Quantcast
Springfield XDs Dependable? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Is your XDs your carry pistol?
Yes, I trust it. 60 89.55%
No, stays in the safe. 3 4.48%
Not yet. 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2014, 07:54 AM   #1
fxstchewy

Springfield XDs Dependable?

I just picked up a XDs 45acp a few weeks back and while mine has been good so far over on the XD forum it seems most of the threads are about problems! one going on now is about the little trigger safety tab breaking and that stops the gun right then, i have been carrying mine but am really considering going back to my Glock 26.
If you have one is it your carry sidearm?
Old May 4, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
okc-zee

I have owned my XDS 45 since they came out...have roughly 2K rounds thru it..flawless before and after the recall...I carry it faithfully..Check out the other XDS threads on there as well... Tons of positive reviews as well..It seems these guns are not for everybody..I've never had the slightest issue with mine as well as a lot others that own them..Any gun is prone to have a mishap every once in a while...anything can happen to the most reliable of the bunch...Doesn't mean it happens across the board...Shoot it for a while and judge yours only by your experiences with it,and don't worry about what others say or feel..you'll know...
Old May 4, 2014, 10:53 AM   #3
460Kodiak

Mine has been totally reliable. I've put around 800 rounds through it.
"You should be 460Kodiak....... yeah"
"Great...... now I have to grow a mullet."
Old May 4, 2014, 11:29 AM   #4
handloader357

FWIW, My XDs is a jamomatic and Springfield CS is giving me the run around. Cant stand Springfield as a company or the XDs and will not do business with them in the future.

If I elaborate any more than that I'm sure it would be considered a rant and all the fanboys will attempt to crucify me. If you want more details I'll post my entire situation upon request or you can PM me.

I've never hated any gun before my experience with the XDs, including other XDx pistols.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:33 AM   #5
357 Terms

Our rental gun has been flawless, 2-3 thousand rounds so far.

good gun in my opinion.
Old May 4, 2014, 01:36 PM   #6
fedlaw

2,000+ rds. 100% reliable. Accurate enough: consistent 4-5" groups @ 15yds.
Old May 4, 2014, 01:39 PM   #7
ritepath

I know 3 co-workers with them all had the recall fix...none have had any issues before or after the fix.

I do however.com notice lots of XDs on my BST facebook groups.
Old May 4, 2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Welding Rod

I have owned 4 so far, 3 45s and one XDM9. All worked great except the 45s don't like my reloads with 200 grain LSWC bullets, the slides on recoil sometimes getting caught on the square edge at the major diameter of the wad cutter.
Old May 4, 2014, 01:42 PM   #9
horsemen61

I really like mine no issues at all and yes mine has the recall on it
Old May 4, 2014, 03:01 PM   #10
460Kodiak

Quote:
If I elaborate any more than that I'm sure it would be considered a rant and all the fanboys will attempt to crucify me. If you want more details I'll post my entire situation upon request or you can PM me.
Please share man. I really like mine and have been happy with SA, but not everyone has the same experience with the same company. All experiences should be shared.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:22 PM   #11
Valkman

I just bought one and only have 50 rounds through it but I love it so far. Go to XDTalk.com to really see how many are happy (huge #) vs how many have problems. Many use it as their CCW, must be something good about them.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:35 PM   #12
SeanSw

My post recall xds 9mm has fed every type of hollow point that I can find so far. It prefers heavier weight ammunition. 147gr hits closest to poa and 124gr is nearly as good but 115gr groups poorly by comparison. I do have a routine slide lock failure using older wolf 9mm, but it feeds and ejects fine.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:37 PM   #13
GunNut

Love mine and carry it all the time. Finally heading back for the recall this week and will put it through its paces when it comes back.

Old May 4, 2014, 03:38 PM   #14
oron

I receved my XD-45, 05
7 tac pistol shoots
9-LE. Tac. Classes

8,634 Fired Rds.
Just started to ware the finish

I have the 4.5" Ser. Model.
Uncle Mikes ITW. Scabbered

Carter.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:55 PM   #15
skoro

Springfield XDs Dependable?

I've had mine for a year now, minus the 2 months for the recall. Probably 500-600 rounds through it w/o a single hiccup. All kinds of ammo, some of it old and cruddy. No problem.
Old May 4, 2014, 04:02 PM   #16
Ccctennis

I have had my xdm tactial 45 for almost three years. 3,000 rounds so far and never had a single issue. I have two other xd in 9mm. One full size for the house and one sub for conceal carry. I am springfield for life. Just need an xds in both 9and 45.
Old May 4, 2014, 04:31 PM   #17
thefamcnaj

I like mine but don't trust it. Through 500 rounds(post recall) it has a lot of failures to fire with various brands. I have one about every 10-15 rounds. I did a detail strip of the slide and the striker channel was gummed up pretty bad. Hopefully this will do the trick.
It feeds anything I put in it, which is a positive.
My fiber optic in my front site has broken and fell out twice. Its a sweet 9mm and fun to shoot.
I doubt I'll get rid of it, but I also doubt I'll ever carry it.
The shield has proven to be more reliable in my personal experience.
Old May 4, 2014, 05:55 PM   #18
BWB

I have two XDs .45's, and long ago lost count of the rounds - a lot. This is a very compact gun, and like most of its breed it likes full power heavy bullet ammo best. With that mine are totally reliable. They are very shootable and surprisingly accurate. Ragged hole groups at 7 - 10 yards are not at all unusual if the shooter does his part.
Springfield's handling of the recall was in my opinion exemplary. With convenient prepaid shipping both ways, I can't imagine what more could have been expected of them, and the new mag included with the return was a nice touch.
Old May 4, 2014, 07:56 PM   #19
Capt. Ct.

No problems before or after the recall. It is beside my bed at this time. If I go out tonight it will be on me.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:52 PM   #20
tangomike706

I've owned mine since they first became available in my area, and have never had a single issue with it. I've currently got about 1000 rounds pre-recall and close to 3000 after (4 thousand total)
Old May 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #21
bflee

Bought a Xdm 40 in 2009. It has shot several thousand rounds. All kinds of ammo. Never had an issue. I have a Glock 17 1987 model I bought new. The Xdm outperforms it in dependability and accuracy. It feels better in my hand. To each his own.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:30 PM   #22
RainDodger

It's my main "small" carry gun now. Totally reliable. It's not a range gun - it's a personal protection tool and it does that very well.

I replaced my springs with the Powder River Precision spring kit, then verified that the gun works 100% with Gold Dot loads (it does). Now it's in a paddle holster when I carry. It's also a lot more accurate than one would assume with that 3.3" barrel! Mine has never malfunctioned ever.
U.S. Naval Aviator, Retired
Old May 5, 2014, 10:30 AM   #23
460Kodiak

150 trouble free rounds on saturday
Old May 5, 2014, 10:43 AM   #24
riceboy72

I think some are confusing the XDs with the XD line overall. If I'm not mistaken, we're talking about the single stack, subcompact XDs pistol here, not the overall XD series (as in plural).

Both my brother in law and I got them to carry last year; I sold mine, and he still has his and carries it in a SuperTuck. After my pistol returned from the recall last summer, I didn't care for the trigger feel and had multiple FTFs and light strikes. It was enough to make me sell it and stick with my Glock 19. While it was fantastic for carry, I did not like or trust the pistol enough to carry it daily.
Old May 5, 2014, 01:16 PM   #25
fxstchewy

Yes, I am talking about the XDS single stack models.