Quantcast
AR15 30 round magazine help. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 13, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1
LaVere

AR15 30 round magazine help.

Last year I bought a stack of 30 round
Magazines 20 in all. Most were Colt brand. One was Adventure Line. Yesterday I finally used the Adventure Line and had many Fail to Feed FTF . I won't be hurting for mags if I throw this one away. I'm now not sure I can trust this mag ever again. Should I just junk it. I'll not pass it on to any one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (219.6 KB, 58 views)
Old July 13, 2014, 02:57 PM   #2
ZGunner

If it's giving you problems, don't use it. Use what works, scrap what doesn't.
Old July 13, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3
back40

^ exactly.

scrap it.
Old July 13, 2014, 03:02 PM   #4
wally

Try an "anti-tilt" follower and Wolfe mag spring, and then I'd junk it if that is not the cure, in which case save the Wolfe spring and anti-tilt follower as spares.
Old July 13, 2014, 03:17 PM   #5
gunnutery

I like to keep at least one bad mag (if I happen to get a lemon) to use for failure drills. I have one old Glock mag that I spray painted red. I also had one bad Mini 14 mag before I sold it off. I had already marked it as "training only" and I included it in the sale.
Old July 13, 2014, 03:59 PM   #6
benEzra

I'd junk it. When you can buy PMags for $10-$15 there is little reason to keep a damaged/defective metal magazine. If the problem is feed lip damage then no amount of fiddling will ever make it reliable.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Ramone

I'd go with Wally's Plan- a spare spring and follower are always good, if it turns out to be feed lips

IMX, about half the bad AR mags I have encountered had the spring installed wrong, so I'd surely check that before I tossed it. Four or five of my good mags were ones that someone else was discarding as 'bad' mags, and only needed to be put back together right.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:51 PM   #8
greyling22

Don't crucify me if this is illegal, I live in a free state and am not up on current laws, but you might see if anybody wants it. Adventure line mags are preban.

personally I like my adventure line mag. it is well worn and has a pretty gold finish under the gray where it has worn off.
Old July 13, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9
herrwalther

Replace the follower. The black follower is the oldest follower color code used in GI mags so that may be the feed issue source. Magpul makes a very reliable follower that is brown that I have had great luck with. Spend about 6 bucks and try to save the magazine, if not you are out 6 bucks which isn't much to cry over.
Old July 13, 2014, 05:27 PM   #10
M1key

All my Adventureline mags have been upgraded with Magpul followers.

M
Old July 13, 2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Quiet

Adventure Line was a OEM for USGI magazine back in the 1970-1990s.

This was before the newer anti-tilt followers and more reliable magazines springs were invented.

Replace the magazine's follower & spring and it will be good-to-go.

I replaced the USGI followers & springs on all my USGI magazines from the 1990s with Magpul followers & Brownell chrome silicon springs. Doing so greatly improved the reliability of the magazines.

Last edited by Quiet; July 13, 2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old July 13, 2014, 06:29 PM   #12
LaVere

Thank you all for suggestions. Think I'll get new spring and flower and try it.
Old July 13, 2014, 06:45 PM   #13
taliv

i'd crush it and throw it in the trash.

you might try to help someone in a pre-ban state, but be careful about importing mags. make sure you know the law before shipping anything in.

at the moment, you can get magpul pmags for like $8 or so. So as far as I can tell, spending half that to upgrade the spring and follower on a 30-40 year old aluminum body is throwing good money after bad, as you have no guarantee it will fix the problem.
Distinguished Rifleman Badge #1971
Geocaching Targets! www.targetcaching.com
Precision Rifle Series
Old July 13, 2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Stephen1956

I agree with Wally if you can fix it I have about 20 springs and followers in a box upstairs and best of all got them free.
Old July 13, 2014, 07:23 PM   #15
moxie

When in doubt, throw it out!!

A new Magpul 100% reliable mag can be had for <$10.

Why fool around??

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 14, 2014, 09:23 AM   #16
bannockburn

When my brother was in the Army he found that Colt marked magazines and Okay Industries magazines (who through their subsidiary Universal Industries actually made magazines for Colt), were good to go right out of the wrapper. Adventureline magazines could be a bit more problematic and he had to function test each one to see if they would work properly.

Last edited by bannockburn; July 14, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old July 14, 2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Dr.Rob

Why fool around? Because you can. See if you can fix it but mark it 'range only' if it remains finicky.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:15 PM   #18
moxie

Personally I don't want "finicky" mags even for range only.

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 14, 2014, 02:27 PM   #19
dprice3844444

if the follower and spring replacement work,you have a good mag.if not,spare parts.worth the try.let us know.
Old July 14, 2014, 03:57 PM   #20
Bartholomew Roberts
Moderator Emeritus

I'd just junk it. During the AWB, I would try to rehabilitate old mags that weren't working well and while it can certainly be done, it is amazing how often they manage to end up back in the range bag before you get around to repairing them. When I finally started trashing them after 2006 or so, the number of mag related problems in my shooting log went to almost zero.

With top notch functional mags selling for under $10 a pop bulk, there is really no reason to screw around with the springs and followers trying to rehabilitate a crappy mag. Chances are you can't fix it cheaper than you can buy a new one and trashing it will save you the migrating magazine problem.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:24 PM   #21
Destructo6

Replace the follower and perhaps the spring, too.

I just dusted off some NIW 30rnd Okay and Parsons magazines with black followers, dated 1987 (date on the label in the plastic bag). They've been failing like crazy. Even when loading the with bullets, I've noticed that they often go bullet tip up unless corrected. Lots of failures to load.

Keep all of them clean.
Old July 15, 2014, 11:26 AM   #22
wally

Quote:
During the AWB, I would try to rehabilitate old mags that weren't working well and while it can certainly be done

With top notch functional mags selling for under $10 a pop bulk, there is really no reason to screw around with the springs and followers trying to rehabilitate a crappy mag.
IMHO, now with spare parts and replacement mags cheap and plentiful, is a good time to get some experience in a skill we can all hope to never need again!
Old July 15, 2014, 11:51 AM   #23
dprice3844444

learn to fix things now while parts are plentiful and cheap.after replacing innards,if the mag works fine,save it.it's also good barter material for friends in other states who have restrictions.