Quantcast
Looking for bolt action .22 with FO front sight - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 13, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1
wbwanzer

Looking for bolt action .22 with FO front sight

I'm going buggy from looking at all the available .22 bolt action rifles. I like fiber optics a lot and would prefer them. I know that the Ruger American has them, but I just bought one of those in 17HMR, so I'm looking for something different for 22. I thought the Marlin XT-22SR had them but now I'm not so sure. So do you folks know of any .22 Bolt actions that come with fiber optics for sure, besides the Ruger?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
Old July 13, 2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Acera

Look into the CZ line of rimfire rifles. They are of better quality than Ruger IMHO. Their website has fiber front sights listed to replace the originals if you want.
http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/

Also consider, that replacement sights are made for just about all the rifles currently made. Not that big of a deal to buy a HiViz sight and make the change yourself.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:32 AM   #3
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Quote:
Also consider, that replacement sights are made for just about all the rifles currently made. Not that big of a deal to buy a HiViz sight and make the change yourself
+1. Settle on the rifle and then find. I like the Marlin XT's. I have one in 22mag, awesome .5" groups a 100yds with Hornady vmax. You can put the Williams fire sight on it as well. They will work on the XT-22 and XT-22R, not sure about the others. Here is the link to the sights for $24: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...ont-green-rear. There are some reviews there as well. I have a set on my ruger 22/45 and love them.
Old July 14, 2014, 01:00 AM   #4
The_Next_Generation

Lo, he who asks of The High Road rifle recommendations in 22lr shall be inundated with pro-CZ posts!

Definitely get a CZ military-trainer, look for one with nice wood and add a fiber-optic front sight.

What's awesome about the trainer is that the tanget rear-sight is calibrated for 25-200m. All you have to do is slide it to the correct range and bang away...its TONS of fun at 200

Old July 14, 2014, 01:04 AM   #5
viking499

Is there a front FO sight for a CZ? I don't think there is.......
Old July 14, 2014, 01:53 AM   #6
BCRider

FO front sights on rifles are so rare that you may as well find the rifle you like that fits you well and then replace the sights. You'll be a lot happier than compromising the rifle for the sake of the sights.

Hell a LOT of rifles don't even have ANY sights what with being expected to be fitted with a scope. If one of those catches your eye then figure on the added cost for a smith to cut dovetails in the barrel for the sights. Or go with a rear peep and a front FO if that's your thing.

I take it you're looking for speed of sight picture acquisition? That's where the FO fronts really shine... if you'll forgive the pun For pure accuracy in slow fire work I don't find that they matter at all.
Old July 14, 2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Field Tester

Savage MK II
Old July 14, 2014, 12:33 PM   #8
wbwanzer

BCRider said "....you may as well find the rifle you like that fits you well and then replace the sights. You'll be a lot happier than compromising the rifle for the sake of the sights."

As a few of you said, I should just find a rifle that I like and add the FO sights if I want. Makes sense. I should have thought of that, except I didn't really want the extra step of buying sights and then probably having to get someone to install them.

So if I get a rifle without sights (as most of them are) will it then require machining the barrel to add FO sights?
Old July 14, 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
The_Next_Generation

CZ has a FO front sight listed for the 452 scout and 513 basic: https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetai...ic-Front-Sight

Not sure if that would work on a 452 trainer

As far as buying a rifle with no sights, you will need to take it to a smith to either solder-on a base on the end of the barrel to mount the front-sight to. You could then have the receiver drilled and tapped for an aperture sight like those sold by Williams, or you could mill a dovetail at the rear of the barrel to slip a rear-sight into. Alternatively, since most rifles these days are D/T from the factory for a scope, adding an aperture sight to the receiver may not require any gunsmithing.

Sadly, bolt-action 22s with GOOD sights from the factory are tough to come by these days. Good luck with the project, be sure to keep us posted as you complete the rifle!

Edit: I just looked at the options available for Savage's MKII rifles. Yep, fiber optic sights look like a breeze to install on it! Shouldn't take more than $50 to get the rifle set up the way you want it. Although Savages aren't as pretty as a CZ, it might fit your needs just fine (plus, you'll save cash with the Savage that you can use for ammo )

Last edited by The_Next_Generation; July 14, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old July 15, 2014, 09:31 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

Henry Acu-Bolt has Williams Fire Sights,,,

Henry Acu-Bolt has Williams Fire Sights,,,
It's a single-shot and appears to be discontinued.

But if you can find a used one somewhere,,,
They are very accurate rifles.

They came in .22 LR, .22 magnum, and I believe in .17 as well.

Just thought it was worth a mention.

Aarond

Old July 15, 2014, 02:09 PM   #11
wbwanzer

Thanks Aarond. A magazine holding five or more would be preferable. But that Henry is nice looking.
Old July 15, 2014, 03:15 PM   #12
aarondhgraham

Hello wbwanzer,,,

Quote:
A magazine holding five or more would be preferable.
Yeah, single shots aren't for everyone,,,
I like them as a matter of simplicity and leisurely use.

Quote:
But that Henry is nice looking.
Yes, even though it's somewhat of a plain Jane,,,
The black polymer stock and the matte stainless go well together.

When I bought mine they came with the scope and mount,,,
It's an el cheapo 4x Chinese scope with Henry markings,,,
But the scope held a 50 yard zero for over four years.

Aarond

Old July 15, 2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Deltaboy

Get an used tube Fed Remmy 500 series and add a FO front sight. My 512 holds 18 rounds.