Quantcast
The Stats Prove It: 'Gun Free Zones' Simply Don't Work - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 15, 2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Red Wind

The Stats Prove It: 'Gun Free Zones' Simply Don't Work

From the Tea Party News Network. Everybody's gotta have a network now! A lot of common sense reasoning and a list of concealed carry statistics.

Quote:
Tuesday morning, this country experienced yet another school shooting when a 15-year-old took a gun into Reynolds High School in Oregon and opened fire, killing one student and injuring a teacher before turning the gun on himself. At one point, an assistant principal reportedly told students, “This is not a drill.”

It seems like it never is anymore. Just last week, there was another shooting, which local media outlets reported as an isolated incident, at Fort Hood. The media seems to spend so much time highlighting incidents like these, but news outlets routinely fail to mention a key factor of such shootings, namely that they often occur in gun-free zones — places like Reynolds High School, Fort Hood and even UT.
Old June 15, 2014, 01:46 PM   #2
RevDerb

You're singing to the choir.
Old June 15, 2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Red Wind

But it's such a lovely choir, RevDerb! I don't think most will mind.
Old June 15, 2014, 07:53 PM   #4
jerkface11

You think he's singing to the choir but give it a few minutes and there will be 3 people posting about how gun free zones don't make you less safe.
we can work together to enact commonsense improvements—like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole—so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few. DNC party patform.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:47 PM   #5
bldsmith

Public schools are not gun free zones here in Or. CHL's are allowed to carry. It is not politically correct and some public school districts and individual public schools try to prevent carry but state preemption allows it. Just thought I would mention it.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:55 PM   #6
hso

Quote:
gun free zones don't make you less safe
Not exactly, but the fact is these nutjobs aren't picking "gun free zones" because that's our buzzword and not the general public's. They go where they know they're generally familiar and where they'll get the most attention (the guy in Santa Barbara drove around, but it appears he spent a lot of time in his Beamer wenging about his miserable life while driving around the area so he may be an odd example of the same) for their bloodthirsty behavior. That means schools and malls.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old June 16, 2014, 11:04 AM   #7
happygeek

Well, this editorial writer argues that mass shooters aren't specifically targeting "gun free" zones: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...olumn/2015657/

Of course, he doesn't address the contention that incidents in said zones always seem to be worse.

What seems to make the most difference is how quickly somebody responds, whether that somebody is an armed off duty cop or a civilian with mace.
Old June 16, 2014, 11:13 AM   #8
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hso View Post
Not exactly, but the fact is these nutjobs aren't picking "gun free zones" because that's our buzzword and not the general public's. They go where they know they're generally familiar and where they'll get the most attention (the guy in Santa Barbara drove around, but it appears he spent a lot of time in his Beamer wenging about his miserable life while driving around the area so he may be an odd example of the same) for their bloodthirsty behavior. That means schools and malls.

^^^Exactly. The nut cases are looking to make the most noise and are expecting to die anyway. They are looking for 15 minutes of fame and their macabre place in history. Schools are targeted not because they are gun free, but because attacks on them get the most sensational news coverage. Going down in a hail of gun fire after killing even just one 6 yer old gives them the notoriety they are looking for.

Now....professional criminals looking to get away are a different story.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old June 17, 2014, 04:53 AM   #9
Joe Demko

The point isn't worth further discussion. The choir believes what they intuitively know MUST be the case. They get irritable at the suggestion that their intuition is misleading them. Maybe Double Naught Spy has the patience to go over it again. I don't. There is shooting and motorcycling to be done and both are more productive uses of time.
Old June 17, 2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Walkalong

Gun free zones do not make me feel less safe, cause I just don't worry about it. I carry where I can, but not always, and I don't carry where I cannot. I stay alert, but not paranoid.

Gun free zones do make the people there more vulnerable to attack from some nut looking for an easy place to slaughter people. No doubt about that.

Gun free zones are not likely to go away anytime soon. Other shootings will happen. Unarmed, helpless, people will be killed. The media will blame it on guns and the antis will try to take it out on law abiding gun owners. That is what they do.

Get involved and fight the antis at the polls.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #11
stonecutter2

There was a shooting at an East Peoria bar this past weekend. My niece was there. 2 people killed, some guy killed his ex-wife and her boyfriend while they attended a class reunion.

This is a place where concealed carry isn't allowed, which is certainly a theme among these kinds of shootings.

What this guy didn't count on, I'm sure, was the armed off duty "law enforcement officer" (some sources say FBI) who was carrying - and who immediately ended the threat.

People don't like it, but it's absolutely true:

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.
Old June 17, 2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Red Wind

Quote:
The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.
That again sums it up well,stonecutter.. And the insanity of leaving your home state with a CCW good in 34 other states (Florida) and still not passing muster per the BATFE in that sacred 1,000 foot GFSZ is certainly a case for Einstein's scrutiny.

When will this insanity end? Even The Shadow doesn't know.

Old June 17, 2014, 04:27 PM   #13
Blue Brick

Quote:
When will this insanity end? Even The Shadow doesn't know.

Then someone needs to hire Johnny Dollar or Sam Spade.
Old June 17, 2014, 08:02 PM   #14
we are not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkface11 View Post
You think he's singing to the choir but give it a few minutes and there will be 3 people posting about how gun free zones don't make you less safe.
You were right!

Unfortunately.
Old June 21, 2014, 04:29 AM   #15
Red Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Brick
Then someone needs to hire Johnny Dollar or Sam Spade.
Two very good men!
Old June 22, 2014, 04:15 PM   #16
celem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldsmith View Post
Public schools are not gun free zones here in Or. CHL's are allowed to carry. It is not politically correct and some public school districts and individual public schools try to prevent carry but state preemption allows it. Just thought I would mention it.
Oregon sounds more rational than North Carolina.