Quantcast
Ruger 96/44M - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 11, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1
kcofohio

Ruger 96/44M

Was just at Davidsons' Gallery of Guns. They're listing in Lever Action a 96/44M.

Has anybody heard/read of them coming back into the lever action market. Ruger doesn't show anything on their site about it. It list Ruger's newest pistol, so it isn't an archieved page.

It's listed with an MSRP at $599.
Old July 11, 2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Gtscotty

Count me interested. A quick Google search did not return any other hits, hopefully it's not an artifact of past catalogs or one of those auctions for new old stock that rugger does occasionally.

$599 seems kind of low, but on the other hand, with the recent changes in hunting laws in places like Ohio, now seems like as good a time as any to bring back a .44 carbine.

I know my meat is grass fed because it was feeding on grass when I shot it.
Old July 11, 2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Jason_W

If they are re-introduced, I hope Ruger changes the stock away from that crescent butt stock shoulder murderer they've traditionally used.

I had one a few years ago and while it was a light, handy carbine with a smooth action, it was an unpleasant shooter with standard .44 mag loads.
Old July 11, 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
horsemen61

I'm in if they do
Old July 11, 2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Gtscotty

The rifle in the picture on the Gallery of Guns listing does not appear to have the "hump" on the receiver that the older rifles did for attaching Ruger's proprietary scope mounts. Was that hump removable on the original rifles, or was it part of the receiver?

Old July 11, 2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Zero in stock.
Nothing at Ruger.com
Old July 11, 2014, 06:19 PM   #7
ECVMatt

I think the picture they are showing is for the rimfire version. The description lists the receiver as ready for Ruger rings.
Old July 12, 2014, 02:07 AM   #8
gazpacho

Interestingly, they have a few magazines in stock.

The 96s (just like the 10/22s) can attach a scope rail to the top of the receiver with a couple of screws.

The barrel does look a little thin, and the ejection port a little small, but the 96/44 was a pretty compact package.

I'm betting on a server glitch. It would be really sweet if they brought back the 96 series, but I doubt it will happen.
Old July 12, 2014, 05:51 AM   #9
kcofohio

gazpacho, I too thought maybe an old page showed up. But it list the newly released 9E pistol.

Time will tell, I guess.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Gtscotty

It looks like that picture is of a 96/22... this 96/22 to be exact:

http://www.topgunfirearms.com/ruger96-22.htm

That must be a stock image that Ruger sent out, all the figure in the stock matches.

Bummer, I think that a suppressed 96/44 would make an excellent short range subsonic deer rifle.

Old July 13, 2014, 02:34 PM   #11
kcofohio

I sent off an email to Gallery of Guns.

My curiosity increased after looking at the link that Gtscotty posted. That site says it was last modified in 2001.

I'll update when they respond.
Old July 13, 2014, 03:07 PM   #12
bluetopper

My shooting buddy has a Ruger bolt-action 44 Mag.
Old July 13, 2014, 06:04 PM   #13
kcofohio

Hi bluetopper. I believe that would be a Model 77. IIRC
Old July 15, 2014, 06:31 PM   #14
kcofohio

Update From Gallery of Guns

I received an email back of my inquiry.

Quote:
I am sorry but that gun is no longer produced. We are sorry that we have it on the website. I have asked our Inventory department to remove it from the website. If you have any questions please contact me at the email address or telephone number below.
Bummer, was hoping. Sorry if I jumped the gun with starting this thread. If the mods see the need to close it, as it's a dead subject.

Last edited by kcofohio; July 15, 2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added request
Old July 16, 2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Jim Watson

The apparent reason for Ruger offering it originally in 1996 was that there was concern that AWB II would ban all private ownership of semiautomatics. So Ruger designed lever action rifles as close to their autos as possible.
Old July 16, 2014, 09:39 AM   #16
DPris

Ruger was surprised & disappointed to find the centerfire leverguns didn't sell as anticipated & dropped 'em.
I can't imagine the company bringing them back.
Insufficient market interest.
Denis
Old July 16, 2014, 06:18 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
Insufficient market interest.
The market interest was there. The quality and accuracy was insufficient. They had lots of problems with the few made.
Old July 16, 2014, 08:48 PM   #18
ridgerunner1965

i dont see them coming back. if the market was there they would of never stopped producing them. i do like them tho. and would also like to see the ruger deerfield 44 come back. in 45 lc of course.
Old July 16, 2014, 08:50 PM   #19
DPris

Had the market been there, Ruger would have worked out the kinks & kept the guns going.
Denis