Quantcast
Mosin Nagant questions - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 17, 2014, 06:57 PM   #26
vamo

Sure they aren't as cheap as they were even 2 years ago, but they're still a bargain at the $150 cabelas was asking last time I was there.

As far as the cheap surplus ammo I've not seen any in the last 2 years under $5 for 20 with some mild discounts for buying in bulk. However, this is still cheaper than the cheapest factory offerings which are typically in the $9-12 per 20 range.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
Old July 19, 2014, 06:38 PM   #27
Thompson9494

Thanks for replies

Thanks for the replies! I've borrowed a very nice M44 from a family member so hopefully I'll get around to firing it within and I decide where I wanna buy one from! Once I get around to firing it I'll let y'all know!!
Old July 19, 2014, 06:56 PM   #28
skeptical_in_Ohio

Hi-

AIM Surplus (admittedly plus shipping and FFL since you're in Texas & not Ohio)...

For those who don't want to click the link -

91/30's (didn't see any M44's)
Round receiver - 130
Hex receiver (seen as more desirable by some) - 150 (currently out)
Tula (seen as more desirable by some collectors than Izhevsk) - 140
Add $10 if you want them to pull five and then pick the best of that handful for you. My experience with AIM has been good (buying ammo, though - not guns) but I'd be inclined to trust them to give $10 worth of value for that fee.

I would put their prices for Finnish but those are all currently sold out. Low was $400.

Ammo (Russian) - $200 plus $25 shipping anywhere in the US for 880 rounds (two spam cans).

Personally I buy the NC brass stuff from them - they're out right now but generally have not too painful prices on that stuff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by skeptical_in_Ohio; July 20, 2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old July 20, 2014, 04:29 PM   #29
Thompson9494

What is the consensus from everyone about the 'Molot' Mosin Nagants you can buy off of places like classicfirearms.com?? I've heard some people don't like 'em.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 21, 2014, 06:20 AM   #30
caribou

No problem with Molot, they are just the Russian exporters, not manufacturers or such.
Old July 23, 2014, 01:34 AM   #31
Jlr2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou View Post
No problem with Molot, they are just the Russian exporters, not manufacturers or such.
I agree the Molots are ok. Collectors snub them because they are considered to be recent re-arsenals and w/out historical value...they are exported as sporting/hunting rifles.

I bought one of the $89 specials from classic and it was all matching numbers from Tula...good shooter too.
Old July 23, 2014, 09:53 AM   #32
electrode1998

After reading the entire thread I am feeling very blessed by my LGS......I picked up one 91/30 for $150 and a 44 for $100 OTD a couple of months ago.

These are in storage right now waiting for my birthday to come later this year........

Both swimming in cosmo with all the normal accessories included and the final bonus to the purchase besides the nice prices was that my LGS let's the customer pick their rifle from the shipping crate they arrived to him in.......

I took my time picking over all the rifles in the lots going over fit, feel, furniture condition, metal condition, date stamps, etc.........

Can't wait to open my birthday presents, clean them up and head to the range with spam can in tow........
Old July 23, 2014, 01:59 PM   #33
TenDriver

At $100, you stole the M44. Nice pick up. I like my 91/30, but want a M44 to go with it.
Old July 23, 2014, 09:57 PM   #34
Jlr2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenDriver View Post
At $100, you stole the M44. Nice pick up. I like my 91/30, but want a M44 to go with it.
Check Wideners...$169 last week
Old July 23, 2014, 10:19 PM   #35
TrickyDick

I've got 4 mosins. My favorite is the Finn M39, hands down. It's worth the money, and you should get one while prives are reasonable. As for 91/30's I bought a Molot form classic for $118 to my door (thank you C&R license) its the nicest 91/30 i have.

But if you want a standard 91/30, it's best to hand pick one. I advise you to take a look at http://www.themosincrate.com

Good quality firearms, reasonable prices, and you get the very one shown. the guy is a collector and is selling off some of his collection. some prices may seem high, but it's fully explained why. but hey, you can take a chance and order one you've never seen, or pay a hefty price for junk at your local LGS.

"Who is John Galt?"
Old July 25, 2014, 08:47 PM   #36
GunnyUSMC

Don't buy Mosins. They will have nuprotected sex when your at work and you will end up with more then you will know what to do with.
I do not relish to feel what the men that used these old weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi. - GySgt G. LEE Bihm
Old July 25, 2014, 09:16 PM   #37
bainter1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyUSMC View Post
Don't buy Mosins. They will have nuprotected sex when your at work and you will end up with more then you will know what to do with.
Haha!

A Spanish Civil War specimen turned up at my door the other day. He had a carpet bag slung over his shoulder and a five day's beard. I felt so much pity for him I just HAD to house and feed him. He likes to eat Russian surplus....who knew??
Old July 26, 2014, 06:47 AM   #38
Deus Machina

And now I'm jealous again, Gunny.
Here and I thought I was lucky for getting Ivan for $69.95.
Old July 26, 2014, 07:03 PM   #39
Robbins290

Jg sales has m44's for 199. Having about a dozen mosins. The m38 and m44 are the best. Nice and short. I like the 44 for having a bayonet
Old July 26, 2014, 09:57 PM   #40
Thompson9494

Accuracy questions

About what kind of accuracy can I expect out of an M44 Mosin? I mean, I know that they are by no means the most accurate rifle of their era but I would definitely like to at least to be able shoot decent sized targets at 200 or 300 yards.

Another question, has anyone ever bad luck with a Mosin from J&G, classic firearms, or Wideners?

Last one, many of these websites, classic firearms and Wideners (I've only checked Wideners) require memberships to order and Wideners req's you to be 21 y/o, I've never ordered a firearm before so I was wondering, do you have to be 21 y/o to order ANY kind of firearm of the internet even if it is a C&R gun, if so then I'm hosed for another 13 months.
Old July 26, 2014, 09:59 PM   #41
mgkdrgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson9494 View Post
What is the consensus from everyone about the 'Molot' Mosin Nagants you can buy off of places like classicfirearms.com?? I've heard some people don't like 'em.

Thanks in advance.
I've had the Molots come through my shop and I liked them a LOT. Clean! Very "discrete" import marks. I'd take them again any day.
Old July 27, 2014, 01:45 AM   #42
ford8nr

Quote:
About what kind of accuracy can I expect out of an M44 Mosin? I mean, I know that they are by no means the most accurate rifle of their era but I would definitely like to at least to be able shoot decent sized targets at 200 or 300 yards.
The last vintage match I shot with my 91/30 using surplus ammo shooting off a front sand bag was a 403/500 (8 ring average) with the 8 ring being 6". So that's 50 rds at a 100 yards on a 6" plate with iron sights. Winner was shooting a sniper version with a scope and shot a 494/500 with a 2" 10 ring. At 240yds I can keep it on a 12" plate 4 out of 5 off a bench and front sand bag. If it has a decent bbl it'll probably shoot as good as most shooters.
Old July 27, 2014, 08:09 PM   #43
Thompson9494

GunnyUSMC, you've got a very impressive collection of Mosins!!
Old July 27, 2014, 08:58 PM   #44
RevDerb

Everything that you ever wanted to know (and more) about Mosins can be found here: http://7.62x54r.net/
Old July 27, 2014, 09:07 PM   #45
GunnyUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson9494
GunnyUSMC, you've got a very impressive collection of Mosins!!
Thank you. I have never been a big fan of the Mosin rifle, But they just keep turning up. I like Turkish Mausers the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainter1212
A Spanish Civil War specimen turned up at my door the other day. He had a carpet bag slung over his shoulder and a five day's beard. I felt so much pity for him I just HAD to house and feed him. He likes to eat Russian surplus....who knew??
Your right about those Spaniards. I have four or five of them and I think they are the root of the problem and the number of Mosins I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins290
Jg sales has m44's for 199. Having about a dozen mosins. The m38 and m44 are the best. Nice and short. I like the 44 for having a bayonet
Unprotected Mosin sex will lead to Carbins.

The Finn Mosins have remained neutral while at the house and the M91 stay to themselves.
I do not relish to feel what the men that used these old weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:57 PM   #46
Chrisbradley2001

Love my m44 carbine I just picked up for 100$

Now for a 91/30

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406512633.757263.jpg
Old July 30, 2014, 08:40 PM   #47
Thompson9494

How much money would y'all say your average Finnish Mosin is worth? I remember there has been a vendor at the gun show who has had one on his table for last few times I've been there.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:17 PM   #48
TrickyDick

Quote:
How much money would y'all say your average Finnish Mosin is worth? I remember there has been a vendor at the gun show who has had one on his table for last few times I've been there.
Depends on manufacturer, year, condition and stock (early straight stocks are worth more) But the price ranges from $350-$600 depending on what you have.

This website will give you an idea, it's where i bought mine, i highly recommend http://www.gunsnammo.com

"Who is John Galt?"
Old July 30, 2014, 10:19 PM   #49
TrickyDick

I just clicked on that link, and apparently she hasn't updated the site with new rifles yet. but keep checking back. (Pat is short for Patricia)

"Who is John Galt?"
Old July 31, 2014, 04:04 PM   #50
GunnyUSMC

[quote "Thompson9494"] How much money would y'all say your average Finnish Mosin is worth? I remember there has been a vendor at the gun show who has had one on his table for last few times I've been there. [/quote]

Now which Finn rifle are you asking about. You have what is called Finn captured rifle which are Russian made but put into service by the Finns, M91, M91 Dragoon, 91/30 and the M38.
Then there are the Finn rifles built, M91, M91 Dragoon, 91/30 M24, M27, M28/30 and the M39. These are just a few and there are variants in most models.
Price can start at $250 and go into the thousands.
A Finn M91 will sell for around $300 and then a Dragoon will sell from $300 to $500 depending on what it has on it.
This Finn marked M91 Dragoon is valued at approx. $400. It has the early solid Dragoon bands and a cut down early hand guard.