Quantcast
Finally finished with my custom Ruger MkII. Pics - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 10, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Orion8472

Finally finished with my custom Ruger MkII. Pics

The finish is a Tungsten Cerakote done by Tactical Armz out of Springfield, MO. Grips are ones I found at a gunshow. Sights are the latest and final piece of the puzzle. Williams Fire Sights.

Trigger is a Volquartsen.

Here are the pics:

Last edited by Orion8472; July 11, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:31 PM   #2
bikemutt
Contributing Member

That's the nicest looking one I've seen, what a beauty!
They were just a bunch old dead white guys but they invented this country, and they meant what they said. The Second Amendment isn't about the National Guard or the police...It is about law-abiding, private U.S. citizens. Period. - Charlton Heston
Old July 10, 2014, 08:53 PM   #3
CoalTrain49

I like it. I have one with the tapered target barrel. I shot it last summer for the first time in 15 years. I forgot how accurate they are. Clays at 50 yards don't have a prayer. More fun than should be legal. Very best 22 pistol ever built IMHO.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Orion8472

Thank you, bikemutt. I only wish I had a camera that can take better quality pics. I guess I need to update.

CoalTrain49, yeah, these things are nearly boring due to their great accuracy.
Old July 11, 2014, 07:49 AM   #5
bannockburn

Orion8472

Great looking Mk.II; especially with the Tungsten Cerakote finish. Grips look great too. Very nice total package.
Old July 11, 2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Barry the Bear

Im not a fan of any .22s period but I love tje looks of that gun!
Old July 11, 2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Orion8472

Thanks again for the comments, guys! I am quite happy with the finished piece!
Old July 11, 2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Drail

Sure hope you got a bunch of rimfire ammo. Has the trigger been tuned any?
Old July 11, 2014, 10:34 AM   #9
340PD

Beautiful job. Easily one of the nicest Rugers I have ever seen. My MK's have been shot tens of thousands of times by me and my students. Great gun.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Orion8472

Drail, it is a Volquartsen trigger, but really not sure how "tuned" it is. It really could stand to be a bit, I think. And yes, I have a fair amount of 22lr to put through it, but I really don't shoot much of it these days.

340PD, thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
Old July 11, 2014, 02:49 PM   #11
340PD

Unless you have the actual VQ trigger, not just the sear, you cannot adjust anything that I know of. The VQ trigger will allow you to adjust the pre travel and also has a trigger stop screw adjustment.
Here is a VQ trigger in a VQ lower on a MKIII 22/45.

Old July 11, 2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Orion8472

It might just be the sear then. Although I really like that trigger. . . . . . . . . . . . . . maybe my Mark II ISN'T done yet!

Update: Actually, I think I'll just keep the trigger that's in there. It's an older one, so it may still be Volquartsen, . . . just not what they have now. It pulls quite well, so I'm happy with it.

Last edited by Orion8472; July 11, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old July 11, 2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Outlaw Man
Contributing Member

Beautiful!
Old July 12, 2014, 09:11 PM   #14
show_me_2nd

Darn, now I wish I'd never sold mine. Nice pistol.
Old July 12, 2014, 10:11 PM   #15
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Very nice. I really like the color on yours. I just added those fire sights on my mkIII 22/45 lite. They are awesome aren't they? Big improvement over the factory ones.

Old July 13, 2014, 08:20 AM   #16
tuj

This is my "MKII". I put that in quotes, because the only Ruger part on the gun is the magazine. Pac-lite upper, VQ frame, VQ fire control parts, VQ bolt and extractor, VQ volthane grips, Burris FF3 RDS.

Old July 13, 2014, 10:18 AM   #17
Orion8472

Nice looking pistols, guys!
Old July 13, 2014, 10:25 AM   #18
ritepath

Nothing beats the usefulness of a good 22 pistol.

Except when you can't find 22 to feed them. I have 3 that haven't been shot in over a year. I have one or two more on my must have list I'd buy....if 22 would ever show back up in normal supply in correct prices. Overall I have 7 22's just collecting dust and a (pre scare) supply of 8-9k of ammo that I can't do anything with.
Old July 13, 2014, 11:12 AM   #19
Orion8472

I hear ya, ritepath . . . . . .and feel for ya.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:15 PM   #20
gb6491

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340PD View Post
Unless you have the actual VQ trigger, not just the sear, you cannot adjust anything that I know of. The VQ trigger will allow you to adjust the pre travel and also has a trigger stop screw adjustment.
Here is a VQ trigger in a VQ lower on a MKIII 22/45.
The factory trigger on some Mark 1/II pistols (those with adjustable sights) came with an "over travel" adjustment screw. The procedure to adjust it is cumbersome:

Text from the now defunct: http://geocities.com/felixthefish.ge...vertravel.html
"Overtravel Adjustment of the Ruger Mark II Target Model:
If your MKII came from the factory with adjustable sights, then it's a target model, and it has an overtravel adjustable trigger. Overtravel is any distance that the trigger moves after the fall of the hammer, and it is probably the most crucial aspect of trigger pull in a target gun. The reason is that you can learn to overcome a creepy trigger, or a heavy trigger, but once the hammer falls, any motion of the gun will move it from the point of aim, and no one's reflexes are fast enough to stop moving as soon as the tension on the trigger is released. The overtravel screw is a royal pain to get too, so expect to spend a couple of hours doing this. Learn how to disassemble and reassemble the gun, including taking the receiver tube off the frame. To remove the trigger, you have to take out everything but the sear and magazine release. Read these instructions several times before you start, and look at the exploded parts diagram; it will help.

MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED AND THERE IS NO AMMO ANYWHERE NEAR YOU WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!! THIS PROCESS REQUIRES DRY FIRING, SO ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!!!!

Location of the overtravel adjustment screw.

Once you have the trigger out, clean the frame in front of the trigger very well, then take a small allen wrench and unscrew the set screw on the front of the trigger 1 full turn, reassemble the gun, and see if pulling the trigger drops the hammer. If it doesn't, then unscrew it a turn at a time until it won't fire any more. You now have a negative overtravel, and we'll slowly search to find the exact threshold where the hammer falls. Once the hammer stops falling, screw the screw in 1/2 turn, assemble, and test. If it still fails to fire, screw in 1/4 turn; if it does fire, screw out 1/4 turn. Repeat the process with 1/8 and 1/16 turns, in if it fails to fire, out if it does fire (any programmers out there will recognize the binary search algorithm here . At the 1/16 turn level, the overtravel will be down to less than 1/100 of an inch. Once you get it as small as you'd like, apply a drop of LockTite or SuperGlue to keep it from moving, then try once more to make sure that it didn't back out any. Now take it out to the range and see how much better you group."

That said the Volquartsen trigger (pre and over travel adjustments) or Clark trigger (over travel only) do not require dis-assembly to make adjustments and are nice upgrades.

You can also modify the stock trigger to allow over travel adjustment without dis-assembly by drilling and tapping it for a set screw.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Regards,
Greg

BTW, nice work on that MKII Orion8472
"His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting." - Rudyard Kipling, The Cat That Walked By Himself
Old July 14, 2014, 02:27 PM   #21
Praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion8472 View Post
The finish is a Tungsten Cerakote done by Tactical Armz out of Springfield, MO. Grips are ones I found at a gunshow. Sights are the latest and final piece of the puzzle. Williams Fire Sights.

Trigger is a Volquartsen.

Here are the pics:

I like the classy look of yours over the tactical looking ones. Nice job.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:03 PM   #22
Orion8472

Thank you, Praxidike. I'm quite happy with how it came out.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:02 PM   #23
bannockburn

My "old school" Mk.II came with a blued upper and polished stainless frame and was one of a limited edition run done awhile back for one of the big distributors. The only thing I added to it were Ruger target grips. With CCI MiniMags and Wolf Match Target this gun is a real tack driver.
Old July 14, 2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Confederate

I bought a custom Ruger .22lr right out of the box. It was, actually, a Ruger with a long barrel, Clark trigger, slab sides, finger rest, Millet sights and a rubber, wrap-around grip, all standard out of the box. But it's not really a Ruger.

It's an AMT Lightning auto, based unabashedly on Ruger's proven design.

AMT didn't make a lot of these before Ruger sued them and put them out of business. Glad I got one, though. I don't know why AMT thought they could get away with it. Even so, mine's not as beautiful as the OP's!

Last edited by Confederate; July 15, 2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old July 14, 2014, 06:54 PM   #25
Orion8472

Wow, Confederate! You really cannot get much closer looking to a Ruger than that. Nice!