Quantcast
Just bought the Gamo Whisper G2! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Air Guns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old June 1, 2014, 02:57 AM   #1
Safetyfirst

Just bought the Gamo Whisper G2!

It should be arriving this Tuesday. It's the .22 version. I also ordered a 500-count tin of Crosman Domed Premium and an anti-rust storage bag. I will let all of you know how it handles when it arrives so subscribe to the thread for updates!
Old June 3, 2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Ditchtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyfirst View Post
It should be arriving this Tuesday. !
It's Tuesday, did you get it?????????
And I say, anyone who refuses to own a gun or learn to use a gun or allow others to own and learn to use a gun for the protection of life, is mentally ill, or unbalanced. Because they have somehow suppressed the natural survival instincts normal humans are equipped with.
Old June 3, 2014, 11:28 PM   #3
Safetyfirst

Yes! I've been spending all day zeroing the irons and optic. Both are shooting dime groups out to 50 feet, and it really is super quiet. Been shooting it in the backyard all day and not one cop has come knocking! Adjusted the cheekpiece and just started benchresting, the gun certainly does its part. Recoil is more than you'd think with the "Turbo Stabilizing System," though I've never shot a regular .22 Whisper.

Last edited by Safetyfirst; June 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old June 5, 2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Blue Duck

Sounds like you have a shooter. It will only get better after 500 - 1000 shots.
Old June 5, 2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Zeke/PA

Let me know how your rifle/scope combo holds zero from shooting session to shooting session. I have problems with both my rifles. For pest control I'm more confident in the fibre optic open sights of my Gamo Wisper.
Old June 7, 2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Safetyfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke/PA View Post
Let me know how your rifle/scope combo holds zero from shooting session to shooting session. I have problems with both my rifles. For pest control I'm more confident in the fibre optic open sights of my Gamo Wisper.
Yesterday was my first issue with a bad zero. It may have partially been because I was trying out some non-lead Gamo pellets, but even the Crosmans were off when I tried some bench target shooting. However, it was killing birds right and left before and after the realignment. Yesterday's gold medal was a full-grown rabbit. Took one pellet to kill, but it took him some time to either panic-die or bleed out. Where is the best killzone for small mammals?
Old June 7, 2014, 09:37 PM   #7
viking499

What are the effective distances with pellet rifles?
Old June 7, 2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Safetyfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking499 View Post
I was shooting a can off a fence from at least 150 feet with a 4x32 optic. I'd say that with slightly beefier glass I could easily get kills at 200. Domed pellets are a lot more lethal than powder-burners give them credit for. I'm sure there are ft-lbs charts out there.

http://youtu.be/ly77H14Kak0
Old July 14, 2014, 07:54 AM   #9
hso

Quote:
However, it was killing birds right and left before and after the realignment.
That sounds like you're just killing birds because you've just gotten your rifle like some juvenile jerk. If you're not engaged in legitimate pest control that sort of behavior is unethical and possibly illegal and you could end up with your rights, justifiably, lost for irresponsible behavior depending upon where you live.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 14, 2014, 09:34 AM   #10
diyj98

Perhaps he was killing blackbirds, sparrows, etc. All of which in my area would be totally legal and fun.
Old July 14, 2014, 09:46 AM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
That sounds like you're just killing birds because you've just gotten your rifle like some juvenile jerk.
Please Read The Forum Rules

Personal attacks, are low road and hurt all of us.

That is pretty judgmental isn't it? Kind of depends on what birds an why, I would think.

When I was a kid I shot a lot of birds (and rabbits) left and right out of my Grandfathers garden and was even called to come over one day to kill a blue jay that had come down twice out of a tree above his wash pot grill (he was cooking lunch) and pecking hair from his head to build a nest.

I also remember my father and I killing 121 sparrow's with a single box of shotgun shells. Never was anything we could do to keep them out of the sycamore trees and finally cut them down to keep from having all of the bird crap everywhere.

Quote:
I hit this crow at 98 yds with my RWS 34.

Last edited by jmorris; July 14, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:36 PM   #12
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
That is pretty judgmental isn't it?
Nope. I'd say it is a spot on.

Observe:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=756763

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old July 14, 2014, 03:05 PM   #13
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
That is pretty judgmental isn't it? Kind of depends on what birds an why, I would think.

When I was a kid I shot a lot of birds (and rabbits) left and right out of my Grandfathers garden and was even called to come over one day to kill a blue jay that had come down twice out of a tree above his wash pot grill (he was cooking lunch) and pecking hair from his head to build a nest.

I also remember my father and I killing 121 sparrow's with a single box of shotgun shells. Never was anything we could do to keep them out of the sycamore trees and finally cut them down to keep from having all of the bird crap everywhere.

I hit this crow at 98 yds with my RWS 34.

Not at all considering who it is. This kid shoots deer with pellets for fun
Old July 14, 2014, 08:22 PM   #14
jmorris

Quote:
Nope. I'd say it is a spot on.

Observe:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=756763
Link is not working.
Old July 14, 2014, 08:42 PM   #15
alexander45

Quote:
Not at all considering who it is. This kid shoots deer with pellets for fun
I must have missed this part can't even find it in his old posts?
Old July 14, 2014, 10:15 PM   #16
hso

The link goes to Hunting where he admits to shooting a fawn...because he saw some deer and decided to take a shot at one for some inexplicable reason.

Quote:
Today I saw some deer in the clearing above the driveway, and took a shot through some trees. I hit one right above the front leg and heard it dash away into the underbrush
This isn't some 12 year old boy goofing around unsupervised with his BB gun, but a 22 year old young adult in California shooting animals just for the fun of hitting them with a serious air rifle. He's not hunting, he's just using them for live targets and posting about it. That sort of behavior is unethical and possibly illegal and makes all responsible shooters look bad while giving ammunition to the Antis.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:04 AM   #17
jmorris

I agree with the last statement but without the background knowledge, seemed like a jump to judgement.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:13 AM   #18
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
This isn't some 12 year old boy goofing around unsupervised with his BB gun, but a 22 year old young adult in California shooting animals just for the fun of hitting them with a serious air rifle.
That's bad enough but it's not even the entire story.

He actually killed the fawn, lied about how it died then buried it to cover it up.
Old July 15, 2014, 03:18 PM   #19
ZVP

I read this post with great intrest due to my questions about the rifle however one needs to pratice ethical techniques to their shooting and not indiscriminatelly shoot everything!
That being said, I think our shooter knows what qualifys as a pest species. Wacking Deer in the butt with a BB gun is probablly the best way to chase them.
Pest birs species are pretty easy to identify and the shooter seems to know what a pest species is.
Back to the rifles:
The Gamo boasts velocitys uch higher thn the Diana does,
The Gamo is supposed to shoot in the 1200's whereas I KNOW that a Diana 34 shoots below 900fps, most commonly around 830-40fps,
The ones I own (a Stock 34) shoots right about there and my fully "Tuned" Model 40 (fancy 34 in ,177) shoots around 830 depending on pellets and is extremelly accurate and smooth!
I have been keeping track of all brands of Silenced air rifles on the market today( through PA's great catalogues!_ and with the exception of both Diana and HW, nearly every major manufacturer sells at least one suppressed model. Usually a high velocity "
Long range "hunting" rifle.
Back in the'70's and 80's the question of silencers kept coming up and was avoided like the plague!
With the entrance of todays new manufacturers, Silencers are a common attachment. They are PERMANANTLY affixed to the rifles. so they may not be put on Firearms.
I ran some tests a couple years ago with various Pump Pneumatics, CO2's and Springers of various velocitys to test how dar the shot can be herd.
My rewults proved the CO2 and Pneumarics sound was herd thrpighout the distance of 80 yards.
SHots with Magnum springers were herd from around50 to 80 yards (hardly time enough for game to react) and Springers firing at 700fps were newrly silent. Some were herd at about 10 yards from the target if at all. Giving the game NO rection time.
My conclusion was that springers didn't need silencers (even the Magnums) (nO reaction time) and that the CO2and Pneumatics couls use some form of suppresion.
In all my years of hunting experience, I actually never needed a suppresor on these guns. I simply needed to approach more silentlly or hide better to get Game.
The manufacturers processes have changed and fixed, silenced airguns are almost the norm. Prices are very reasonable too!
Gamo and Hatsan have led the pack.
I also own several Gamo's ((two with synthetic, shrouded barrels (non silenced) and I find their lightweights and balance to be really nice! They are accurate and the thin "real" barrels are accurate out to ranges of 50 yards in the ase of my Daisy/Gamo 131!
So much for thin inner barels!
I have always dedicated my shooting to German and British rifles with steel barrels also Spanish and Czech rifles..
I only keep the accurate rifles because I have no use for rifles that e
won;t hold under 2" @ 60 yards1 Most of my rifles will do WAY better!
I wonder where you could get an X-Ray picture of the modern suppressors used today? It'd be intresting to see how they do it!
Evidentlly it dosen't seem to impair accuracy on both Gas and Spring powerplants and in the case of PCP's, they act like a firearm supressor.
I have never herd of a supressor needing "service" due to clogging.
I hope you have a lot of fun withyour new rifle and that you can prove to other shooters that you DO pratice ethical tactics,
BPDave
Old July 15, 2014, 05:07 PM   #20
illinoisburt

Whacking deer in the butt with a bb gun can get you in serious trouble, however you must be pretty darned sneaky or fast to be able to run up on one and hit it with the stock. Shooting a deer with a weapon of any type, regardless whether you think it's harmless or not, is illegal in pretty much every state (especially CA where the OP lists as residence). As for which birds and mammals can be legally shot as pests -- check your wildlife code! Every state is different. Some require a hunting license, others may not. Protected species vary by location. Many people may not be aware that migratory birds protected under federal laws include not just ducks and geese, but a whole slew of others such as crows, doves and cranes which are required to be regulated by state hunting codes. It is up to us to be responsible gun owners and users. Check the laws and follow them. Poaching is illegal activity regardless the reason people are doing it - food, money, or "fun." If you see irresponsible or illegal behavior, report it. Your actions will help save our rights and sports for future generations.
Old July 15, 2014, 09:44 PM   #21
WALKERs210

I purchased a used Gamo Whisper at a pawn shop a year or two back. Had I not had the chance to shoot it in comparison to the same rifle without the surpressor I would have never thought it was a quite as it is. Only issue is I wish I had bought it sooner, this is one that I love to shoot at targets both paper and swinging steel. Dome pellets seem to be the best for mine and I have tested just about every type that Wally World has to offer. Mine also has the issue of loosing center but never nothing that was earth shattering.
Old July 16, 2014, 12:45 AM   #22
ZVP

Good point! I was just thinking of chasing em off! Protect our rights at all costs
Z V P
Closed Thread