Quantcast
Debunk Auto Ordnance m1 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 9, 2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Bezoar

Debunk Auto Ordnance m1

Ive been looking at it online, and well it is roughly the same dimensions, roghly.

My curiousity is how much of it can be taken to military standard?
Old September 9, 2014, 08:55 PM   #2
4thPointOfContact

Thompson SMG fired from an open bolt and had a 10.5 inch barrel (12 w/Cutt's Compensator).
You can get pretty close, depending on exactly which Gov't model you want to imitate.
Old September 9, 2014, 09:03 PM   #3
ugaarguy

I believe he's referring to the AO M1 Carbine in .30 Carbine since AO designates their semi-auto Thompsons as T1.
Old September 9, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Jim K

The whole Auto Ordnance semi-auto Thompson has been worked over so TSMG parts won't work in it; it won't even take GI magazines without altering them.

If it is a matter of a re-enactment gun, it is close enough except for the 16" barrel, but otherwise, it is pretty much just a lookalike.

Jim
Old September 9, 2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

^^ Guys... he's talking about an M1 carbine.

The AO is dimensionally identical to the GI carbine and all parts fit one to the other. It's a faithful copy.

Willie

Old September 10, 2014, 04:58 AM   #6
Ibmikey

Save your money and buy a GI carbine as has been suggested in your other posts on the same subject. Your grand kids will thank you.
Old September 10, 2014, 08:33 AM   #7
rondog

Not sure why some people don't like the AO M1 Carbines - if I could afford one I'd surely like to have one. Fortunately, I got an Inland and an IBM before the prices went nuts, paid $500 each for them from gracious private sellers. I also have a nice Plainfield, so I'm set.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Bezoar

So fun......

cant really afford the current prices for an m1. not even if i bought the parts myself and made my own mixmaster.

How close is the bolt assembly in the ao m1 compared to the real deal, in terms of longevity.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:04 PM   #9
wlewisiii

The AO are claimed to be made to USGI spec. You should be able to use any parts from it in an Inland and parts from an Inland in it. Presuming they heat treat appropriately and use the proper materials, the life expectancy of any given part should be the same. What I can't speak to is AO/Kahr's QC protocols.

FWIW, until I got stupid lucky last month, I planned on eventually getting a AO reproduction as I've always wanted a carbine more than any other non-NFA WWII rifle.
Old September 11, 2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Bezoar

How well, quickly, does teh auto ordnance ressettle the zero after the action is removed from the stock/ Ive seen where an original m1 can take 30 rounds typically to re set itself in the stock before you should hope for accuracy.
Old September 11, 2014, 05:06 PM   #11
jrmiddleton425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezoar View Post
How well, quickly, does teh auto ordnance ressettle the zero after the action is removed from the stock/ Ive seen where an original m1 can take 30 rounds typically to re set itself in the stock before you should hope for accuracy.
The zero won't change enough to matter at the range you typically shoot an M1 Carbine at. If you can see it, and the front sight is smaller than the target, you can hit it, out of the box, without even adjusting the sights.
Old September 11, 2014, 06:06 PM   #12
cfullgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezoar View Post
The Garand, the 30 caliber, M1 Rifle, definitely takes a number of rounds to settle in after the action was removed from the stock.

i am not sure I have ever heard the carbine has that problem.

But as jrmiddleton425 said, at the ranges you would shoot a carbine at, you probably would not notice.