Quantcast
Brainwashed by the Movies - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 14, 2014, 12:06 AM   #26
skypilot1941

Yeap. Had my Fanner 50. Also had the Paladin set with the derringer in the belt buckle. Get this. At the elementary school which I attended in those days, we could bring one toy with us when we got back to school after the Christmas holiday. Guess what all the guys brought? Just about every one of them wearing their Fanner 50's or Paladin set. Imagine that happening today.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:00 PM   #27
thriller

I bought a new vaquero in .357 mag this year. I always prefered the look of the 4 5/8", but when I held and pointed that and the 5 1/2", I ended up taking the 5 1/2" one home with me. Funny, because if I had not handeled both at the same time, Im sure Id have bought the 4 1/2"
Old July 14, 2014, 10:19 PM   #28
Jaymo

I prefer the look of the 5.5", though I also have a 4.62 and 4.75"
Old July 15, 2014, 10:44 PM   #29
mdauben

No doubt the 4 1/2 is handier and easier to carry but I prefer the looks of the 5 1/2 inch SAA.

Election 2014: When you vote, remember how your Congressmen and women voted on the issues important to you.
Old July 16, 2014, 01:48 AM   #30
ZVP

Some really nice Pix there!' Personally, I've always been drawn to shorter barrels just because I like the look of a shorter rvolver. Heck I even lke the "Storekeepers" versions though they were likely very hard to hit with as most Snubbies are today.
I have read of the barrels being worn out on the Military .45's and I wonder how soft the barrel steel was? Evidentlly complete rebuilds were cost effective for the military.
I'm sure the aversge Cowboy shot his revolver a lot less than did the average Calverymen did. Both in battle and during prtice, they used them a lot.
I am sure todays barrel steel is much better. and will last longer.
A good point of the shorter Leather neded ws brought up! I have cut a couple holsters down to fit shorter guns and it's no easy proposition! You must first roughthe cut out then do the final shapeing to make it look correct. I have come up with arounded cut, on a slight angle that seems to look pretty good for a Kitvhen Table job! You don't want the end of the barrel exposed nor do you want the leather to "fold" closed on an open holster bottom.
I got lucky the first cut nd found the right length by dumb luck.
Holster alteration is an real art believe me!
ZVP
Old July 16, 2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Greg528iT

James Garner in the "Support your Local....." twin set of movies carries a 5.5" SAA and operates it quite effectively.

not today's trigger control, but hey.

Walter Brennan (sic) also had a 5.5"

Old July 16, 2014, 09:41 AM   #32
Greg528iT

I'd think it safe to say, folks like Walter Brennan had is own SAAs for the movies.. and YES, holding the hammer with the web of your hand would make it impossible to fire, but I think Walter KNEW that, knew what position he and James Garner was in and was making dam sure even his empty gun was as safe as possible.
Old July 16, 2014, 10:11 AM   #33
Jim Watson

When I tooled up for CAS, I traded an obscure automatic for a 7.5" .44 Special. That did well, but I wanted the cool civilian/gunfighter look, so I had a 4.75" put on, along with a .44 WCF cylinder so I could shoot the same ammo as my rifle. I shot that for about one season and then had the 7.5" put back on so I could HIT stuff. The longer sight radius really does make a difference. For me, at least.
When SASS went from three to four guns, I added a 7.5" .44 WCF clone.

If I were to resume CAS, I would probably shoot 5.5" .38 Specials. I already know the 4.75" sight radius is short and a smallbore 7.5" is so darned heavy.
Old July 16, 2014, 12:25 PM   #34
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitBoy View Post
Thys why I always liked Clint Eastwood movies, more realism with firearms.

Yes! Most other westerns would have Josey toting around a brace Colt SAA's or Remington 1875s even though the story takes place directly after the Civil War! I always dig it when I see percussion revolvers in movies during the Civil War or shortly before/after before cartridge guns were common.