Quantcast
Does anyone know why the Spyderco Worker was discontinued? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 6, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1
JohnKSa

Does anyone know why the Spyderco Worker was discontinued?

I've carried one for years and have yet to find a blade style I like better for general purpose EDC type tasks. I would love to have an "updated" version with the following features:

1. Option to install the clip so the knife carries hinge down. I get tired of washing the grit out of the hinge if I do anything messy.

2. Different handle material. The SS handle of the original worker is nearly indestructable, but something a little lighter and maybe with a little more texture would be nice.

3. A blade made from one of the new "Super Steels". The cutting/edge-holding performance of the G2 steel isn't bad, but I think that it can be improved on these days.

Does anyone know why Spyderco ditched the design and has never revisited it?
Old July 6, 2012, 08:16 AM   #2
hso

The best place to ask that question would be at the Spyderco forum, but if the model were still popular enough to make they'd be making it.

I'd suggest asking Spyderco to make an anniversary run of Workers in Ti with their current premium steel for the blade.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
JShirley
Administrator

GIN1 has been replaced by BD-1 in some of Spyderco's newest knives. In my experience, it doesn't hold an edge as long as 154CM, VG-10, and S30V, but it resharpens almost instantly.

John
Old July 6, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
hso

John,

I have to CO-1 Worker Commemorative set and I've read about a G-10 Worker in VG that was run up, any other variants out there that you know of?

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5
JShirley
Administrator

To my knowledge, there are just the 20th Anniversary and Evolutions runs. The Evolution had the original worker, plus a Zowada damascus worker. Not aware of any other Worker versions.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worker.jpg (34.3 KB, 42 views)
Old August 8, 2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Inspector Callahan

Bringing this thread back to life... With a heads up.

There's a sprint run of Spyderco Workers coming out with green G10 scales and VG10 blade steel. Limited run so don't miss out. They're gonna be pricey, but as handy as that blade shape is, I'm down for one. They've started to ship so keep an eye on your favorite knife shop.

Google "Spyderco worker" and you'll see the pics. Reversible four way clip mounting, "super" steel, and all screw construction. Just what the OP ordered!
Old August 8, 2014, 09:58 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Yep!

Better order now!

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP01...les-sprint-run

rc
Old August 8, 2014, 10:38 PM   #8
JohnKSa

YES!!!

Pre-Order placed.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by JohnKSa; August 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:55 PM   #9
CWL

And I swore to stop adding knives to my collection for a while!

...but it does look really nice!
Old August 9, 2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Yo Mama

That's a pretty high price for vg-10 that only has 2.5 inches of sharpened blade. Unless I'm missing something, you're paying for the throwback to an older design?
Old August 9, 2014, 08:48 PM   #11
JohnKSa

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, you're paying for the throwback to an older design?
I'm paying for a design that works well for me. I looked for a long time before buying a Worker and I've been carrying it for well over a decade since my initial purchase.

I find the blade design & size is just about perfect for the things I do with a knife and I haven't been able to find anything else during the time I've been carrying it that works as well for me.

It's actually better than what I'm carrying since mine has a G2 blade, single position clip and stainless steel handle. In fact, if you look at the 3 things I complained about in my first post; all have been addressed by the new run.

It's pretty expensive, but it's what I'm used to and it's what I like. I don't mind paying that price, so I guess that's all that matters to me. Sounds like you don't feel the same--it's fortunate that there are hundreds of other knives out there with designs and prices that appeal to you.

Last edited by JohnKSa; August 9, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:02 PM   #12
rcmodel
Contributing Member

+1

I have a couple three old Spyderco's with the totally inferior AUS-8 and G-2 blades.

And I'm here to tell you they are easier to sharpen, cut better, and stay sharp longer then my newest folders made from the 'latest & greatest' Super Steels.

Sometimes you find out less is better!
After you try them all!

rc
Old August 9, 2014, 10:15 PM   #13
Madcap_Magician

You're paying a premium for the sprint run- limited production and availability.