Quantcast
Looking for a back up gun - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: General Discussion

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 9, 2014, 12:21 AM   #26
Barry the Bear

I have narrowed it down to 5 choices. Taurus Pt709, ruger lcp, ruger lcr,s&w 340, or a sig 2500.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:20 AM   #27
FM12

If you're married to the Vaquero, I doubt anything on here (comments) will be of much value to you.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:59 AM   #28
moxie

I'm curious about the concealed thigh holster. How does that work?

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old June 9, 2014, 08:31 AM   #29
StrawHat

I wonder how long it will be until those of us who carry any kind of revolver will be ridiclued for our choice? I am proficient with SA revolvers but prefer to carry an N frame S&W as my revolver of choice.

The choice BTB has made is just that, HIS choice. He is not demanding that you carry a SA revolver. I find fault with the self loading platform, but I do not disparage those who prefer it.

I don't know all the answers but I have made most of the mistakes and lived to tell about them.

www.NoonSharpening.com
Old June 9, 2014, 09:10 AM   #30
BLU

Bought the ankle holster from NAA, on sale, for their Guardian, but.... I use it for the LCP. I don't like ankle holsters, but, this pair is an exception. Comfortable and concealable. I too use this as a BUG while dressed in suit and tie. To each their own but I recommend the NAA ankle holster. You'll forget you have it on with the LCP in there.
Old June 9, 2014, 09:18 AM   #31
BLU

Straw Hat....

Exactly right. I carried a 1911 on duty for 7 years and I instructed for 20 years. After years of teaching Tap-Rack-Bang... still didn't fire? (then) Rip-Work-Tap-Rack-Bang, I am very proficient at it.

Still.... my normal carry piece is a revolver because: Pull The Trigger Again beats all that crap above!

But, to each their own and I harbor no I'll-will towards someone who doesn't mind going through all of that to get a shot off. It's just not for me.
Old June 9, 2014, 10:21 AM   #32
Madcap_Magician

My brain is still stuck on the fact that the OP is working for a health insurance company that requires him to wear a suit but does not mind if he carries a large single-action revolver in a belt holster.
Old June 9, 2014, 11:19 AM   #33
Barry the Bear

They do mine, however I do not. Id rather lose my job than my life. the revolver stays concealed and is.not visible.
Old June 9, 2014, 12:06 PM   #34
WC145

Are you carrying as part of your job or not?
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old June 9, 2014, 01:20 PM   #35
Schwing

It seems that a lot of folks either have never held a Vaquero or don't seem to realize that a bullet hole from a SA revolver is the same as a hole from a semi auto of similar caliber.

While I personally would not consider one as my main carry gun, I would, by no means, feel outgunned with one. I have a good feel for some of the reasons why you carry it and would not let any opinions sway you on that. There is a whole "Spray and pray" mentality nowadays that has no regard for the third law of gun safety, the idea being that if you have enough bullets and can pull the trigger fast enough that you will be golden

For your criteria, I would check out a Ruger LCR in .38. It is small and light enough to fit in an ankle or even a pocket holster yet has a very comfortable grip and a smooth trigger. For someone who has no aversion to revolvers, I think it is one of the finest smaller options out there.
Old June 9, 2014, 01:29 PM   #36
Cooldill

If you really think that a single action revolver is a suitable defensive weapon in the year 2014, you are beyond help. Put the cowboy gun down and get something that will actually save your life when you need it, not get you killed.

There are a number of excellent tactical platforms that the operator can choose from these days. Someone else recommended an XDS 45, that sounds just about perfect for you IMHO.
Old June 9, 2014, 01:45 PM   #37
Schwing

Quote:
If you really think that a single action revolver is a suitable defensive weapon in the year 2014, you are beyond help. Put the cowboy gun down and get something that will actually save your life when you need it, not get you killed.
I see why most people feel this way but I disagree. People have lost a lot of respect for old timey weapons but they still kill very effectively and with the same level of accuracy and lower level of malfunction.

The article below doesn't specify that a SA revolver was used but it is very clear that this "Cowboy" saved an officer's life one very calculated shot at a time. I also found it amusing that, as it turns out, the office was armed with an AR-15 and was completely ineffective from his pinned down position. The "Cowboy" took out the bad guy from a distance of 100-165 yards with a "Magnum caliber revolver".

http://gunsnfreedom.com/armed-texas-...s-with-pistol/
Old June 9, 2014, 02:05 PM   #38
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing View Post
I see why most people feel this way but I disagree. People have lost a lot of respect for old timey weapons but they still kill very effectively and with the same level of accuracy and lower level of malfunction.

The article below doesn't specify that a SA revolver was used but it is very clear that this "Cowboy" saved an officer's life one very calculated shot at a time. I also found it amusing that, as it turns out, the office was armed with an AR-15 and was completely ineffective from his pinned down position. The "Cowboy" took out the bad guy from a distance of 100-165 yards with a "Magnum caliber revolver".

http://gunsnfreedom.com/armed-texas-...s-with-pistol/
Well what does this prove? If the cowboy was armed with a Glock 20 10mm, would the outcome have been any different? I seriously doubt it.

A single action revolver is one step above a cap and ball revolver, which is an utterly useless defensive weapon these days as well. I just don't understand why some people are stuck in the 1800s with the Lone Ranger and whoever else, the fact of the matter is single action revolvers are 100% obsolete for defensive service today, when you have everyone and their brother walking the streets with all manner of high-capacity semi-automatic pistol, which are highly effective, carrying a single action revolver is a step in the WRONG direction and it might well get someone killed.
Old June 9, 2014, 02:19 PM   #39
Schwing

It's all good. I know why you feel that way I just don't agree that they cannot be effective for self defense. People carry them and even use them in SD situations all of the time.

Having said that, I DON'T carry a SA revolver for the very reasons that you probably don't. I just have a healthy respect for older weapons having seen how well they can be used by someone who is proficient with them. Even cap and ball revolvers will kill with a well placed round as effectively as a round fired from a Glock 20 10mm and, in all of my years, I have seen a revolver malfunction all of one time.

In some respects, I don't disagree with you either. There are reasons why our military and law enforcement gave up revolvers for higher capacity and lighter options. In either case, I wish no offense to your opinions. Our experience and collection define what those opinions are and I am sure yours are different than mine
Old June 9, 2014, 02:27 PM   #40
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing View Post
It's all good. I know why you feel that way I just don't agree that they cannot be effective for self defense. People carry them and even use them in SD situations all of the time.

Having said that, I DON'T carry a SA revolver for the very reasons that you probably don't. I just have a healthy respect for older weapons having seen how well they can be used by someone who is proficient with them. Even cap and ball revolvers will kill with a well placed round as effectively as a round fired from a Glock 20 10mm and, in all of my years, I have seen a revolver malfunction all of one time.

In some respects, I don't disagree with you either. There are reasons why our military and law enforcement gave up revolvers for higher capacity and lighter options. In either case, I wish no offense to your opinions. Our experience and collection define what those opinions are and I am sure yours are different than mine
I think modern double-action revolvers are viable for defense though, quite a bit easier to shoot faster with them and reloads can be very rapid. But single action guns? Nuh uh, not these days. JMHO, YMMV.

-CDill
Old June 9, 2014, 04:28 PM   #41
ljnowell

This has gotten ridiculous. To all those arguing about the OPs choice of a vaquero, he didn't ask your opinion nor is this thread about that. It's about the backup he is going to carry. Climb down off your horses and answer the question asked.

It amazes me that people feel that a six shot revolver isn't adequate in this day and age. The reason this man is carrying a backup is because of slow reloading. Leave him alone about his primary.
Old June 9, 2014, 04:36 PM   #42
Haywood

I could only suggest what I carry as back up. S&W442 and LCR357.
Old June 9, 2014, 04:36 PM   #43
moxie

Still curious about that concealed thigh holster.

Any clues how that works??

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old June 9, 2014, 04:45 PM   #44
David E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie View Post
Still curious about that concealed thigh holster.

Any clues how that works??
Business suit with a kilt?

Of the two, Speed is the most decisive.

~ David E
Old June 9, 2014, 04:50 PM   #45
moxie

I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old June 9, 2014, 05:13 PM   #46
murf

btb,

like the attitude re: the employer. don't let anyone compromise you personal defense setup.

have you thought about a cross-draw rig for your bug?

murf

it takes an enormous amount of time and practice to become fully-automatic - mindless repetition.

festina lente
Old June 9, 2014, 06:32 PM   #47
Barry the Bear

No I havent thought of a cross draw holster, I was thinking ankle or thigh carry would be the easiest for a back up gun, although crossdraw would be easier to access.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:48 PM   #48
WC145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljnowell View Post
This has gotten ridiculous. To all those arguing about the OPs choice of a vaquero, he didn't ask your opinion nor is this thread about that. It's about the backup he is going to carry. Climb down off your horses and answer the question asked.

It amazes me that people feel that a six shot revolver isn't adequate in this day and age. The reason this man is carrying a backup is because of slow reloading. Leave him alone about his primary.
Not a thing wrong with a six shot DA revolver and speed loaders but a single action revolver is a hindrance and could be a liability for professional carry. That is, of course, supposing he is carrying in a professional capacity, that's how he made it sound. The fact that it has to be cocked to be put into action and then the hammer has to be manually dropped on a live round to decock it and take it out of action are two reasons the SA revolver is inappropriate for professional carry. Add to that the fact that compared to a DA revolver they are ridiculously slow to fire and reload and you have a recipe for disaster if the OP is expected to be able to protect himself and others. These are just a few of the reasons that armed professionals don't carry cowboy guns, a fact that some of us that carry guns for a living were trying to point out to the OP.

And where did you see that the OP stated he needed a BUG due to how slow it is to reload the Vaquero? In his original post he stated he had a new job and needed a back up gun, period. His later posts infer that he feels that the Vaquero is an appropriate duty gun, which it is not and, again, some of us were pointing that out. However, if the bad guys all decide to go back to carrying muzzle loading single shot pistols I suppose I could see my dept switching to Vaqueros, Blackhawks, and Colt SAAs for everyone. except SWAT, they'd get Winchester 94s to go with them.

In the grand scheme of things, if this guy gets himself killed on the job because of his choice of weapon, oh well, he brought it on himself. On the other hand, if people he is supposed to be defending or protecting are harmed because of his choice of weapon that's a different story, he is no longer an asset but a liability. I certainly wouldn't want to work next him.

And I did answer his question - the best BUG for an armed professional is a quality small frame DA revolver in an appropriate caliber.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old June 9, 2014, 07:23 PM   #49
murf

much easier if you are going to be driving a lot.

murf

it takes an enormous amount of time and practice to become fully-automatic - mindless repetition.

festina lente
Old June 9, 2014, 08:07 PM   #50
hseII

Looking for a back up gun

OP,
This:
Attachment 199463

Like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402358807.521628.jpg

In your front or back pocket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402358781.360594.jpg (215.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by hseII; June 9, 2014 at 08:12 PM.