Quantcast
Scored a really nice Security Six - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 7, 2014, 01:47 AM   #1
lowercase

Scored a really nice Security Six

Found this one at the LGS for $399. Not only did it check out okay, but it looked as if it had never been fired. Got it off layaway and took it to the range and it did just fine. The adjustable sights were right on the money.

Last edited by lowercase; July 7, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old July 7, 2014, 01:50 AM   #2
horsemen61

Nice
Old July 7, 2014, 02:39 AM   #3
heycods

I have had mine sinse 70s, great gun, nope not for sale
Old July 7, 2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Waveski

Very nice. At that price I would not have hesitated. Anyone know how the trigger of the Ruger compares to a K frame Smith?
Old July 7, 2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Lucky Derby

Congrats. Probably the best service revolver ever made.
Old July 7, 2014, 08:22 AM   #6
19-3Ben

Quote:
Anyone know how the trigger of the Ruger compares to a K frame Smith?
Comparing my Security Six to my Model 19, my Sec Six is nearly as smooth, but slightly more mechanical feeling, if that makes any sense. More clicks, and you can feel it doing stuff, where the S&W is just one smooth stroke. I really don't mind it, and it's never effected my ability to use that gun. In fact, I trust my life with that Security Six, and mounted a holster to my nightstand for the sole purpose of having the Six at the ready.
But they are both great triggers.

Could just be my example.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:05 AM   #7
moxie

That is really sweet!

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 7, 2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Bush Pilot

Nice find, that thing looks almost unfired. I've got all the barrel lengths of Security Sixes, the 4" is my favorite.
Old July 7, 2014, 10:56 AM   #9
bannockburn

Nice find and accurate too! That's a good price on a great revolver.
Old July 7, 2014, 03:03 PM   #10
ECVMatt

That is just Awesome! I scored a nice one last month as well! They are great.
Old July 7, 2014, 05:56 PM   #11
jimbo555

Great deal, beautiful condition!
Old July 7, 2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Lone Star

Nice target, but what was the range and the ammo used? Certainly, the basics of marksmanship are evident. This is what a quality revolver can do. I'm always baffled at the terrible targets that some men post on the Net. I see people on the indoor range shooting at maybe five to seven yards and doing poorly!

Re Ruger triggers, I've found recent ones to be very good. The Security-Six that I had (now replaced with a GP-100) had a little more creep on letoff than my S&W's and it did sometimes affect aim just as the sear released. I don't think any other triggers are quite as good as S&Ws, but recent Rugers come very close. Overall, I'd buy a new Ruger now. I no longer buy S&W products new and won't, due to The Lock and the matte finish on most that I've seen.

I think that Rugers hold cylinder timing better than S&W's, but am not sure. I KNOW that either holds timing far better than will pre-MK III Colts.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:09 PM   #13
Blue Brick

Nice!!!!!!
Old July 7, 2014, 07:09 PM   #14
lowercase

Lone Star

The range to the target was nothing to brag about. Only 7 yards. The ammo was Magtech 158-grain .357.

I ran by a local range after getting the gun to see how it shot, and make sure that the sights were dialed in. I've bought guns before that had the sights way off.
Old July 7, 2014, 10:38 PM   #15
Lone Star

lowercase-

Thanks for your honesty. You do certainly know what to do, and that seven yard group is all that you'd need to brain a venomous snake.
Old July 7, 2014, 10:51 PM   #16
03fatboy

Nice pistol.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:04 PM   #17
chicharrones
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
Found this one at the LGS for $399. Not only did it check out okay, but it looked as if it had never been fired. Got it off layaway and took it to the range and it did just fine. The adjustable sights were right on the money.
You. Lucky. Dog.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:37 PM   #18
Johnm1

lower case

I don't know how you could say the sites are dead on. The impacts must be at least a1/16" of an inch high. for me to reproduce those results there would be powder burns on the paper. I regret to this day letting my 6 inch security six go. I would have paid the price as well.
Old July 8, 2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Arizonan

Those type of deals and guns my friend are always good to have. Rugers "six series" were the best made for 38-357. And from the looks you have a very fine weapon. It will most likely outlast you
Old July 9, 2014, 03:14 AM   #20
Manny

I was just at a friends house and he was showing me his weapons from a well stocked safe. A 4" Ruger identical to yours was the always loaded home defense gun and out of a whole lot of nice guns, the one I would most want to take home if I could.

I almost never see a "6" series for sale, and would have jumped on it too. A fine shooter as evidenced by the target. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.
Old July 10, 2014, 02:30 AM   #21
kvtcomdo

Love those old Rugers.

Nice gun, nice shooting as well.

Enjoy you new find, great price I might add.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin
NRA Benefactor life; TSRA Life; GOA Life: CCRKBA Life: US Army 1972-80
Old July 11, 2014, 02:32 PM   #22
Legionnaire

Great deal. Love the old Rugers. I'd have been all over that, too.
Old July 11, 2014, 10:40 PM   #23
greenmtnguy

I think a 4" is on my short list too - I can only hope to find one as good of a deal as you did! Nice shooting, too!
Old July 11, 2014, 10:53 PM   #24
Confederate

The guns aren't that great to look at, as I hate the legal warning on the barrel.
Old July 12, 2014, 01:56 AM   #25
joneb

I put some Pachmayr presentation grips on my Sec. Six really helps with warm loads.