Quantcast
Texas Highroaders - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Activism

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 4, 2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Deltaboy

Texas Highroaders

FYI The Texas Parks and Wildlife service blocks the High road on their wif fi at their lodges. Join me and contact them about this nonsense.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/busine...ck/webcomment/
Old July 4, 2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Barry the Bear

will do.
Old July 4, 2014, 01:40 PM   #3
hso

What do we want to say?

"TheHighRoad.org is a firearms interest website emphasizing civil discussion of safety and rights. As such blocking TheHighRoad.org is inconsistent with advocating safe and responsible firearms ownership and use. We formally request that TheHighRoad.org be removed from the prohibited website list.

Respectfully,

AAA B. CCC"

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 4, 2014, 11:30 PM   #4
ms6852

Just posted the reply the hso moderator gave on their website. Thanks for the heads up. This should be posted in general discussions as well, I believe it will get more attention there than on this part of the forum.
Old July 5, 2014, 02:05 PM   #5
moxie

Do you have a link to or reference for this action? I'd like to see the context.

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 5, 2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Deltaboy

Click on the link in my original post.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:43 PM   #7
moxie

The link is only to a response form. No info on the situation.

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 5, 2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Deltaboy

Sorry I miss understood. I went to a State Park Lodge and the HIGH Road and several other sites came up blocked on their wi-fi network under their weapons and violence rule. Which I find very hypocritical since they also over see hunting here in Texas.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:56 AM   #9
230RN
Contributing Member

Here's the home page:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

How does one get to see the response from there?

Can you just quote the reply for us?
Old July 6, 2014, 07:28 PM   #10
moxie

Deltaboy,

Sorry, I'd like to help but you haven't provided any info, even though you've been asked.
I need hard data to respond to.

moxie

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 7, 2014, 03:24 AM   #11
NMPOPS

Done. I'm planning on moving to Texas after the first of next year. Retirement & no state income tax but a few of their guns laws, attitudes worry me.
Old July 7, 2014, 08:52 AM   #12
moxie

NMPOPS,

Welcome to Texas. Which gun laws and attitudes worry you?

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 7, 2014, 02:47 PM   #13
hso

Much friendlier places for 2A and just as attractive for retirees.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 7, 2014, 03:02 PM   #14
moxie

Seems perfectly friendly to me from a 2A perspective! I and many of my friends concealed carry just about all the time, everywhere. Plenty of gun shops and places to shoot. Lots of hunting. Those who don't carry are all very gun friendly.

The only problem I've seen is with some of the OC demonstrators who have been making trouble for themselves and the pro gun movement in general.

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 7, 2014, 03:45 PM   #15
230RN
Contributing Member

I give up on this one.

Terry
Old July 14, 2014, 03:22 PM   #16
DeadMoneyDrew

Most likely they have installed a Web filtering service such as Barracuda or Bluecoat, which blocks gun related websites by default. A simple administrative tweak will fix this.
Old July 14, 2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Deltaboy

I got a email back and they said they would look into it.
Old July 21, 2014, 10:44 PM   #18
trauma

Done
Old July 22, 2014, 12:58 PM   #19
GEM

At work, all of a sudden - if you logged on to a gun related sight, you got a message that this was a gun site and you were being reported. The same thing happened for sites with sexual content.

This turned out to be a setting on the antivirus program used and downloaded across campus. It was changed.

It could either be a default or a zealous person protecting us from evil influences.
Old July 22, 2014, 10:50 PM   #20
Deltaboy

Texas is very gun friendly.
Old July 22, 2014, 11:18 PM   #21
Field Tester

What hard data do you want? It's a pretty straight forward situation.
What hard data are you looking for?
Old July 28, 2014, 07:58 AM   #22
NMPOPS

Welcome to Texas. Which gun laws and attitudes worry you?

Moxie,
Guess I should have been more clear. After having lived most of my life life in New Mexico and now Arizona. I have been used to my car being an extension of my home so I never worried about carrying a gun in my car. But I noticed that Texas recently improved that part of the law. Also Texas has been in the news a lot lately over "Open Carry" and while I do prefer to carry conceal, open carry is nice to have. I'm not sure if the state has Preemption laws for firearms laws but I do noice they do not for knives and that makes carrying knives a confusing mess.

Last in checking on Texas LEOSA, it seems more complicated than it needs to be. I have been carrying under LEOSA since I retired in 2006 and will now have to start all over in Texas.
Old July 28, 2014, 09:09 AM   #23
moxie

Yes, it is now perfectly legal to carry a gun in your car, concealed, without a license.

It is now perfectly legal to carry a switchblade. Preemption is dead, for now, but seriously I've not heard of it being a practical issue.

CHL fees have been reduced. Better rates for LEO, veteran, etc.

Initial CHL class is now only a half day, and NO class is required for renewals.

Inadvertent exposure of your CHL weapon is not a crime.

You can carry just about anywhere, except into schools (parking lot is OK), "bars," certain government buildings, and some that are posted properly (usually hospitals). You can even drink while carrying, but can't be impaired. Same logic as with driving. So it's legal to have a beer with lunch at a restaurant like Chili's, or Outback. So just about anywhere you go on your daily business is OK.

Basically, everyone I know is happy with the concealed carry situation here in Texas. It's easy and cheap to do. No one I know wants open carry of handguns. Most do want some sort of regulation/training/screening mechanism and the current CHL law seems to be the sweet spot for that. It simply is not an issue except for a very few.

So again, welcome to Texas.

Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 28, 2014, 09:12 AM   #24
Armor Snail

Sounds way to restrictive to me.

I'll stick to PA
Old July 28, 2014, 09:56 AM   #25
trauma

Answer from Texas Parks ans Wildlife

I want to thank you for bringing this to your attention.

We have modified our free internet IP filter and the site is now allowed without warnings.
Would you please remove or modify the post at http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=756055 to reflect the change?

Thank you.

Michael Golen (ISO) Security Analyst - 512.389.4345____________________________________________________________
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744 Toll Free: 800.792.1112 Austin: 512.389.4800