Quantcast
I've come to a conclusion....... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 20, 2014, 08:11 AM   #1
SC_Dave

I've come to a conclusion.......

After hundreds of dollars spent, maybe close to a 1000.00 I have come to the conclusion that their is no comfortable AIWB holster for fat guys. I guess someone will tell me to loose weight and I'm trying, I really am. But, at 59 it not that easy anymore. I'm 6'2 at 350. I have tried carrying at 3,4 and 5 o'clock, no good for me. I like appendix carry. I have tried so many holsters I'd have to pour them out of the box I keep them in to list them here. I believe I am looking for something that does not exist. Options and opinions welcome.
David

Last edited by SC_Dave; June 20, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old June 20, 2014, 09:55 AM   #2
JTQ

I think you're probably right, a guy with your dimensions may not be able to carry AIWB. Likewise, a slim guy, may not be able to AIWB a 5" barreled gun, if he is short. These are probably physical limitations that may not be able to be overcome.

On the other hand, while you may not prefer, or find them particularly comfortable, I'm sure there are other clock positions or carry positions that would work.
Old June 20, 2014, 10:07 AM   #3
The Bushmaster

A slightly uncomfortable IWB holster will keep reminding you that you
ARE carrying. I figured that real early in the prosess.

I carry a Mod 19 S&W 2 1/2" AIWB quite comfortably. I realize I'm not your size. I'm 5' 7" and 155 lbs and mostly carry a Kimber UCC II in .45 ACP at 4:30 IWB.

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...

Last edited by The Bushmaster; June 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old June 20, 2014, 01:01 PM   #4
weblance

Im 6', 340. I hate wearing belts. I have no butt, so keeping my pants up IS a problem. Ive been carrying for 3 years now, and tried several ideas. I finally gave up on a larger pistol and bought a Kel-Tec P32. I pocket carry the .32, and use suspenders to keep my pants up. I dont like the look of suspenders, so I wear them under my shirt.

Its not ideal. I dont want to ever get into a gunfight with just the .32, but Im not comfortable with anything else.
Old June 20, 2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Old Dog

Funny, just yesterday I was thinking of starting a thread titled about appendix IWB carry stating emphatically that I just can't do it ...

I'm not fat, just a middle-aged dude who cannot get used to having a muzzle pointed at my groin, femoral artery or digging into me when I sit down. I've tried AIWB with loose pants, tight(er) pants, higher-waisted pants, trendy pants that ride low, etc. Nothing works for me with regard to this carry mode. I've tried 3" to 4" barreled autos, no joy.

Also, years of drawing from my side or slightly behind my hip have made a draw from appendix carry feel awkward as hell for me.

I'm sticking with IWB of a normal-size (4" - 5" barrel) handgun at 3:30 - 4:00 and OWB carry.
Old June 20, 2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Elm Creek Smith

I can't AIWB carry either - too much scar tissue from operations. In fact, I don't really like any IWB carry. I'm just over 5'8" and just under 200 lbs and dropping. I open carry using retention holsters or pocket carry my leetle revolvers.
Old June 21, 2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Hossfly72

I was 315lbs and now I'm down to 225 (with lots of beefy muscles now too! .
I'm facing just the opposite problem. I find it difficult to dress in a way that allows me to carry IWB without my fashion screaming, "GUN!!!!" Or feeling that I look like a cheap Magnum P.I. knockoff. I can carry my P-11 if I have an older T-shirt on but for anything that doesn't embarrass my wife to be seen in public with me, I'm SOL. On the bright side, I have noticed that the zombie apocalypse is actually here and most people are too absorbed in Honey Boo Boo or their iPhone to actually notice anything. They're in their own little world and you could walk naked down the street carrying a desert eagle in between your butt cheeks before they'll freak out.
Old June 21, 2014, 04:16 PM   #8
bainter1212

I only have a moderate gut (5'9" 190) and I can't carry AIWB at all. The gun pushes into my gut (or privates).
I carry comfortably IWB at 3 o'clock. I wear suspenders under my shirt because my butt is disappearing fast. Keeps everything in place.
Old June 24, 2014, 12:46 PM   #9
tmoore912

5'11" 215# I carry AIWB with a HK P30. I use a gun belt and spare mag in khakis, jeans or shorts.
Old June 24, 2014, 06:06 PM   #10
hardluk1

Sent ya a PM
Old June 24, 2014, 06:31 PM   #11
Arkansas Paul

I've given up on IWB carry. I'm a big guy too. 5'8" and 240 pounds. I need to get my butt in gear and drop 60 pounds but until then carrying is an issue.
Old June 24, 2014, 08:18 PM   #12
BSA1

How about a belly band holster?

In summer wear a Hawaiian style shirt untucked. In winter under a sweatshirt or hoodie.
Old June 24, 2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Schwing

^^^
I strongly agree. I am 5' 10" and 250. These and pocket carry are my standard methods after years of discomfort.
Old June 24, 2014, 09:50 PM   #14
huntsman

Quote:
I believe I am looking for something that does not exist. Options and opinions welcome.
pocket carry gun.

"Tis better to miss with style,than to hit with bad form"-Colonel Peter Hawker
Old June 24, 2014, 10:08 PM   #15
BCRider

I've got no help for you but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72
....On the bright side, I have noticed that the zombie apocalypse is actually here and most people are too absorbed in Honey Boo Boo or their iPhone to actually notice anything. They're in their own little world and you could walk naked down the street carrying a desert eagle in between your butt cheeks before they'll freak out.
... made me laugh until my eyes watered and it took me 3 or 4 minutes to calm down so I could type this.... Thanks Hossfly!

The sad thing is that it's just about so true......
Old June 25, 2014, 07:24 AM   #16
rs7

I'm in a different boat. 5'8", 145. I love 1911's, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to carry one concealed. I guess a .380 or .38 will have to do until I can get to the tank in the parking lot.
P.S. 92 degrees, 92% humidity today. No jacket required.
Old June 25, 2014, 07:34 AM   #17
SleazyRider

I chuckle when I hear IWB-carrying folks advise to wear pants two sizes larger than you need to accommodate a weapon. Have you ever worn pants two sizes bigger than your waist? They look like clown-pants; might as well get bigger shoes to match!

OP, it's beyond the purview of THR to comment on matters of health; but weight issues are far more serious than that of concealed carry, and if you'd like to discuss that in a PM, feel free.

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden
Old June 25, 2014, 10:53 AM   #18
hardluk1

Oh so true.

Paul may be a 9mm or 40 cal kahr CW series. Use the same 1911 holsters you may have now. Light, thin with the same natural feel as the 1911 just a smooth long trigger pull . Hides well too. The smaller cm9 or 40 can be a pocket pistol. All with the same feel. I would say the 45 kahrs but there a little wider and does not fit 1911 holsters but the mags can work, some with a little trimming, some with out. Nice carry pistols any how.
Old June 25, 2014, 02:04 PM   #19
DNS

Got some dunlap too. I carry an LCR OWB with an untucked collared shirt, sometimes a tucked tee underneath. Most times i forget i'm carrying.

IWB and pocket carry ain't happening since I'm not about to buy all new pants.
Old June 26, 2014, 06:43 PM   #20
Arizona_Mike

I used to be heavy and AIWB was very uncomfortable, especially in a car.

Mike

PS. Tried low fat and exercise for years. Low carb worked.
Old June 26, 2014, 11:50 PM   #21
Red Cent

Made for an older 2" Colt. Prototype recently made. Purchaser super satisfied. Gearing up.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps11439a5c.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...psc088374a.jpg
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze. SASS #29170L
Strangers are friends ready to happen.
Old June 27, 2014, 07:31 AM   #22
4v50 Gary

Shoulder holster. It's slower, but there's no more pinching at the waist.
Old June 28, 2014, 08:54 AM   #23
Hossfly72

Glad ya got a chuckle BCRider! I figure if I can make somebody laugh out loud or even pee a little bit, it's been a good day. I'm off to the Pensacola gun show today specifically in search of IWB holsters. The best I've found so far is by a fella at www.deadeyeluke.com. I carry a P-11 in what he calls a P-Chip holster.
It's small, light, secure, and virtually disappears under a t-shirt. My biggest problem now though is that I wear tighter fitting workout type shirts. I'm thinking about looking at a compression shirt with built in shoulder holster/pocket things. I think they're called Thunder Shirts.. Or that could be the thing we put on the dog when neighbors shoot fireworks? Hell, may try that also. He seems to like it.
My ideal holster is one piece of kydex, folded origami style (like the P-Chip) with a 10-15 degree forward cant. I'm left to getting it custom made because most holster makers haven't discovered Witness pistols and I'm a Witness fanboy.
Old June 28, 2014, 09:32 AM   #24
JTQ

Quote:
Hossfly72 wrote,
I'm off to the Pensacola gun show today specifically in search of IWB holsters. The best I've found so far is by a fella at www.deadeyeluke.com. I carry a P-11 in what he calls a P-Chip holster.

My ideal holster is one piece of kydex, folded origami style (like the P-Chip) with a 10-15 degree forward cant. I'm left to getting it custom made because most holster makers haven't discovered Witness pistols and I'm a Witness fanboy.
You may want to make a short trip to Daphne, Al, to see Alabama Holster.

http://www.alabamaholster.com

I haven't seen their work in person, but I have seen Deadeye Luke's stuff. Deadeye Luke's stuff is serviceable, but crude.

Last edited by JTQ; June 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 28, 2014, 11:44 AM   #25
Louca

I realize this is a firearms forum and not a fitness forum, but others have given so much advice regarding holsters and such I wanted to toss in some advice regarding losing weight.

First of all, you say you are trying and that is a good thing. But examine WHAT you are trying, to see if it is effective at all. A piece of advice I give to anyone trying to lose weight (especially women) is LIFT WEIGHTS. Lifting weight will help to change your metabolic rate which will burn more calories - even when you are not working out!

Lou