Quantcast
Re: New Sig 224 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 9, 2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Shipwreck

Re: New Sig 224

Just came in today, and I had time to pick it up

My new Sig 224.

It has 12 + 1 rounds of 9mm. Once I test it, I may alternate it with my Shield as my carry gun. I like DA/SA much more. The Shield is fantastic - but my only complaint is that it isn't DA/SA.

The nickel finish should really resist rust. Only think I must do is order a set of nickel grip screws - as the grip screw is stainless on it....

Old July 9, 2014, 09:05 PM   #2

I like SIG pistols, I own six, but 29oz unloaded for a CC pistol .... no thanks! That's 6oz heavier than the 9mm XD-S. Now add 12 rounds of 9mm.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Shipwreck

It is a bit heavier, but I am fine. I used to concea carry a fullsize Beretta 92FS for 3 years...

It's basically a cut down 229.

I went ahead and ordered 2 nickel plated 228/229 grip screws - you would think they would have included plated screws to match the gun. The screws were like $2.99 each. Figures that Brownells shipping is $7.99...

It fits fine in my smart carry - which is what I use in the summer when I wear shorts all summer long. Comfortable too. It is 1/2 a pound heavier than the Shield. The Shield is only like 20 oz with an empty mag.

It will only pocket carry in 1 of my 2 pairs of cargo pants, as the external hammer makes it take too long to clear the pocket. So, I can do that with 1 pair. Otherwise, in the winter, it will be IWB with the Smart Carry. I may eventually get a holster with a sweat shield if I carry it that way enough.

Somone else asked me to take pics comparing it to the Shield:

Old July 10, 2014, 08:57 AM   #4
bannockburn

Shipwreck

How does the abbreviated grip feel on the P224, especially in comparison to the Shield? Love the Shield and my PM9; just wondering if the P224 isn't a bit too small for someone like myself with small hands.
Old July 10, 2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Shipwreck

My hands just barely fit on the grip of the 224 - with the thicker magplate they have on the 12 round mags.

I haven't shot it yet - but it feels fine in my hands. Obviously, it's thicker in the grip. But, the SIg 224 is a little longer than say - a Glock 26 grip.

You just needa hold one and see how it feels.
Old July 10, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6
Confederate

My father owned one of these guns, the bigger ones...but it was the .45acp full sized version. I never much liked it, not because it wasn't accurate or because it wasn't reliable. It just feels to me like a clunker. The trigger is hard, and the hammer drop has a tendency to catch the fleshy part of my thumb if I'm not careful. On the plus side, it does have a hammer and the functioning of the gun once the shooting starts is flawless. And though I'd prefer a 9mm, myself, it's nice to have a variety. So when my dad passed, I kept the Sig. But I greatly prefer my Smith & Wesson 645 and even my 457.

For the price, I prefer something else, but the gun works and it's accurate.
Old July 10, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Shipwreck

The Sig 45 fullsize (220 model) is not the same as this gun. I have several other Sigs, and they all run 100%. Obviously, I like them or would not keep buying them.
Old July 11, 2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Tommygunn

Nice looking gun Shipwreck! Is this a new Sig model or is it simply new to you?
I don't recall seeing this gun anywhere.
Old July 11, 2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunn View Post
Nice looking gun Shipwreck! Is this a new Sig model or is it simply new to you?
I don't recall seeing this gun anywhere.
This is Sig's new subcompact offering. Not many out there yet.
We’ve lost engine #1... and engine #2 is no longer on fire!
Old July 11, 2014, 11:17 PM   #10
Shipwreck

I think it has been out a year maybe. But, this is a new gun for me
Old July 12, 2014, 07:19 AM   #11
wheelyfun66

I'll be posted here to see how it functions, once you report back.

Long time Sig lover here, but haven't yet seen a 224 in person.

Love to get the SAS model in 9mm
Old July 12, 2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Sergei Mosin

You are well on your way to a Wheel of SIG.
Old July 12, 2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Shipwreck

Quote:
You are well on your way to a Wheel of SIG.
Sho nuff
Old July 12, 2014, 08:42 AM   #14
Shipwreck

Quote:
I'll be posted here to see how it functions, once you report back.
I am hoping to go try it tomorrow, finally
Old July 12, 2014, 12:45 PM   #15
Hometeached1

Very nice looking SIG.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.

Machinist, keeping the world running.
Old July 13, 2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Shipwreck

Ok - I went and put some rounds thru it. I had 150 rounds of FMJ, and I put 30 rounds of JHP - 3 different kinds. Gun shot the best with 124gr Hydrashok - which is what I use in most guns. So, that will be my carry load. Gun shot fine with 147gr WWB JHP - but, I don't like to use those for as carry rounds. The critical Defense didn't match up with my point of aim - so, I won't use that....

Anyway - first 2 shots out of the gun were dead center in the bullseye. I like that it uses the sight picture where you cover the target with the front sight. Some of my other Sigs use a 6 o'clock hold.

I can just barely fit my entire hand on the grip - and even with the recoil, my pinky doesn't come off. So, that's great. I did a lot of shooting at 7 yards, and some DA only shooting at 5 yards - both 1 and two handed. The DA pull is rather heavy - I shoot a little low with it when I shot 2 complete mags in DA for each and every shot. But, it's not bad.

At 15 yards - I can hit the paper (I use photo copied targets on a normal 8x11 size sheet of paper). But, it is harder to shoot that distance with a smaller gun. I have the same issue with my Shield. With the 226 and M11A1 I have - shooting at 15 yards is much easier. But, it is a 3.5" barrel with a short sight picture.

I shot 145 rounds of FMJ thru it instead of 150, as I put 5 rounds thru my Shield to compare it. Truthfully, I do prefer the grip of the Shield. I also have a piece of rubber around the grip on the Shield, and I have 2500 rounds thru it in 2 years. So, I have a lot of practice with it. But, I do like the Sig 224 - and, I will be switching between the 2 guns as my carry gun.

My Shield doesn't have night sights - so, I love that about the 224. I also have over 50% more ammo in the 224.

I do have one complaint about the 224 - but the problem eventually went away after a while.... For about the first 100 rounds... I got hit in the head with EVERY ejected case. Either 1 or 2 handed shooting - it didn't matter. Each and every time.... I got 1 small burn, when a case got held up in the arm of my glasses. However - THANKFULLY - after around 100 rounds, the cases started going over my head instead of hitting me.

I've seen this with a lot of polymer guns until the recoil spring breaks in - in the past. Thankfully, it went away. I was gonna give it two trips to the range, and then call Sig. But, problem solved.

Recoil isn't bad on the gun. It's very nice! I like the gun.

IT is strange how certain guns shoot more POA/POI on various JHP. My Sig 224 loves Gold Dot. My M11A1 shot more accurately with Hydrashock. And, I will be using Hydrashok in this 224 (I am out of Gold dots except for what is in the 226).
Old July 13, 2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Shipwreck

Sold the Sig Pro - but still have 3

Old July 14, 2014, 01:33 AM   #18
Sergei Mosin

So is that your new...wait for it...SIG line?
Old July 14, 2014, 07:25 AM   #19
Shipwreck

Sho nuff :P
Old July 14, 2014, 08:10 AM   #20
bannockburn

Shipwreck

Thanks for the range report. Will have to check one at at the LGS just to see if it's a good fit to my hand.