Quantcast
Will ruger come out with a 3 inch lcr - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 9, 2014, 11:51 PM   #1
mountain_man

Will ruger come out with a 3 inch lcr

Does anyone think that ruger would ever make a 3 inch lcr? I would love to have one and honestly if they made one I would be on it like a chicken on a junebug. Who else wants to see one?
Old July 9, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2
SPW1

I doubt it since it is a DAO design.
Old July 10, 2014, 01:15 AM   #3
ArchAngelCD

I doubt Ruger will do that. That revolver is meant for the "pocket" niche and a 3" barrel doesn't do pockets well.
Old July 10, 2014, 01:17 AM   #4
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPW1 View Post
I doubt it since it is a DAO design.

They make a DA/SA LCR.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...rd_38sp_+p_187

Last edited by ljnowell; July 10, 2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: add link
Old July 10, 2014, 01:31 AM   #5
ArchAngelCD

I just can't take a liking to that revolver, it's ugly IMO.
The S&W Bodyguard 38 isn't much better but it's not quite as ugly. (and it has a laser)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...5rd_38sp_+p_19

I take it back, they are both butt ugly!!! LOL
Old July 10, 2014, 08:13 AM   #6
mavracer

I have absolutly no interest in one. My LCR is a pocket gun if I carry IWB I'd just as soon have my 3" SP101 as the added weight isn't noticed in a belt holster and a blessing when shooting.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:23 AM   #7
GP100man

Grant you , the LCR is`nt the purdyest in the bunch , but for a pocket revolver it fits the bill !!

3" will never happen , as stated 3" does`nt do pockets well.

I was surprised when they put a spur on the hammer & made it SA , simply put : If I have it in my pocket & NEED it I don`t wanna be worried with a hammer or trying to cock it while drawing !

But the option of DA/SA is nice to have . BUT remember folks practice is essential , but the LCR or any snubbie revolver is NOT a fun range gun.

GP100man
Old July 10, 2014, 08:30 AM   #8
jimbo555

The lcr22lr would be nice with a 3inch barrel.
Old July 10, 2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Sergei Mosin

Why not? S&W makes 3-inch J-frames. A 3-inch LCR would be a nice change from the overweight SP101.

I wonder if the LCR architecture will scale up to larger revolvers. Imagine, if you will, a lightweight 6-shot .38 or .357 with a 3- or 4-inch barrel.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:01 PM   #10
mountain_man

I think that you are right. I think that they have a great platform that could be expanded in numerous ways.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:14 PM   #11
tomrkba

I want to see one in 38 Special +P with 3" barrel and six round capacity. I'd really like to see one with a four inch barrel.

Open carry in a constructive way.

I do not care what your race is so long as it is "responsible gun owner".
Old July 11, 2014, 07:32 AM   #12
herkyguy

Why not? I carry mine quite a bit. It's a great little gun. If Ruger branched out, it might not fit the "pocket pistol" definition but it's still a lightweight and handy gun.

I'd consider one with 6 round capacity and a longer barrel for OWB. or even with a different IWB holster. Especially if it had a trijicon or hi-viz front sight.
Old July 11, 2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Blade First

"Why not? S&W makes 3-inch J-frames."

Well, they still make 3" revolvers in multiple calibers because they balance better than any other barrel length. The bean counters would be happy to drop the option but demand seems to be constant enough to keep it alive.

There isn't a more comfortable, totable revolver than a 3" J/K/N frame. Don't know why other major mfrs. ignore the obvious.

-Certified Armorer for AR-15/ M16/ M4 Platforms

-Factory-certified Armorer for S&W M&P Pistols
Old July 11, 2014, 09:17 PM   #14
oss117

I would buy a 3" LCR. Perhaps it could come out as a Talo edition.

Making it a six shot would give them a leg up on tha competition.
Old July 12, 2014, 08:09 AM   #15
RealGun

Quote:
but the LCR or any snubbie revolver is NOT a fun range gun.
I could agree, if referring to .357 Magnum or heavier. I think of my two little .38 Specials as fun to practice with and a greater challenge to shoot well.
Old July 12, 2014, 10:25 AM   #16
R.W.Dale

I would prefer a 4" 357 magnum myself.

I would definately buy at least one variant of a longer barreled LCR.

I would also like to see the platform scaled up to 44/45 frame sizes

ETA have the 2" 38 and LOVE IT

Ruger seriously needs an expanded lightweight revolver lineup. Carrying a SP101 or heaven forbid a GP100 is like trying to strap a small block Chevy cylinder head to your hip and walk around.

I would love for ruger to offer me a light option that fits between my 38 LCR and s&w 386xl

Last edited by R.W.Dale; July 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: because i can
Old July 12, 2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Drail

"the overweight SP 101".....? I'm still trying to stop laughing at that one. Comparing the LCR to the SP is like comparing a Yugo to a Humvee. If an SP is too heavy for you to carry then you really need to go to the gym or buy a real belt and holster. The SP is not that heavy.
Old July 12, 2014, 10:45 AM   #18
RealGun

Quote:
I would prefer a 4" 357 magnum myself.

I would definately buy at least one variant of a longer barreled LCR.

I would also like to see the platform scaled up to 44/45 frame sizes

ETA have the 2" 38 and LOVE IT

Ruger seriously needs an expanded lightweight revolver lineup. Carrying a SP101 or heaven forbid a GP100 is like trying to strap a small block Chevy cylinder head to your hip and walk around.

I would love for ruger to offer me a light option that fits between my 38 LCR and s&w 386xl
How does a desire for more barrel length and scaling up to 44/45 square with slamming an SP101 for weight? One could just dress to conceal. With a 1 3/4" gun belt and high-and-tight pancake OWB holster, the SP101 is nothing to carry. For me, that means the 3.06" barrel...one in .357 Magnum and one in .327 Federal Magnum.

I doubt a 44/45 LCR version would be much of a pocket gun.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Sergei Mosin

The SP101 isn't that heavy in absolute terms, and I've carried much heavier guns. But I think the SP101 is overweight in proportion to the capability it offers. It's inefficient. The LCR does the same thing - five shots, .357 Magnum - in a much smaller and lighter package. If I'm going to carry something as heavy and bulky as the SP101, I want more capability. Otherwise I might as well carry the LCR (and I do.)
Old July 12, 2014, 12:51 PM   #20
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drail View Post
"the overweight SP 101".....? I'm still trying to stop laughing at that one. Comparing the LCR to the SP is like comparing a Yugo to a Humvee. If an SP is too heavy for you to carry then you really need to go to the gym or buy a real belt and holster. The SP is not that heavy.

I have a 6" 7 shot 357 magnum I carry quite often

It weighs about the same as a sp101

Why slam the sp? Because it's an overweight porker for its size left over from the dark ages when you couldn't ccw and people didn't care about weight.

I really like Rugers and I like lightweight revolvers. Ruger simply doesn't make anything for me. A magnum LCR with some barrel length to it would rectify this

Last edited by R.W.Dale; July 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: because i can
Old July 12, 2014, 01:08 PM   #21
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGun View Post

WHO CARES?

Why does the LCR architecture have to stay in "pocket gun" territory?

If you would shoot an LCR you'd realize what a winner ruger has on its hands if they'd just exploit it instead of coming out with just another "limited edition" of the guns they've been making for the past 40years

Last edited by R.W.Dale; July 12, 2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: ,
Old July 12, 2014, 01:55 PM   #22
RealGun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
WHO CARES?

Quote:
Consider what you actually wrote and don't be surprised if inferences drawn hold you to it.
Old July 12, 2014, 04:04 PM   #23
gun_with_a_view

I have a gut feeling some of you guys might take to the 4-inch Ruger SP101:
http://ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html
Old July 12, 2014, 04:22 PM   #24
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_with_a_view View Post
I have a gut feeling some of you guys might take to the 4-inch Ruger SP101:

http://ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html

I've owned both the 22 and a matched 357

See my comments above.
Old July 12, 2014, 09:21 PM   #25
JLM3rd

A 5 shot .45 ACP using full moon clips, would be awesome!