Quantcast
Have you ever had this problem with a Leupold scope...??... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Firearm Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 15, 2014, 09:03 PM   #1
stiab

Have you ever had this problem with a Leupold scope...??...

I bought a used Leupold 2x7 Vari-X II from a gun shop. Stepped out on the porch to check out the clarity, it was good, no cosmetic problems with the tube, talked them down to $200 OTD and left with it. Mounted it on a Savage 99 for deer hunting next fall, and today used the laser to bore sight.

Two problems: (1) the vertical and horizonal adjustments are very hard to move, you can't turn them with just a coin. It takes a screw driver with lots of force. (2) The power will easily turn from 7x to 4x, but below that I can't do it with just my bare hands.

You can't make any of these adjustments while looking through the scope, you have to lower the rifle, grasp it firmly and use undue force. I loosened the rings to make sure there was no binding there, still the same problems. I've never had this experience before in decades of deer hunting. What do you think?
Old June 15, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2
HexHead

Assuming it has a gold ring on the objective, I think you should send it back home to Leupold, you'll either get it back like new, or a new scope. Their "Gold Ring" scopes have a lifetime warranty regardless if you're the first owner or the 30th.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old June 15, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
witchhunter

Yup, send it back to Leupold. They will fix you up. Excellent customer service.
Old June 16, 2014, 02:13 PM   #4
judgedelta
Contributing Member

Had a similar problem with a brand new VX6 3-18. Magnification ring was so tight couldn't turn with rifle at shoulder. Sent it back to Leupy and got it back some better. Took about a month. I think I paid the shipping to them, but might have been reimbursed, can't remember. If it's too tight and you keep forcing it, something will probably break...
Old June 16, 2014, 03:46 PM   #5
gamestalker

I've had nothing but positive CS experiences with Leupold. I've sent in otics that were more than 30 yrs. old and I always get a completely refurbished optic back 2 or 3 weeks later. I bought a pair of 20 yr. old binoculars that I bought at a pawn shop for $8, sent them in and when I got them back, they looked nearly brand new, with a new strap and case.

GS
Old June 16, 2014, 03:55 PM   #6
chickasaw_hunter

Call Leupold and talk to them and establish your scope is in fact a Leupold and not a counterfeit from China. If it is a Leupold I think you'll be golden and they will take care of it. If it is a counterfeit your screwed and need to talk to the folks who sold it to you as a Leupold, they might not be aware it was a counterfeit. There is a warning on the Leupold website that warns customers about the counterfeit scope and how to determine real from phony. Good luck.
Old June 17, 2014, 10:01 AM   #7
stiab

Quote:
establish your scope is in fact a Leupold and not a counterfeit from China
Thanks, but this is a real one, a vintage hunting scope, not the newer stuff being faked. Thanks again...
Old June 17, 2014, 11:51 AM   #8
jmr40

Not to rain on your parade, but the Vari-x line was dropped years ago and Leupold has gone through several upgrades since then. A brand new VX-1 sells for around $200 and is significantly better than the older Varix-II's.

The good news is that Leupold will repair your scope and have it as good as new if you send it back.
Old June 17, 2014, 04:37 PM   #9
stiab

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade
I'm not sure how what you are saying could be raining on my parade. I'm aware of the changes Leupold made a few years ago, and the last two Leupolds I bought new were VX-1's, but I only put vintage scopes on my vintage deer rifles.

I made the OP because after owning Leupold scopes for over 40 years, and knowing many others who own them, I've never experienced or heard of this particular problem.

Old June 17, 2014, 07:11 PM   #10
gamestalker

If the turrets won't turn with normal resistance, I sure wouldn't take a screw driver to them and use brute force. That right there indicates something is drastically wrong. The first thing to do is go to their web site and do the counterfeit check list to make sure, it's actually a Leupold.

So, once you've established it's a Leupold, there are two ways to handle it, either call Leupold and obtain a repair order / reference number, or, go to their wed site and request a repair, they'll e-mail you a reference # for a repair order, then just package it up and ship it off to them with a note explaining the problem.

Since the internet has come along, I always do the e-mail thing, never had a problem with Leupold taking care of me. I've got two right now that need to be shipped of to them.

GS
Old June 17, 2014, 07:19 PM   #11
gamestalker

Stiff diopter adjustment and power settings are almost always the norm with Leupold's, more so the older stuff. Leupold even told me so, and that with continued use they will loosen up slightly, but the O rings and tolerances necessary to maintain the leak proof seals are the reason. But the turrets should be able to be adjusted with a coin without much effort, some, but not so much that a screw driver is needed.

Send it in.

GS
Old June 17, 2014, 09:02 PM   #12
stiab

Yep, shipped it back today, there was never any doubt it was going back to the factory. The question was whether other folks had experienced this same problem with a Leupold, and it looks like only one responder has. Must be pretty unusual.
Old June 17, 2014, 09:19 PM   #13
HexHead

I saw a couple of Leupold reps today and asked about the issue you were having because I was curious. They said those type problems are typically caused by rings being too tight. That causes the erectors inside to bind.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old June 17, 2014, 11:44 PM   #14
stiab

Quote:
They said those type problems are typically caused by rings being too tight.
Yes, that can happen for sure. That's why as I said in the OP that I loosened the rings to make sure they were not binding. Thanks for asking them.
Old June 18, 2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Krogen

I've been using Leupold scopes since the mid 80's. I've never had the issue you describe, or for that mattter, >any< problems! I hear that Leupold has excellent customer service, but I can't vouch for it since I haven't needed it. Anymore, I don't even consider other brands of scopes. Certainly I can go cheaper, and perhaps there are better optics available, but Leupold scope just work.
Old June 18, 2014, 01:46 PM   #16
Outlaw Man
Contributing Member

I think the reason so many people don't know about Leupold's customer service is because they usually never need it.

I've never heard of the issue, personally. Nice looking rifle, though!!
Old June 18, 2014, 11:00 PM   #17
stiab

Quote:
I think the reason so many people don't know about Leupold's customer service is because they usually never need it.
I think you are right about that, I bought my first Leupold in 1971, and currently own 4, and have never used their customer service until now.

Quote:
Nice looking rifle, though!!
Thanks, it's a rare one in .358 Winchester!
Old June 20, 2014, 12:59 AM   #18
gamestalker

I've probably used Leupold CS 5 or 6 times, but only one repair resulted from a failure with the product. All others have been the result of something I did, dropping the optic, driving over it, buying old beat up glass that needs refurbishing, you know, the usual stuff. They'll take good care of you I'm sure.

GS
Old July 4, 2014, 05:40 PM   #19
stiab

Updated info on Leupold scope...

...I sent it back, they kept it 3 days and fixed it, returned it to me by priority mail. Appears to work just fine now. Makes me not want to buy any other kind of scope in the future!
Old July 4, 2014, 09:06 PM   #20
rcmodel

Yes!
And well it should!

Leupold's no BS lifetime warranty is better then their scopes.

Which are better then anything else out there in the same price range.

And you don't even have to be the original owner.

rc
Old July 8, 2014, 07:38 AM   #21
eastbank

i have a friend who dropped his rifle while hunting and the front end of the 2x7 leupold took the full force of the drop,denting the bell and cracking the front lense. when i saw the scope,i told him to call leupold and see what they say. he was told to send it in and they would look at it, he recieved a new 2x7 scope at no charge with in 3 weeks. needless to say, but leupold has a new customer for life now. if there is better customer service from another scope maker i would like hear about it. eastbank.
Old July 9, 2014, 02:16 AM   #22
gamestalker

I don't know if there is a better CS, but Vortex certainly has as good of CS, likely because they knew they had to compete with the best.

GS