Quantcast
recommend a rifle for a recoil-phile - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 10, 2014, 08:08 PM   #1
mainecoon

recommend a rifle for a recoil-phile

What caliber would you recommend for someone who likes a good punch in the shoulder when shooting? Not excessive, but as part of the experience, etc. Mostly at objects 200 yards or less away, in a bolt action.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Schwing

A 45-70 lever action does it for me. Just enough punch to make you feel manly but not so much that you have to put your shoulder back in the socket. While bolt actions do exist, I really feel that the lever is the true way to go
Old July 10, 2014, 08:38 PM   #3
gp911

Just about any milsurp. Cheap ammo, fun recoil, good enough accuracy for 200 yards, and the value goes up over time.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:49 PM   #4
LUCKYDAWG13

a 91/30 will pack a nice punch
Old July 10, 2014, 08:57 PM   #5
HOOfan_1

Ever seen that .577 Tyranasaurus video?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrImp-ek3bI

Seriously I hear the Mosin M44 gives a nice kick
Old July 10, 2014, 09:03 PM   #6
MachIVshooter

It's all subjective; everybody's tolerance is different. I don't consider my 8mm mag particularly harsh, but a lot of folks cringe at a .300 win mag that is a good 15% lower in a similar rifle. Then there are true recoil junkies who enjoy firing .458 lott or 460 weatherby (or at least they claim to).

I think on average, the most recoil people find tolerable for more than a couple of rounds is .30-06 level: 20-25 ft lbs @ about 20-22 FPS.

Tell us what your experience is, and we may be able to better help. If you find a sporting weight .30-06 with normal 165 or 180 grain loads a pussycat, you likely won't have a problem with some of the magnums. OTOH, if a .243 is the most gun you've ever fired, prolly don't want to jump right into a .338 win mag
Old July 10, 2014, 09:03 PM   #7
MistWolf

338 Winchester Magnum. More than enough recoil to let you know you've touched off a round, but not excessively so
Old July 10, 2014, 09:03 PM   #8
henschman

.30-06 in a nice light sporter type rifle like a Savage 111.
Than live as slaves to you”
-- Lemuel Haynes, 1775

III
Old July 10, 2014, 09:07 PM   #9
dogmush

.50 BMG. No really. Lots of recoil, but slow with a usually heavy rifle so it isn't harsh.

My .50 is a really fun rifle to shoot. Not cheap though.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:41 PM   #10
sappyg

A hunting weight 30-06 and a box or two of 180 grain bullets should get you there. Wear a T shirt while shooting for bonus points.

Can't really recommend anything more because that's where I draw the line personally.

I have fired a few rounds of 35 Whelen that had a good bit of thump.

A nice lever in 45-70 will get you there right quick.

Last edited by sappyg; July 10, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:53 PM   #11
kcofohio

Depends on the butt plate too. The mil-surps of Germany and Russia usually have steel plates. Those will let you know whether you're manly.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:04 PM   #12
R.W.Dale

http://www.uberti.com/1871-rolling-block-carbine

I give you the 4.5# 45/70 with a curved brass buttplate

Let us know how that works out for ya
Old July 10, 2014, 10:08 PM   #13
R.W.Dale

The worst kicking rifle I've personally shot (and I've owned 300wby and am no stranger to 375 h&h) was a 460 s&w magnum TC carbine.

Something about the recoil impulse from firing off that much fairly fast powder just made the rifle far more unmanagable than paper ballistics would imply.

The gun in question actually sheared off a scope ring!!!
Old July 10, 2014, 10:09 PM   #14
MachIVshooter

^^^^^^^

I haven't had any interest in a new firearm for a couple of years, was doing pretty good not spending so much on guns. Thanks alot.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:10 PM   #15
WestKentucky

444 marlin sticks out as a bruiser from when I was a kid. Then as others have said lightweight centerfires will typically wake a fella up. One of my personal thumpers is a 16" contender with a skeletonized homemade stock. With 300gr it's not wimpy and it's still plenty manageable and handy as can be. Your other choose is to go with a big round in a singleshot as they tend to be light. Maybe 300 win mag in a tapered handi-rifle.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Robert

My 375H&H is a ton of fun to shoot. Even with stout loads it is not over the top. Big shove, big boom and lots of fun. I have also had a good bit of fun with a friend's 470NE double rifle and 404 Jeffery bolt gun. I'd love to have the 404 if it were not a $15,000 rifle...

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old July 10, 2014, 10:17 PM   #17
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachIVshooter View Post
^^^^^^^

I haven't had any interest in a new firearm for a couple of years, was doing pretty good not spending so much on guns. Thanks alot.

Lol what are you trying to say?

I have the 357 mag version of the baby rolling block and with magnums at under 5 lbs it will actually turn my shoulder a little blue
Old July 10, 2014, 10:40 PM   #18
barnbwt

Search here on 585 Hubel. It'll be the last thing you ever shoot (I'm guessing). Cheapest solution is to buy a 30-06 and a wood rasp, and file the butt as narrow as you care to.

TCB
Old July 10, 2014, 10:42 PM   #19
ms6852

My 450 marlin in a guide gun will rattle your fillings loose.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:46 PM   #20
Ditchtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
a 91/30 will pack a nice punch
A Mosin carbine is even better, + fire balls!!!!
And I say, anyone who refuses to own a gun or learn to use a gun or allow others to own and learn to use a gun for the protection of life, is mentally ill, or unbalanced. Because they have somehow suppressed the natural survival instincts normal humans are equipped with.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:01 PM   #21
BCRider

Telling us what cartridges and in what guns you've shot so far along with your feelings on their recoil would really help a LOT. Otherwise we're all shooting in the dark.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:12 PM   #22
MachIVshooter

Quote:
Lol what are you trying to say?
That thing is now on my short list. At the top.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:39 PM   #23
jmr40

Personally not a fan anymore, but I owned a 45-70 for over 30 years. If you just like to get kicked without any much real performance it it the one you want. With milder loads it will push you around without killing you. If you're a real glutton for punishment you can load up some hot stuff. Most Marlin levers and others in 45-70 are 2-3 lbs lighter than a typical 375 or 458. The hottest loads make a 458 seem like a 30-06 when fired from such a light rifle.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:40 PM   #24
R.W.Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachIVshooter View Post
That thing is now on my short list. At the top.

I'd only use it to hand to my buddies and say "here shoot this!" (Snicker, cough)
Old July 10, 2014, 11:54 PM   #25
MachIVshooter

Quote:
I'd only use it to hand to my buddies and say "here shoot this!" (Snicker, cough)
Hahaha! Kind of an expensive way to amuse yourself and lose friends, though. lol.

I don't know that it could handle "Marlin & Ruger loads" (nor would it be much fun with them), but I'm thinkin' it'd be a blast with some moderate hardcast loads, like 400 grainers at about 1,500-1,600 FPS.