Quantcast
What I learned on "Northwoods Law"... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 14, 2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Grumulkin

What I learned on "Northwoods Law"...

I learned something new from watching "Northwoods Law" today. One of the game wardens noted that an arrow speeds up after leaving the bow. That right folks; don't shoot your deer with an arrow at 10 yards because the arrow may not be going fast enough. You need to be a bit further away than that.
Old June 14, 2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Patocazador

Newton would like to hear that theory expounded upon, I'm sure.

At 1000 yards that arrow must really be moving. Warp speed IS possible after all.

Bob
Old June 14, 2014, 07:08 PM   #3
DT Guy

I do know that an arrow stabilizes after leaving the bow, although I'm not sure at what distance; could be he confused 'velocity' with 'stability.'

Or he was in idiot; never discount the possibility....

Larry
Old June 14, 2014, 07:32 PM   #4
yzguy87

Well apparantly Newton never heard of the Northwood Law
Old June 14, 2014, 08:04 PM   #5
rcmodel

I think what he was talking about is arrow flex / gyrations when it leaves the bow.
It takes a ways for it to stabilize and fly right.

Thats why the spine of the arrow must be matched to the bow weight & draw length.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmtoEjj...eature=related

But it most certainly cannot gain any speed without the bow sting still pushing it!
It starts slowing down the instent the nock leaves the string.

rc
Old June 14, 2014, 09:07 PM   #6
SlamFire1

Quote:
One of the game wardens noted that an arrow speeds up after leaving the bow. That right folks; don't shoot your deer with an arrow at 10 yards because the arrow may not be going fast enough. You need to be a bit further away than that.
We all carry in our heads fallacious theories on how the world works, people are always trying to model the world to predict future events. We created these theories from various sources: things we experienced, things were told, ideas and experiences we cobbled together which formed a fallacious theory. These theories often contradict each other, but since we never seriously examine them , we don’t trip over those contradictions.

I suspect this guy heard something, saw something, pieced the two together and came up with this idea. However, without an external force to continue accelerating the arrow, it is not going to go faster once it leaves the bow.
Old June 14, 2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Grumulkin

It was nothing about arrow flex, etc. A guy had shot a deer with a bow which then got away. The game warden was going to help recover it and asked how far away it was when he shot it. They guy said 10 yards. The game warden said that could be a problem as the arrow was "still accelerating" and might not be going fast enough to do the job.
Old June 14, 2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Bezoar

sorry, but for what the warden said, would require a breakthrough in phsyics that would allow for construction of warp drives and teleporters.

anyway..... wardens arent exactly smart in all things. on one of those shows the warden said a taurus judge with .410 buckshot was the best round for grizzly bear stopping.
Old June 15, 2014, 12:29 AM   #9
gamestalker

That's not what my chrony is saying. I checked fps at just in front of the riser, at 5 yds, 10 yds., and at 40 yds.. Everything beyond the riser showed progressively lower velocities the further away it was.

GS
Old June 15, 2014, 08:48 AM   #10
H&Hhunter

Maybe it was a two stage rocket booster powered arrow. When the boosters fire the arrow would accelerate. There are many misconceptions about bullets and arrows out there. One of the most common with bullets is that a bullet magically initially rises when shot from a gun. That's because you have your sights or scope set so that your gun is slightly elevated but I can assure that gravity/ drag is immediately affecting your bullet and arrow the instant it leaves your barrel or the nock. And gravity/drag do not accelerate or elevate a bullet or an arrow once it's free from its initial accelerant force.

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.” - H.L. Mencken

Last edited by H&Hhunter; June 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old June 15, 2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Administrator

"The problem isn't what people don't know. It's what they know that isn't so that's the problem." -- Will Rogers, 80-some years ago.
Old June 15, 2014, 01:10 PM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumulkin View Post
That right folks; don't shoot your deer with an arrow at 10 yards because the arrow may not be going fast enough. You need to be a bit further away than that.

Too late. I've shot several deer @ 10 yards with a bow. Problem generally isn't arrow speed at that range but angle when one is hunting from a tree stand. Any one that has hunted with long bows and recurves, as opposed to today's compounds, knows that arrow speed is not as important as shot placement, nor is it as important as tracking/bloodtrailing skills. The "Northwoods" warden was just repeating some "Northwoods" lore.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old June 15, 2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Sol

I stopped learning stuff on TV when Mr.Wizard and Jack Horkheimer stopped being on the TV.

Except a few things here and there that needed no explanation.
Old June 16, 2014, 08:01 AM   #14
MtnCreek

Quote:
That's not what my chrony is saying. I checked fps at just in front of the riser, at 5 yds, 10 yds., and at 40 yds..
You're either a very confident shot with a bow or you have no respect for your chronograph.
Old June 22, 2014, 07:21 AM   #15
41 Mag

Quote:
Quote:
That's not what my chrony is saying. I checked fps at just in front of the riser, at 5 yds, 10 yds., and at 40 yds..

Quote:
You're either a very confident shot with a bow or you have no respect for your chronograph.
I have done the same thing many times myself, and my results mirror gamestalker's findings.

I am VERY confident when shooting at those bag targets and blocks, my issues usually begin when I have deer in front of me

41 Mag's - Photobucket Page
Old June 22, 2014, 11:35 AM   #16
tomrkba

Sorry, but "The Dukes of Hazard" proves arrows accelerate after leaving the bow and explode upon impact.

Open carry in a constructive way.

I do not care what your race is so long as it is "responsible gun owner".
Old June 24, 2014, 11:22 PM   #17
Sun Tzu warrior

Must be true.... a game warden said so, on TV!
The last buck I liver shot, at 8 yards, ran a 10 yard semicircle and died right there, must not have watched TV.
STW
Old June 24, 2014, 11:57 PM   #18
gspn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumulkin View Post
That right folks; don't shoot your deer with an arrow at 10 yards because the arrow may not be going fast enough. You need to be a bit further away than that.
I don't know what "north woods law" is…but that statement is total garbage. Others have talked about the obvious things (like the laws of physics) that would prove it to be untrue so I'll relay some practical application stuff. I've shot LOTS of stuff at 10 yards with a bow…both targets and deer. At 10 yards that arrow will usually pass right through a deer and keep going another 20 yards or so before burying itself in the dirt (when hunting from the ground).

When shooting targets, your arrows will be buried much deeper in them at 10 yards than at 40 yards. Simple stuff.
Memo to all nsa, fbi, cia, dia, dea, atf, mba, aok, fmj, kgb, MI5, and any others that might be listeneing/reading/tracking my metadata...i share this computer with an old lady, an ex-con, a priest, a used car salesman, a military veteran, a pacifist, a vegetarian, a hunter, a circus midget, a Panamanian strong man, and a chihuahua...so any data you have will be random and useless...good luck.

My outdoors blog…stories about hunting, fishing, and life:

http://southernoutdoorsman.blogspot.com

Last edited by gspn; June 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old June 25, 2014, 11:55 AM   #19
returningfire

Of course it is going faster than it is before it leaves the bow. That's psychics 99.
Old June 25, 2014, 09:51 PM   #20
H&Hhunter

Quote:
Of course it is going faster than it is before it leaves the bow. That's psychics 99.
That depends on how fast you were running when you let loose of your arrow. Haven't you ever watched the coyote and roadrunner show?

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.” - H.L. Mencken