Quantcast
ar15 scope mount - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 8, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1
trigga

ar15 scope mount

finally my 300 blackout build is complete, well i have it roughly assembled. i already have a set of optics lying around. it's a cheap bushnell banner scope that'll do for now. it's a free scope so wth. (until i can get enough for the p300)

I have optic rings but want something more solid like a one piece. something like this. I was leaning more towards the primary arms mount. the reviews are pretty good and won't cost a fortune. or if midway has another good deal on a Midwest industry mount. i'm trying to keep it cheap if possible. not going to battle with it or anything, just hunting if it all works out. any suggestions? thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/TMS-Offset-Pie...15+scope+mount
http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Scope-M...15+scope+mount
http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-D...15+scope+mount
Bushmaster AR15 - .223/5.56
Romanian WASR-10 - 7.62x39
Old July 8, 2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Walkalong

Of those choices, I would go with the Primary Arms mount.

Here are a couple more choices. I have both and they work well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/815...op-ar-15-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373...ProductFinding

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old July 8, 2014, 10:56 PM   #3
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

The primary arms rings are ok, I would stay away from the AIM sports ones. Then there is always the Burris PEPR mount, very nice. You can get permanent or quick disconnect. I use the Burris ones and really like them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154...ProductFinding
Old July 8, 2014, 10:57 PM   #4
wally

For the price I really like the UTG quick detach rings:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/418...s-matte-medium

~$25

They have 1" rings as well in the same style.

The one-piece setups really constrain your scope choices and mounting options.
Old July 8, 2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts
Moderator Emeritus

I've always liked the Burris PEPR mount for a good, affordable AR mount. It moves the scope forward (since I like to shoot nose-to-charging-handle) and it offers a good return to zero.
Old July 9, 2014, 12:47 AM   #6
herrwalther

I have some AIM scopes and rails lying around, got them for free and were still to expensive.
Old July 9, 2014, 02:42 AM   #7
2ndtimer

Another vote for the Burris PEPR mount. Just ordered 2 of them in 30mm to mount new Vortex Viper scopes on the new Stag Model 6 Super Varminters. Very nice mount and not too expensive for the quality.
Old July 9, 2014, 05:45 AM   #8
Ks5shooter

Save up get the LaRue

Pricey but its a rock solid mount,no regrets.You buy once, buy well.
Old July 9, 2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts
Moderator Emeritus

I've got 5 or 6 Larue mounts, including two on the same rifle. If you can swing it, they are the way to go. Having said that, the Burris PEPR mount holds zero and will return to zero close enough that few shooters will be able to notice the difference (especially if you use witness marks to help).

Considering that the scope he wants to save up for is a $170 scope. I don't think there is much point in putting it in a $220 Larue mount.
Old July 9, 2014, 08:47 AM   #10
ID-shooting

I use the Nikon P-series mount with a P223 on my AR. Nice light weight, wasn't terribly expensive and returns to zero when I switch back an forth with M4 sights. Holds the scope high enough to get a comfortable sight picture. The only draw I have is that you have to remove the charging handle/BCG to take it on/off. Not a quick change but still very solid and works rather well.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Steve S.

I have an American Defense mount on my Wilson Combat Recon; well machined, solid mounting, quick detach and looks good - comparable to the LaRue.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
trigga

how about the ar stoner mount? i like the classic flat look of it much like the larue. i usually would invest in something nicer except for this gun will mainly be used for hunting and the distances within 100 yards. if anything it won't be shot at all except for hunting season.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222...op-ar-15-matte
Old July 9, 2014, 11:48 PM   #13
saitek

i like the cantilever high rise mount from rockriver
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385
Old July 10, 2014, 10:20 AM   #14
henschman

I have the Primary Arms Extended mount. I have used it for the past couple years on several rifles that see fairly rough use (including a couple .308s), and it has held up great. The only issue is it sits a bit higher than the line of sight for the irons, so it compromises cheek weld... but for whatever reason it appears that just about every AR mount I can find is the same way. I needed the Extended mount to get proper eye relief shooting nose to charging handle... I tried a Burris PEPR, and in addition to being much heavier, it didn't put the optic far enough forward for me.
Than live as slaves to you”
-- Lemuel Haynes, 1775

III
Old July 10, 2014, 03:03 PM   #15
greyling22

I have that tms mount and the stoner mount. Both have worked great for me. I like the design of the stoner mount better. I looks just like something warne would make. (They probably do, but I can't back that up) tms and primary arms are most assuredly coming out of the same factory in China. My only complaint about stoner is is that it is a little shorter. .85 to bottom instead of 1"

Nikon makes a pretty tempting mount, but if I had the 85,bucks, I would get the aero precision lightweight mount. I've handled it, and it looks really nice.
Old July 13, 2014, 10:41 PM   #16
trigga

i went with the ar stoner one. seems a solid mount. didn't really need it to be removable because it will most likely remain a hunting rifle.