Quantcast
Scored a really nice Security Six - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 12, 2014, 08:15 AM   #26
Scarpia

My Security Six sat in my locker for 25 years unfired until last year when I decided to have some fun. These things are terrific 357's.
Old July 12, 2014, 08:21 AM   #27
19-3Ben

Quote:
The guns aren't that great to look at, as I hate the legal warning on the barrel.
So just get one from the early 70s. I think they only started the steaming the warnings on the barrels around '77 or so.
Old July 14, 2014, 03:08 AM   #28
Lucky Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
My Security Six sat in my locker for 25 years unfired until last year when I decided to have some fun. These things are terrific 357's.
That's sweet. Love those grips.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:49 AM   #29
Scarpia

The grips shown are the original Ruger "target" since removed and replaced with Packmayr's. I should have said the gun sat in the locker NEVER fired rather than 'unfired' which suggest she had been previously used. That gun along with a Rossi 68 and 88 (38 Spls) plus a Norinco 1911A1 (45ACP)were left overs from my 1980's FFL days. The Rossi 88 and Norinco 45 have since been put to use but the Rossi 68 is still a virgin 38 Spl.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:01 PM   #30
GrandmasterB

Love the original Ruger target grips. They are my favorite wood grips for the Security Six.

Old July 14, 2014, 10:12 PM   #31
Jaymo

I like Rugers
And Smiths
And Colts
And Charters
And Dan Wessons
And even some Rossis and Tauri
Old July 14, 2014, 10:21 PM   #32
skidder

Very nice lowercase

The Sixes and the model 66 Smith are my favorite 357's
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old July 15, 2014, 01:53 AM   #33
Lucky Derby

Perfection!
It existed long before Glock did.
Old July 15, 2014, 07:44 PM   #34
Confederate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Derby View Post
Perfection! It existed long before Glock did.
Yes it did! And the RUGER can eat 30,000+ rounds of magnum rounds with no parts replacements. Yet the GLOCK can begin to malfunction if one doesn't replace the recoil springs after 2,500 rounds! People have really been taken with all of the Glock's slick ads. They also put them in their survival kits thinking they're these robust post-apocalyptic wonders when, in fact, if they'd think about their basic striker-fired design, they'd realize they're just overbuilt Ravens or Jennings J-22s! Everything about them is springs.

The Security-Six is an incredible piece and its springs will go the life of the gun without needing replacements. I like mine better than the GP-100s, because Ruger, to cut the weight of the gun, reduced its grip to a stub and added weight to the barrel. And while it looks slick, anyone picking one up will notice that Ruger has shifted the balance of the gun so that it's front heavy. New muscles have to be developed just to hold it. The strength, beauty and balance of the Security-Six is much more in keeping with Ruger's original design.

Old July 15, 2014, 08:01 PM   #35
george d dennis

Thankyou for those nice pictures. I had a security six years ago, Wish i still had it.
Maybe one of these days i will get another.
Old July 15, 2014, 09:42 PM   #36
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
The first ever pistol that I bought was a 4" Ruger Security-Six in 1973 ...

... I still really like the look of them.

Yours looks especially nice, lowercase, congratulations on the great Find!
Old July 16, 2014, 02:13 AM   #37
skidder

Well written Confederate!

And thanks for the great pictures.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old July 16, 2014, 06:32 PM   #38
Confederate

Thanks, Skidder. The Ruger Security-Six was my first handgun and, at the time, I was very skittish about the name. Sounded too much like "Luger." But the gun dealer soon vanquished my concerns. After I bought a Security-Six, it didnt take long to discover that, as a young college student, I couldn't afford shooting it. So I got a Ruger Standard Auto. From then on I've been a committed Ruger man...well, at least until the GP-100. I'd have to opt for a Smith & Wesson 686.

Old July 16, 2014, 08:41 PM   #39
Deltaboy

Good find and a great gun.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:21 PM   #40
skidder

I like my GP, but the k-frame size of the 66 and Security Six are hard to beat. And because of their convenient size and balance they usually get to ride shotgun.