Quantcast
Buckshot - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 16, 2014, 06:47 PM   #1
slschultz

Buckshot

Anybody here reloading buckshot I need loads that are about 1300fps.
Old July 16, 2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Gadawg88

What components do you have access to if any. Powder is hard to come by as you may know.
Old July 16, 2014, 07:42 PM   #3
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slschultz View Post
Anybody here reloading buckshot I need loads that are about 1300fps.
You don't say which gauge you want to load.
You don't say what size Buckshot you want to load.
You don't say what length case.
Which powder are you using?
Which hulls are you using?

Shotgun load data is a lot more picky than rifle or handgun data. It's generally better to use the same components listed in the load data.

A good source of shotshell load data is the Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook. For all Hodgdon/ IMR/ Winchester powders you can check the Hodgdon Load Data site.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Be careful, read first and load later.
Welcome to the forum...
Old July 16, 2014, 08:45 PM   #4
gamestalker

What ArchAngel said ^^^

Welcome to THR

Just as ArchAngel stated, shotgun data / recipe's are very specific to the components and data provided.

So, lets begin with establishing what gauge you are intending to load for.

What hull are you using?

Once we've established those factors, we need to know what powders you have available. Then we can direct you to recipe's that will include the specific components you will need.

GS
Old July 16, 2014, 08:57 PM   #5
slschultz

12ga 2 3/4 00. I have a bunch of differant hulls. I have Red Dot, U Clays, 800x and a few others. I guess I am concerned about fillers and wads mostly.
Old July 16, 2014, 09:08 PM   #6
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slschultz View Post
12ga 2 3/4 00. I have a bunch of differant hulls. I have Red Dot, U Clays, 800x and a few others. I guess I am concerned about fillers and wads mostly.
Check the link I provided above since a few of your powders are from Hodgdon.
Of the powders you listed you will probably get the best results with Universal for 00 Buckshot loads but please check the data for yourself and match the components.
Old July 16, 2014, 11:56 PM   #7
slschultz

Thanks I have used the hogdon site in the past. I am looking at what loaders are using for filler. I would asume that you you don't just drop the buck in and crimp it. Also I would think that some wads might be better with buck than others. These are going to be used in 3 gun when I run out of my factory loads.
Old July 17, 2014, 12:05 AM   #8
ArchAngelCD

I'm sorry, I'm no expert on Buckshot and wouldn't want to give you bad information.

I do know this book will explain exactly how to do what you want to do.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/887...ProductFinding
Old July 17, 2014, 01:16 AM   #9
ReloaderFred

Buy the Lyman Shotshell Loading Manual and follow the recipes exactly. Like you've been told, shotgun reloading is different than metallic reloading. I load for both, and have for quite a number of years. I'll deviate from some metallic reloading data, but not shotgun data.

Shotgun barrels and chambers are thin when compared to rifles and handguns, and the hull won't contain pressure like a shell casing will, which is why the instructions say to follow the recipe when loading for shotguns.

I do load 00 buck loads myself. I don't use filler in them and they group about the same as factory loads with filler. The data came from the aforementioned Lyman manual.

Bottom line is, buy the manual and there are lots of recipes for loading shot, buckshot and slugs. It's much, much better to follow proven data than asking people you don't know for advice.........

Hope this helps.

Fred
Old July 17, 2014, 09:05 AM   #10
slschultz

I guess my first post came across a little off. I have been reloading for better than 40 years. I reload for 12ga,16ga, 20ga,28ga in lead steel and hevi shot. I reload 3006,308,223 45acp 44mag, 10mm,40,9mm. Till recently have have not needed to reload buck or slugs. I am not looking for data but tips or ideas to make better buck loads.
I have read the lyman manual but some of the information is a little outdated. I thought maybe some new ideas and products have come out since the last edition.
Thanks Schultz
Old July 17, 2014, 11:01 AM   #11
huntsman

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Buc...tinfo/00MBUCK/

this manual addresses buffering and specialty loads

"Tis better to miss with style,than to hit with bad form"-Colonel Peter Hawker
Old July 17, 2014, 12:00 PM   #12
ReloaderFred

slschultz,

Thanks for clarifying that. Your original post appeared to me to be from someone who has never reloaded, and suddenly found themselves in the position of needing to improvise and didn't want to invest in a manual to do so.

I myself have been reloading for over 51 years, and I still consult the manuals, especially for shotgun reloading, which is not one of my favorite endeavors, but I do it out of necessity. If you're looking for buffering material, since Winchester no longer offers their excellent Super Grex, it's available from several different sources. Precision Reloading seems to have the best price and they claim their shot buffer doesn't have to be vibrated or shaken to fill in around the shot. You might give them a try. These days I reserve my stash of Super Grex for case filling for my .45-120 Sharps smokeless powder loads.

I've loaded quite a bit of 00 Buck, but I cast my own, and like I mentioned above, I don't use buffer in those loads and they group about the same as the Remington and Winchester 00 Buck loads I've patterned.

Hope this helps.

Fred
Old July 17, 2014, 02:07 PM   #13
slschultz

Fred is there any certain way to stack the pellets. And do you a fold crimp or a rollcrimp with a overshot card.
Old July 17, 2014, 02:57 PM   #14
rodregier

Precision Reloading sells house-brand buffer (granulated polyethylene).
I've used it, nice product.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm...Category_Code=

The also sell a very light over-shot cover that keeps the buffer from leaking out too.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm...ode=TIGHT_SEAL

It's not considered safe practice to take a "max" sgn recipe and then put buffer into it.

Last edited by rodregier; July 17, 2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: leaving=>leaking
Old July 17, 2014, 03:27 PM   #15
ReloaderFred

slschultz,

The 00 Buck has to be stacked, 3 to a layer. Only certain wads will work, and they're listed in the Lyman manual. You can get 3 layers in the case, and then I use the regular folded crimp. The recipe I use is specifically for the AA hulls.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: I'll be gone until Monday............