Quantcast
What Type of Holster Clip is best? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 16, 2014, 08:21 AM   #1
LeftyTSGC

What Type of Holster Clip is best?

I am wondering on which, if any, type of clips for holsters are best?

I am looking at getting an IWB (crossbreed, aliengear) type holster and see that there are a few options on clips. I plan on using the IWB with 1.5 inch thick leather belt. I am not just looking for which is stronger, but which one functions better and which one looks better and is not as obvious? Any thoughts.

I hear many opinions but would like to know some facts.

Thanks,

Lefty
Old June 16, 2014, 08:59 AM   #2
340PD

Before you choose, please check out http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-holsters/

These guys make a really solid, well designed product. The leather lined kydex is the best of both worlds and their over the belt clips hold, and in my opinion, look a lot nicer than the traditional black metal versions seen on most other makers.
Old June 17, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
bigfatdave

Are you going to actually use the "tuck" feature regularly?
I don't, but I find the CrossBreed basic steel clips superior to pretty much everything else, and throw a few extras in when I order anything from CB.

I've replaced my Garrett style bent-kydex clips with CBST clips, actually. The Garrett clips kept hanging up on stuff and would never sit flat.

Really, stop reading this and write your legislators, at all levels
Old June 17, 2014, 09:01 PM   #4
LeftyTSGC

Yes I do have to dress with shirt tucked in a lot. I keep hearing some say that the metal clips standout more at the bottom due to the lip. Where the Kydex wrap around? Also what about durability, affects on leather and color availability? I am looking to get one black set and one brown set to match the belts
Old June 17, 2014, 10:36 PM   #5
F-111 John

I prefer leather loops to the metal clips. I was always snagging my hand on the metal clip whenever I accessed my front pocket.

My Old Faithful IWB with leather loops:

(Alien Gear and Old Faithful just merged, so I'd go with Alien Gear.)
Old June 18, 2014, 10:12 AM   #6
JTQ

Quote:
I am not just looking for which is stronger, but which one functions better and which one looks better and is not as obvious? Any thoughts.
Functions better, I'm with F-111 John, leather loops work much better, for me at least.

If I just had to have a clip, I'd get something that puts the weight on the top of the belt and hooks under the bottom of the belt, like the standard clips from Comp-Tac

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=81

I wouldn't pick any of these styles, but these are the less obvious options,

C-Clips http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=79

V-Clips (you'll need velcro on your belt) http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=78

J-Hook http://www.giholsters.com/j-hook/
Old June 18, 2014, 12:01 PM   #7
hardluk1

I use comp-tacs C clips now for 6 years but also there minotaur neutral holster. The clips offer more adjustment range than many , they do hold up to stupidity and don't show much if your a tucked in shirt kind of guy.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:36 PM   #8
herrwalther

I prefer clips that go over the belt so the weight of the firearm is much better supported. Black clips on a black belt help the holster disappear better under an untucked shirt, for me. I am considering using Velcro strips on the inside of my dress belt with corresponding Velcro on the holster for business dress/tucked in shirt carry.
Old June 24, 2014, 09:00 AM   #9
340PD

How well your clips perform is proportional to the quality of the belt you are wearing. Get a couple of quality belts and you will find most any clips will do the job.
Old June 29, 2014, 05:28 PM   #10
hardluk1

Hey Lefty There ain't no best, they all work for some of use our they would be out of business . Its more about what YOU can deal with. Most of us have bought a number of holsters thru the years only to pass them on to others or throw in a box . Some that others like many may hate. I first IWB I bought because many loved it , I HATED IT.

I still have my first one for a different handgun now 28 years old ago buy its sat now for 7 years.
It even depends on what you are CC'n as to how well it hides and where you can carry it. May be a 3 speed type holster is best if your a tucked shirt guy 16 hours a day. Maybe a 3" or 3 1/2" single stack is best too. You did not mention what your handgun is ether. Hard to guess what could work well.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:45 PM   #11
LeftyTSGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Hey Lefty There ain't no best, they all work for some of use our they would be out of business . Its more about what YOU can deal with. Most of us have bought a number of holsters thru the years only to pass them on to others or throw in a box . Some that others like many may hate. I first IWB I bought because many loved it , I HATED IT.

I still have my first one for a different handgun now 28 years old ago buy its sat now for 7 years.
It even depends on what you are CC'n as to how well it hides and where you can carry it. May be a 3 speed type holster is best if your a tucked shirt guy 16 hours a day. Maybe a 3" or 3 1/2" single stack is best too. You did not mention what your handgun is ether. Hard to guess what could work well.
hardluk1, I am carrying a SCCY CPX 2, I have a OWB that I am using for now. I have just heard so much about different clips that I got unsure on what I needed. I am looking at getting the Aliengear holster and I will be needing one Black and one Brown set of clips or leather loops. So many decisions.
Old July 7, 2014, 06:40 AM   #12
Mr.510

I never tuck my shirt so that's not a factor for me. I've tried five or six different styles of belt clips and loops from various manufacturer's on my MTAC but settled on Comp-Tac's C clips a couple years ago and they've been great. The standard style clips tend to end up bowed out at the bottom over time and don't reliably grab the belt anymore. I notice people wearing standard Cross Breed belt clips with tucked shirts on a regular basis out in public, if that tells you anything about how badly they stand out.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:46 AM   #13
Vodoun da Vinci

I like the fat wide clip High Noon uses on their holsters....I have a Hidden Ally from them that is tuckable and thought the wide clip a dead give away with dress pants and the clip showing over my belt. I dressed with it and asked wore it 'round the house for a couple days.

My Wife was skeptical that I could hide a big fat Beretta Px4 SC with shirt tucked in and that holster/clip and when I told her I'd been wearing it around for 3 days she looked and shrugged. She couldn't see it..apparently most folks do not recognize the clip and usually don't stare at folks midsections or question stuff like that.

Anyway....I like those wide metal clips.

VooDoo
Beretta Px4 9mm subcompact, Glock 26 Gen4, Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 Magnum, Ruger LCR .38 Special +P, Colt 1903 Model M .32ACP, Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum, Ruger Bearcat .22, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, Colt Officers ACP .45, Glock 42
Old July 22, 2014, 04:55 AM   #14
1911 guy

I ordered an Alien Gear holster and got the optional belt loops with it. I am impressed enough with the function of the clips that i suspect i may have wasted my eight bucks buying the leather loops.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.