Quantcast
Win. model 94 - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 29, 2014, 12:20 PM   #51
200Apples

Yeah! While we wait for the OP's pics, here's another picture for you:

My 1922-made '94 scout with my 2014 Ruger Scout! Hee...

/add'l thread veerage...

:-)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943

"Surely you have noticed the extent to which thinking is going out of style." - Jeff Cooper, January, 2000
Old May 1, 2014, 01:02 AM   #52
tahoe2

Win 94

As others have stated, peep sights work well for me, mine was made in 1974 and was also in mint condition. So a few hundred rounds later it will put 6 Sierra Pro Hunter 150 grainers into 2-1/2" @ 100 off hand.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:23 AM   #53
heycods

was in a pawn shop back in the late 90 s and they had 2 pre 64s, one a 1956 and he other a 1954, guy said take your pick for $425 each, I left with both for $800 have never regreted it. One is very accurate and the other will do 2" at 100yds. I handload for both, one prefers 170gr other likes 150s. I have been thinking of going to peep sites on one so I can try the 125gr HPs in it, The factory sights wont come to point of impact with the 125s.
Tap tap tap OP waiting on pictures
Old May 2, 2014, 10:41 AM   #54
The Bushmaster

50 Shooter...170 grain SPFN are much better (IM[notso]HO) then 150 grain by far.

I have a M94 .30WCF manu. in 1949 that gives me 1 5/8" three shot groups at 100 yards.

170 grain SPFN Speer Hot-core over 32 grains of W-748. Be careful when crimping as you can collapse the case very easily. Best to use Lee's Factory Crimp Die (FCD).

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Old May 2, 2014, 05:01 PM   #55
50 Shooter

Well, let's see if this works or not. This link http://www.daplane.com/50Shooter/Win94/html/0.htm has a few photos of the rifle.
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds, oh lord yeah!

Last edited by 50 Shooter; May 2, 2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 2, 2014, 05:40 PM   #56
200Apples

Quote:
This rifle is going to hit the range and get some shooting done. I want to enjoy it and my son already said he wants to shoot it so what better then to bring it out and have some fun shooting with my boy.
Very few hours we spend living are better than that. My son and I hit the range together whenever our schedules permit (he being just grown up and working).

Hope you don't mind but I grabbed a pic from your link:

Beautiful!

Thanks for the pics!

:-)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943

"Surely you have noticed the extent to which thinking is going out of style." - Jeff Cooper, January, 2000
Old May 2, 2014, 09:38 PM   #57
50 Shooter

Glad you liked the pic, she's a beauty.
Old May 4, 2014, 04:28 PM   #58
forward observer

Nice rifle---you did very well!
Old May 4, 2014, 08:16 PM   #59
FROGO207

I have a Marlin 336C and 3 WIN 94's. One is a 51, one a 76, and one 82. All shoot well but the 82 looks like it is 200 years old-----Truck gun that was not taken care of at all. FWIW I and all my 30-30's like the 170 RNFP Core Lokt the best with other brands of 170 grains also working better than any 150 grain pill.

Great looking rifle.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:44 PM   #60
Doc.Holliday

Yes I agree with some posts here. The quality of 64 and later 94's wasn't as bad as some have let on and not near as bad as some examples from another Winchester lever clone gun manufacturer from Brazil. IMHO
Doc
Old May 4, 2014, 09:26 PM   #61
hartcreek

In the late 90s I picked up four pre 64 model 94s......three in .32 Winchester Special and one in 25-35 $250 each. All from the same gunshop. Lee has a 155 grain gas checked RN mold that works perfect for the 30-30.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:33 AM   #62
The Bushmaster

I also agree with FROGO207...If you have to shoot factory ammunition Remington 170 grain RNFN (or SP) Core-Lokt is the best.

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Old May 5, 2014, 01:18 PM   #63
50 Shooter

I picked up some Win. and Fed. 150 and 170 gr. ammo in a trade. That and picked up brass, dies, primers.... Hope to have it out soon and see how it does, looking for a set of Williams sights after seeing how another board member did with them.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:20 PM   #64
loose noose

Nice looking rifle their 50, tell me how does the action feel. I had a model 94 made in 1978 with a really stiff action other than that it was really a good shooter. BTW I shot over 500 rounds thru it and the action just never loosened up even after polishing all the internal parts. Hope yours isn't a clone.
Old May 6, 2014, 02:33 PM   #65
50 Shooter

The action is smooth but here's my problem with the charging handle. I have big hands and I can only get two fingers in the handle to operate it. So for those of you with big hands and a lever action, is there a factory handle that's made for big hands?

It would make it easier to cycle the action and get my hand around the stock and trigger finger on the trigger.
Old May 6, 2014, 02:54 PM   #66
200Apples

Off the top of my head, I don't know where, exactly, to begin looking for a bigger lever loop; I don't know the aftermarket in that regard.

Look around the web for a "large-loop lever".

Something like what's on this Rossi:

Old July 22, 2014, 10:16 PM   #67
50 Shooter

Well, I finally got the rifle out to the range to shoot it to see how well it worked. Turns out it ran flawlessly, cycled the ammo without any problems.

Put a Williams rear sight on the rifle and found out that its nice but the front needs to be swapped out for something better as the bead covers to much of the target. Adding some more pics of the rifle.