Quantcast
For range shooting 4" or 6" - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 10, 2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Center fire

For range shooting 4" or 6"

I was looking at the Ruger GP100 today while at the indoor range. They have both the 4" and 6" models. I am thinking about adding a 357 to my collection. Since this will be for recreational purpose only which of the two barrel lengths would you recommend? My target distances are as follows:

5 to 15 yds 15%
25 yds 50%
30 to 50 yds 25%
Beyond 50 yds 10%
Old July 10, 2014, 10:40 PM   #2
lionken07

If it's a range only gun I'd say go with the 6". I shoot a bit better with the 6 incher and you get just a bit more power
Old July 10, 2014, 10:46 PM   #3
content

I prefer my S&W 586 6" to all others in .357.
I would recommend the S&W 617 6" .22 as well....similar feel and balance, also great to start out with at the range.
Gets me warmed up and saves money because I use less .357 to get on target at longer ranges.

" Would someone PLEASE start producing .32RF"
Old July 10, 2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Paul7

6" isn't as loud either.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:05 PM   #5
murf

whichever one feels better and balances in your hand better. to me, sight radius doesn't matter much.

murf

it takes an enormous amount of time and practice to become fully-automatic - mindless repetition.

festina lente
Old July 10, 2014, 11:09 PM   #6
BCRider

It sure sounds like you're doing primarily traditional bullseye style shooting. So a 6" would be hands down the way to go. And a longer barrel would not be amiss at all.

If at some point you move towards action style shooting and competition then a 3 to 4 inch would be the way to go.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:16 PM   #7
rswartsell

I was thinking in line with the previous posts. THEN I thought, what age is the shooter? If we are talking about a range gun we don't need to be thinking about developing maximum velocity. If we are talking about aging eyes ( a "law of physics" development, not an eye disease ), then it may actually be more difficult to focus on the longer sight radius.

I am a "senior" shooter who finds that about 5" is the optimum for my current eyesight.

All shooters are at the mercy of father time. Just how old a man are you?

Benjamin Franklin
Old July 10, 2014, 11:30 PM   #8
ExMachina

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
whichever one feels better and balances in your hand better. to me, sight radius doesn't matter much.

murf
My experience would agree that balance is the most important quality in a range/target gun.

Sight radius only comes into play mostly at longer ranges (100 yards+)
Old July 11, 2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Center fire

I'm in my mid 50s. Most of my guns are autos with 5" barrels. I do have one revolver a Dan Wesson 44 with an 8" barrel. It's a beast and fun to shoot, but 100 rounds is where I stop as fatigue takes over and my shot groupings begin to suffer.
Old July 11, 2014, 03:56 AM   #10
ColtPythonElite

I have several 4" and 6" sets.....Past 25 yards or shooting very small targets, I pick the sixers every time.
Old July 11, 2014, 07:27 AM   #11
bannockburn

I had a Colt Trooper Mk.V with a 6" barrel that felt perfectly balanced to me, compared to 4" barreled Model 686 or GP100. For me not it's not so much the sight radius but more like the overall balance and handling between different guns with various barrel lengths.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:45 AM   #12
chicharrones
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center fire View Post
5 to 15 yds 15%
25 yds 50%
30 to 50 yds 25%
Beyond 50 yds 10%
With 85% of your planned shooting being 25 yards or greater, I'd usually pick the 6" GP100.

It is not a light gun and the full underlug on 6" of barrel adds to the feeling of weight due to being muzzle heavy. So, definitely hold both of them side by side to see what you prefer.

Also be sure to see if one offers a clearer view of the front sight compared to the other. Unfortunately, my eyes have gotten to the point where handgun sights aren't in focus for any barrel length so there is no advantage to a longer sight radius. I'm slowly but surely going the red dot route which means at this point in my life I'd probably pick the 4" GP100 and mount a red dot on it.
Old July 11, 2014, 10:56 AM   #13
buck460XVR

Not only will a 6'' gun give you a longer sight radius, it will also recoil less than a comparable 4'' gun. I have 4'', 5'' and 6'' .357s and find there is little difference in balance once one develops the muscles in the arms/wrist to shoot them.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old July 11, 2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Legionnaire

Range only? 6-inch. Range and field carry? 4-inch.

YMMV.
Old July 11, 2014, 02:40 PM   #15
BCRider

You've got a DW .44 already?

Assuming you reload for it what about making up some reduced power loads? That should remove much of the fatigue and hand shakiness that comes from beating yourself up over a longer session. Work on getting your bullseye loads down closer to .44Spl like speeds or even milder if the gun will shoot them accurately enough.

Or if you find the gun is a little muzzle heavy with the long barrel switch to a shorter one. Or do you not have the barrel "kit"?

On the other hand if you simply NEED to buy another revolver I sure won't hold you back....
Old July 11, 2014, 03:08 PM   #16
Vodoun da Vinci

When I shoot my Dan Wesson .357 for punching paper at the range it always sports it's 6" barrel. When practicing "Move and Shoot" outside it's always the 2 1/2" barrel.

I do like my 6" barrels for target range shooting but I do little of it.

VooDoo
Beretta Px4 9mm subcompact, Glock 26 Gen4, Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 Magnum, Ruger LCR .38 Special +P, Colt 1903 Model M .32ACP, Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum, Ruger Bearcat .22, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, Colt Officers ACP .45, Glock 42
Old July 11, 2014, 03:26 PM   #17
Arkansas Paul

If you're 100% sure it will be for range use only I agree with getting the 6".

If you were going to add HD or SD to the mix I would go 4".
Old July 11, 2014, 03:33 PM   #18
diyj98

6" longer sight radius and as others have said, less muzzle blast.
Old July 11, 2014, 05:51 PM   #19
Center fire

@BCRider I've had the DW since around 1992. It's my only revolver. I like my autos, but I love the revolver. I want another and I like the versatility of the 357.
Old July 11, 2014, 05:54 PM   #20
Center fire

I like to thank everyone for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 6" configuration as this will be a target gun. I have autos for HD purposes if the need ever arises.
Old July 11, 2014, 05:57 PM   #21
MrBorland

I recommend a 4".

Not only is a 4" .357mag about the most versatile gun there is, a gun with a 6" full-underlug barrel feels too muzzle heavy to me. And if your technique and fundamentals are good, the shorter sight radius doesn't make that much difference at common handgun distances (<50 yards) IME.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:27 PM   #22
Schwing

I met in the middle and bought the 5". They can be hard to come by but they are not all that rare.

The balance is perfect IMO and it is a good compromise between size and sight radius.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:31 AM   #23
Manny

The 5" as mentioned above is available, but maybe a bit harder to find. One of my LGS's stocks all the barrel lengths of the GP100, 3", 4.2" 5" & 6" and the 5" is about $20 more. They also have the 3" Wiley Clap model that's pretty neat.

I have a 6" I bought for range use and possibly deer hunting, but have been heavily tempted by the 5". For 4" I went with a 4.2" SP101 and like it very much as it's substantially lighter to carry if that's your intent.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:41 AM   #24
ArchAngelCD

For target shooting and plinking I would take the 6" revolver over the 4" revolver almost every time. I like 38/357 Magnum revolvers a lot, they are a lot of fun, powerful with .357 Magnum ammo and a good for a lot of different uses.
Old July 12, 2014, 01:11 AM   #25
Steve CT

I shoot Dan Wesson revolvers, so barrel length is more easily managed. I only shoot .357 out to 50 feet, and I have settled on 4" as the best choice for my kind of shooting. If I shot at longer distance regularly, 6" would be a better choice.