Quantcast
getting pitting out of a single shot shotgun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 14, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1
loose noose

getting pitting out of a single shot shotgun

My grandson recently bought a used 12ga. single shot, shotgun, and brought it out here for fathers day to have me take a look at it and see what I thought about it. The gun is a Harrington and Richardson, and it appears pretty solid, however it does have pitting on the inside of the bore. The outside is really nice no rust or pitting.

My question is, is there any way I could get the pitting removed from the bore? It is ok to shoot in the condition it is in, but my grandson is a chip off the old block, and needs to have everything perfect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 14, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2
rcmodel

No, pits are rusted below the surface of the bore.

And there is no possible way to remove them without removing some of the bore until you get back to solid smooth metal below the bottom of the pits.
Then you got a z10 ga instead of a 12 ga!

Best advice I have is get:
A package of 0000 (Super-Fine) steel wool.
A bronze bore brush of the proper gage.
A cleaning rod without a handle.
And an electric drill.

Wrap the steel wool around the bore brush, chuck it in the drill, and using powder solvent, spin it in the bore, in & out for a while.
Keep changing the steel wool as it wears out.

As for safety?
Unless it is so old it is twist or damascus steel, it probably isn't pitted deep enough to be a safety issue.

rc
Old June 15, 2014, 02:34 AM   #3
LAGS

I had one in the same condition.
I used a cheap Automotive Two Stone Brake Cylinder hone on a drill extension from the chamber end and tried not to hone out the choke.

Tip,
Wrap the extension and connector to the hone with electrical tape.
Old June 15, 2014, 08:40 AM   #4
carbine85

I would just clean it up and and shoot low power shells through it. The pits in the bore won't hurt anything.

"That's the good thing as a President, I can do whatever I want"
Barack Obama - Americas 1st Dictator
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights)
Old June 15, 2014, 10:09 AM   #5
4v50 Gary

If it was a rifle with a pitted bore that shot poorly, I would suggest you have it bored out and relined. Shotgun barrels are thin so that option is not available. I wouldn't worry about the pits.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:11 AM   #6
loose noose

RC I've already tried the bronze brush and steel wool, it made it look a little bit better, but what can I say. I don't believe the gun is all that old, it does have a fixed modified choke. I'm not too sure about using a brake hone however. Unfortunately, his dad, my son, told him he was sure "grandpa" could fix it. BTW they're going back tomorrow, but I will get him for a week the last week of this month, and he does enjoy shooting. Plan on taking him up to the trap range I belong to. Anyway any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:37 AM   #7
45_auto

Pawn shops around here are loaded with 12 gauge H&R's for less than $100. If it means that much to you, buy one with a good barrel, swap the barrels, then sell the pawn shop one with the pitted barrel cheap.
Old June 15, 2014, 01:16 PM   #8
loose noose

.45 Auto, now that is a great idea, I'm gonna have to start looking here shortly. I believe he paid just under $100.00 for it. He won't even know the difference, hopefully I'll be able to find a modified choke.
Old June 15, 2014, 01:23 PM   #9
LAGS

@ Loose Noose
The Brake hone will not be doing heavy metal removal, it more just polishes the metal, and if done wet like with alcohol the same as you would polish out the brake cylinders, you should be fine.
But you can also take a 1/2" wood dowel, and saw a split in the end about 1" long and insert a strip of 600 grit Aluminium Oxcide sandpaper in the slot, and wrap it around the dowel like a flap wheel.
It doesnt need to be tight in the bore.
When spun in a drill motor, it will polish up the bore really nice and not remove any sugnificant amount of metal.
Again , do it wet with oil or WD-40
Old June 15, 2014, 06:47 PM   #10
loose noose

Thank ya Lags, reckon I might try that, cause needless to say we're not out anything.
Old June 15, 2014, 07:42 PM   #11
rcmodel

I agree.

But 400 or 320 emery cloth will get you there faster.

600 paper wears slick & loads up before you get started going good in my experience.
It's great for final polish though.

rc
Old June 15, 2014, 08:38 PM   #12
loose noose

Hey RC, I just saw in my Brownell's catalogue that they have a hone made especially for shotgun barrels, the problem is the cost is only like $15.00 for the hone but the extension is like $78.00. They advertise that they are the cats meow in polishing up the bore of a shotgun, with pitting etc. Supposedly will make a pitted barrel shine like better than new.

BTW Lags I tried the wooden dowel but couldn't get it in my 3/8" drill, my drill press is 1/2" but it is too cumbersome to try. Thanks any way for the suggestions.

Tell me RC are you familiar with that particular hone? Is it worth the money? I'm thinking about getting another H&R single barrel and swapping 'em out, however the dang gun out here goes for over a $100.00.
Old June 15, 2014, 09:01 PM   #13
rcmodel

Yea.

The Brownell's hone is just a small brake cylinder hone LAGS mentioned that you can buy at an auto parts store.

You can make your own extension with a little ingenuity, tubing, and some low-temp silver solder.
Old June 15, 2014, 09:03 PM   #14
BBBBill

That hone is a standard small diameter brake cylinder hone easily sourced. Here it is a little cheaper. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-10500?seid=srese2
The extension shaft is probably made in small quantities, hence the seemingly high price. Dealer cost is quite a bit less.
Old June 16, 2014, 01:20 AM   #15
LAGS

@ Loose Noose.
If your chuck on your drill is only 3/8" then just use a 3/8 Dowel.
I had just mentioned the 1/2" because it doesnt flex as much.
But the sandpaper will follow the surface of the barrel and it is not required to be centered or held against the sides of the barrel.
As the dowel is spinning , keep it moving in and out of the bore and dont let it sit and spin in one place too long.

I bet the dowel and sandpaper flap wheel will shine up the bore real nice with little effort and cost.

And if you want to use the Brake Hone, you can buy a drill extension at Home Depot pretty cheap.
They are made for the 1/4" hex shaft Spade wood bits, but will work for round shank 1/4" bits or things like hones and grinding rasps and stones.
The bits are held in by two allen set screws
Old June 16, 2014, 09:43 AM   #16
loose noose

Hey thank ya Lags, I'm gonna have to go over to Home Depot this morning, and check out the extension, I'm thinking about getting the small brake hone at one of the auto parts stores later today. Although the two closest said they didn't have any in stock.

Anyway my grandson and his Dad & Mom left and went home last night and they left the gun with me to try and fix. Father's Day bah hum bug.
Old June 16, 2014, 11:24 AM   #17
wendellgj

I want to thank you for starting this conversation. It has been very educational and I have a similar problem to attack. Now the procedures are at hand.
Old June 16, 2014, 08:43 PM   #18
LAGS

@ Loose Noose.
Most Brake cylinder hones come in differant sizes and amount of stones.
I found the ones with Two Stones seem to fit the bore better than the Three Stone ones.
And sometimes you can find the Hones that look like a wire brush that has little balls of grinding stone on the bristles in the size you need.
They look like the Hone that Brownells sells.
Remember to also Wet Hone, and not let the stones or sandpaper run Dry.
A Squirt bottle works good if you are using Alcohol.
Or just use WD-40 and spray the bore while the hone is spinning
But remember to Wrap the extension with electrical tape to protect the bore.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old June 16, 2014, 08:59 PM   #19
loose noose

Hey Lags, I checked with every auto parts store around here and no one has the smaller hone. Guess I'm gonna have to order one from Midway, and then go to Home Depot and get the extension.
Old June 16, 2014, 10:50 PM   #20
LAGS

Before you go to all that trouble, try the Dowel and sandpaper.
Either use the 3/8 Dowel or just sand or file the end of the 1/2" dowl down to fit in your hand drill.
You dont have to be perfect, and even if you carving/ sanding of the dowel is not perfectly centered, it works just fine.
The sandpaper is still spinning and polishing, and you are not trying to Resize the Bore.
The sandpaper follows the shape of the bore, the mandral or dowel is just to rotate the sandpaper Flap.
Old June 17, 2014, 09:18 AM   #21
Jim Watson

These guys have probably sanded out enough barrels to have learned a little technique.
You can get one pretty wavy if you aren't careful.

The British routinely polish the inside and "restrike" the outside of shotgun barrels in for refinishing, but they have proof laws that limit how thin they can go. Not likely a problem for an American single, though.
Old June 17, 2014, 11:31 AM   #22
loose noose

I thank ya again Lags, and Jim I don't think I'll be out much if I make the bore a bit wavy just using 400 wet and dry sand paper.
Old June 18, 2014, 06:35 PM   #23
loose noose

Well Lags I tried it using a piece of 400 grit wet and dry sand paper and used a bunch of WD40 to no avail. It does look a little bit better but I can still see the pitting, reckon I'll order the hone and try that. Darn grandsons, oh well he is my one and only so what can I say.
Old June 18, 2014, 07:41 PM   #24
rcmodel

Get some 240 & 320 emery cloth and try that first.

rc
Old June 18, 2014, 09:01 PM   #25
loose noose

I just might try that, I don't see where I'd be out anything, I thank ya in advance.