xmark pro trigger is pretty nice. I often wonder how much of this is yankees creating work for themselves.

Honestly Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and California make more guns than about all other states combined I would imagine. They have some of the worst gun reg's. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to buy one from any of them anymore just encourages them.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
Old April 12, 2014, 09:53 PM   #28
Bexar

Timneys rock!
Old April 12, 2014, 09:56 PM   #29
Bexar

It will be interesting to see if Cerberus doesn't replace the trigger with a Timney knock off.
Old April 12, 2014, 10:37 PM   #30
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

I just bought one, that sucks. I think I may just replace the trigger with a timney or jewelled. I assume that will fix the problem and I won't have to wait weeks for Rem to send it back. If replacing the trigger fixes the problem I think I would rather spend $100 on a timney installed then send it back.
Old April 12, 2014, 11:42 PM   #31
ugaarguy

I've stickied this one for a while so hopefully more folks will see it, and edited the title for clarity. Here's the link directly to Remington: http://xmprecall.remington.com/
Old April 13, 2014, 08:45 PM   #32
scottishkat

I put a Timney in a 700 made prior to the xmark it is very good I also added 1 to a ruger 77 tang safety it is real good to.
Old April 13, 2014, 08:59 PM   #33
jgh4445

One of mine is and one isn't. The one that is had a Timney installed last year. The one that isn't soon will have anyway.
Old April 14, 2014, 12:53 PM   #34
joed

Well, I threw mine away 3 years ago. It was a crisp trigger but there was so much epoxy on it that I didn't think anything could be done with it. When I couldn't adjust it under 5 lb I replaced it with a Timney.
Old April 14, 2014, 06:13 PM   #35
CaptHank

I was emailed a UPS shipping label and instructions today. Now, waiting on the box for shipping. They said, 2-3 week turn around.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:42 PM   #36
holdencm9

Mine is subject to the recall as well. However, I have been contemplating an upgrade to a Timney, for a long long time. If you were in the same boat would you even bother with the recall and all that hassle or just expedite the upgrade? On the one hand I guess you'd be able to keep the factory trigger rather than toss it as potentially dangerous. I wish I could just send in the trigger and not the whole rifle.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:37 PM   #37
GLShooter

Not all are being recalled. They have a seaech feature set up to identify the ones they want to work on. I checked two of the four I bought during that time. One was GTG and the other was a recall. I will probably put a few of the old style triggers on them and call it good.

Greg
Old April 15, 2014, 12:20 AM   #38
climbnjump

There is a Remington service center about an hour from where I live. Since I know they do Remington warranty work, I gave them a call this morning to ask if they could perform this recall work and they said yes. So, later in the day I drove over there and was then informed that no, they couldn't do the work. All guns have to be shipped back to Remington. They weren't real happy about that themselves as they had about 40 rifles that they were removing from the racks to send back.

But the drive wasn't a total waste as I scored some powder and ran into a couple of old friends and shot the breeze with them for a while.

But, I doubt I'm going to send anything back to Remington for repair at this point. I had one XMP trigger fail in the past out of warranty and I replaced that with a Timney, so I'll do that on the other and be done with it.

If Guns kill people, how does anyone make it out of a Gun Show alive?
Old April 15, 2014, 01:06 AM   #39
2ndtimer

Glad I installed a Timney in my 700 SPS Varmint a few years back. I tried to have a gunsmith tune up the X-Mark, and he said it was the worst trigger he had ever tried to tune. Said the only way to a decent pull out of it was to replace it. Never regretted it.
Old April 15, 2014, 03:47 AM   #40
Another_Kelley

Quote:
That has got to be a LOT of rifles.

I don't think the gravity of the situation has sat in quite yet for everyone...those dates they list span 8 years it's a chit-storm of epic proportions - I just checked my serials, and I have 3 rifles affected out of the 4 I own. Ohhhh, to be Timney right now...
Old April 15, 2014, 06:57 AM   #41
herkyguy

I don't think I'll be sending mine in any time soon. Mine is dialed in to sub MOA. I don't hunt with it, just target shooting. I want more details first.

I sent in my XDs right away, but that was different since I carry it.

Either way I'm disappointed.
Old April 15, 2014, 11:50 AM   #42
Tony50ae

Well my 700 lv sf is on the recall list I may wait awhile before I send it in. It rarely gets shot and its more of a paper puncher anyways. Not like it gets carried in the field. Figure if I wait to send it in, say six to nine months, hopefully it won't be a long wait to get it back.
Old April 16, 2014, 03:03 AM   #43
Sheepdog1968

There's a reason I follow Cooper's four safety rules. When hunting I really hone in on the never point it at anything your not willing to destroy.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old April 17, 2014, 10:39 AM   #44
x1wildone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
There's a reason I follow Cooper's four safety rules. When hunting I really hone in on the never point it at anything your not willing to destroy.
My wife and I both wish that the boy that shot her would have followed these rules. Also we would have been happy if Remington would have produced a trigger that was not defective.
If either part of the equation had not existed,our lives could have been very different.
Old April 18, 2014, 01:37 AM   #45
ewlyon

According to the Remington site the problem with the trigger is not mechanical. Apparently too much epoxy or something. The site says there are going to clean the trigger mechanism to fix it. So if you like the trigger mechanism then nothings gonna change.

I just checked and they are sending boxes and paid labels for shipping so it wont cost anything.
Old April 18, 2014, 10:53 AM   #46
DougW

As long as the rifles don't get damaged in shipping. I don't understand why I can't just return the trigger group for repair. Probably will change it out for a Timney and not jack with the return.
Old April 18, 2014, 11:34 PM   #47
bldsmith

Have 2 that are affected. Hope they don't mess them up in shipping either.
Old April 18, 2014, 11:46 PM   #48
SleazyRider

Just sent mine in, a .243 ADL, with a prepaid shipping label and box.

To sweeten the pot they gave me a code to get 40% off on their accessories and clothing website, which means I can buy one of their 42 dollar tee shirts for only 25 bucks---plus shipping. Heck, at least Ruger gave me a free hat when they recalled the LCP.

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden
Old April 20, 2014, 08:34 AM   #49
Cocked & Locked

MY model 7 .308 is recalled as well. My other ones are pre-2006. Strange thing is on one day I entered the 7's serial number on the recall site and it was not recalled. Entered three times during the day...not recalled.

Two days later I entered the number again and it was recalled.
Old April 20, 2014, 04:29 PM   #50
driftpin

WOW, I just checked and I have 3 that were recalled. I think I may just buy the timneys. I wonder if they would thread the barrels while they had them.

Totally blows. I hate having to re-sight in 3 freaking rifles. I was just going to sell one to my buddy too.