Quantcast
Compact 45 ACP shopping - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 5, 2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Grayrock

Compact 45 ACP shopping

I may need to replace my Taurus PT-145 Millenium PRO. Having parts issues with the manufacturer- but that is a different story. I need to start looking around for a replacement. The PT-145 fit my hand well, it had night sights, 10 round magazine and was light enough to carry comfortably. What are similar pistols out there that might fit those criteria? Only thing I can recall is a Glock 30. I thought the XDs was comparable, but then saw it is single stack. S&W M&P seems to be bigger. What am I missing? Is this a niche in the market that does not need filling?
Old July 5, 2014, 01:46 PM   #2
tomrkba

The Glock 30S is a great gun with a slightly more narrow slide than the standard Glock 30. However, the grip is the same width and this is what sits above the belt. I do recommend the Glock 30 because it's a great gun.

The most compact pistols on the market that hold eight or more rounds are the S&W M&P 45 Compact (8+1, with 10+1 option) and the Springfield Armory XD 45 Compact (10+1). The SIG P220R Compact holds 6+1 rounds and the Springfield Armory XDs holds 5+1. The Glock 36 holds 6+1 rounds.

The M&P 45 Compact, XD 45 Compact and SIG P220R Compact are all approximately Glock 19 size--which makes them quite concealable on the belt. The Glock 36 is also approximately the same size.

The M&P and XD 45 are more controllable than the small Glock 36, which I found to be very snappy. I have not fired the SIG P220R Compact, but I imagine it will roll under recoil like the standard P220 does.

I really tried to like the HK USP 45 Compact. The trigger was not all that great in double action mode. There are nine variants, including two that permit "cocked and locked" carry. The frontstrap checkering made the recoil feel worse than it actually was. It is a very wide gun and the magazine baseplate does not need the finger rest. Perhaps the HK 45 Compact may be better; take a look at it.

Of all the choices I listed, I'd choose the S&W M&P 45 Compact (with APEX trigger parts and Trijicon night sights). I'd carry it with an eight round magazine inserted with two spare 10 round magazines on my belt.

Open carry in a constructive way.

I do not care what your race is so long as it is "responsible gun owner".

Last edited by tomrkba; July 5, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old July 5, 2014, 01:57 PM   #3
mdThanatos

Not sure about the grip sizes but here are the lengths of some contenders that aren't really expensive. All hold at least 9 rounds.

XD compact - 7.25
XDM compact - 7 in
P250 compact - 7.2 in
Glock 30 - 6.96 in
Old July 5, 2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Sal1911A1

Sig

The Sig P250 45 compact with 9+1 is a fantastic carry gun and HD.
It offers the best DAO trigger and grip.

Glock 30 is top notch as well, just a different trigger system.
Old July 5, 2014, 02:06 PM   #5
chris in va

I'm not a fan of Glock triggers, but the G30S interests me. It can take G21 mags too.

-Aristodemus
Old July 5, 2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Grayrock

I did not see the 30S on Glock's website. And if I drop down to 8 round magazines I might as well start looking at a 1911 style also. Might be thinner to carry by a bit, but not as light.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:25 PM   #7
RustyShackelford

Guns; choices....

For a compact, Commander size .45acp, Id look at these popular models;
HK45 compact LEM(the DA only format), the SIG P250 compact, the Para USA LDA(light double action/DAO), the M&P Compact, the Glock 30S or 36, the XDs 4.0 version, the Kahr P45.
I like the XDs 4.0 design. The bi-tone style looks impressive. The LDA Para USA line looks good. It's in .45acp & 9x19mm. The firm has a lifetime service plan.

S&W is a great value too. They offer a lot of after market parts & holsters/gear. My M&P SERPA holster fit both my 9mm full size and the compact 8 shot .45acp.

Glocks are always a good choice. The 30S was R&Ded by the SIS detectives of the LAPD. They needed a 2nd gun/back up for the 21s they've used for 4/5 years. The SIS is an elite unit that tracks career felons & violent robbers.

See; www.slickguns.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunsinternational.com www.sigsauer.com .

Andre Agassi
Old July 5, 2014, 07:02 PM   #8
CNobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrock View Post
I did not see the 30S on Glock's website. And if I drop down to 8 round magazines I might as well start looking at a 1911 style also. Might be thinner to carry by a bit, but not as light.
The right holster makes all the difference.
Old July 5, 2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Grayrock

Perusing the Para-USA website and saw the Warthog. Looks like a contender!!

Last edited by Grayrock; July 5, 2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 5, 2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Mr.510

I carry an XD45 Compact daily and like it very much. It has a Springer Precision combat/carry 4 pound trigger job, Trijicon green/yellow night sights, and a Lasermax guiderod laser. I live/work swing shift and go to bed around sunrise so I like as many low light options as possible. It is more accurate than I am and has sent ~11k rounds downrange without a single hiccup. It eats anything from steel cased wadcutters to flying ashtrays, aluminum cased junk, you name it. I have not found a way to make it malfunction. It will not malfunction by limp wristing, even holding the gun loosely enough to very nearly drop it while using really weak reloads. It was a great gun stock but the trigger job turned it into a simply amazing weapon for me.
Old July 5, 2014, 09:14 PM   #11
FuzzyBunny

P12-45

small but 12 rounds of .45 goodness.
Old July 6, 2014, 01:56 PM   #12
JR24

After a long time searching for the same thing (compact, carry .45 ACP) I settled on the Glock 30S. 10+1 is solid and it is easy to conceal IWB (I find it pretty much just as easy to conceal as a Glock 19/23 or Ruger SR9c/40c).

Mine has been solid and dependable so far. Accurate as heck when I do my part. Does occasionally pinch the pinky though.
Old July 6, 2014, 03:00 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo

I just finished looking at all the compact .45's.

I ended up with a FDE S&W .45c with a thumb safety.

No regrets.
Old July 6, 2014, 03:09 PM   #14
FishEngineer

Para TAC FOUR LDA if you can tote it. I love the trigger on mine and it is draw and shoot ready with no need to carry cocked and locked. Sure is heavy loaded though....
Old July 6, 2014, 03:14 PM   #15
Big Shrek

When it comes to compact .45's, S&W has some nice stuff...
although, IMHO, their best stuff was in Gen 3...like the CS45

If I need more than 7 rounds of .45, something is VERY wrong...
but that's why ya carry 2 extra mags with you and a G20SF with 5 mags in the truck
Old July 6, 2014, 05:34 PM   #16
Rembrandt

The most compact .45 ACP offered is the Boberg. Have a 9mm Boberg that is the best CCW I've ever carried....hoping to get one in .45 one day.

http://community.bobergarms.com/?utm...gn=home%2Bpage

Old July 6, 2014, 05:38 PM   #17
Grayrock

After looking at them, The S&W 45C and the Para TAC FOUR LDA look a little too large for my purposes. That Boberg looks funky & only has a 6 round magazine.
Quote:
If I need more than 7 rounds of .45, something is VERY wrong...
I was a Boy Scout- Always Prepared. And 10 rounds is more prepared than 7. I doubt I would NEED more than 2 rounds, but I WANT 10. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Grayrock; July 6, 2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added info
Old July 6, 2014, 06:01 PM   #18
PO2Hammer

I recently bought an HK45C, just a great gun if don't mind spending the money.
The Glock 30 is a very good gun as well, and would be my choice if they only cycled SWCs.
Old July 6, 2014, 06:10 PM   #19
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO2Hammer View Post
I recently bought an HK45C, just a great gun if don't mind spending the money.
The Glock 30 is a very good gun as well, and would be my choice if they only cycled SWCs.
That HK45C also has polygonal rifling and shouldn't be used with lead bullets either, just like a Glock.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old July 6, 2014, 09:23 PM   #20
burk

I just went from a Kimber CDP Pro to a Glock 30SF. While the Glock is a bit fatter, it's lighter, holds 10+1 (I carry 13 round 21 mags for back up), it seems to shoot softer, and my groups are just as tight. For me it was cost, I love 1911's but I wanted to switch to the same platform for all my SD guns. And another 1911 would have set me back almost double what a Glock costs and that doesn't include the 4-500 round break in. I carry the 30SF in an Alien Gear IWB holster and I like the set up so far.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:50 PM   #21
Ed4032

Check out the Kahr CW45. Takes a 1911 officers mag for 7 + 1.
Old July 6, 2014, 11:04 PM   #22
PO2Hammer

Quote:
That HK45C also has polygonal rifling and shouldn't be used with lead bullets either, just like a Glock.
Yup, but I shoot plated and jacketed SWCs.
Old July 7, 2014, 12:46 AM   #23
460Kodiak

XDs for me
Friend.... "You should be 460Kodiak....... yeah"
Me........ "Great...... now I have to grow a mullet."
Old July 7, 2014, 01:27 AM   #24
jjones45

I have a hk usp 45c, but may be going to a glock 30S
Old July 7, 2014, 07:00 AM   #25
Scarpia

Pt140

Quote:
The PT-145 fit my hand well, it had night sights, 10 round magazine and was light enough to carry comfortably. What are similar pistols out there that might fit those criteria?
I was carrying the PT145 Mil Pro but it felt too bulky particularly with that stupid rail. I found the PT140 Mil Pro in 40 S&W was slightly smaller in overall length and still packed 10+1 rounds of stopping power and NO rail. The feel of the grip of the '140 is the same as the '145. I know you asked about 45 ACP but the 40 S&W isn't too far off, frankly, I'm OK with either.

If you are having problems with Taurus support and are opposed to another Taurus product, then the PT140 isn't the answer. My experience with the PT145 and PT140 is that they both go bang with every trigger pull. Both guns have chambered, fired and ejected hundreds of rounds without one glitch.

Last edited by Scarpia; July 7, 2014 at 07:09 AM.