Quantcast
Opinions on 12 ga #1 buck - 20 pellet - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 16, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Old Scratch

Opinions on 12 ga #1 buck - 20 pellet

I have had good results with these. I use the Winchester and have found patterning far superior to 12 pellet #00 buck. Your thoughts and experiences?
Old July 16, 2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Deltaboy

It kills Bambi just as good as any other Buckshot I used.
Old July 17, 2014, 04:56 AM   #3
RMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scratch View Post
I have had good results with these. I use the Winchester and have found patterning far superior to 12 pellet #00 buck. Your thoughts and experiences?

Winchester no longer makes a 20 pellet #1B load. There is a 16 pellet 2.75" or a 24 pellet 3" load.

The 20 pellet, 2.75" magnum #1B load was discontinued several years ago.

Last edited by RMc; July 17, 2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old July 17, 2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Fred Fuller

If they pattern well for you, by all means use them. They are the theoretical ideal buckshot size for 12 ga., but as with so many theories, in practice they don't always work out. I have yet to find a barrel that will pattern #1 buck to suit me, and I've been looking most of my life.

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old July 17, 2014, 12:47 PM   #5
VA27

Shame that the short magnum load was discontinued. The USF&WS Wildlife Services (formerly known as Federal Trappers) used that load out of Browning A5's to good effect eliminating nuisance animals (beaver, coyotes and feral swine) for a lot of years. It's a real killer.

They've gone to Benellis and Remingtons now and I would think that the 3" load would be just as good.

-The NRA is my Union-
Old July 17, 2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Cooldill

Wow, I use Winchester 2 3/4" 1B 16 pellet loads for my HD shotgun. Didn't know they made a 2 3/4" "magnum" with 20 pellets on board. That sounds like a great combo for defensive work indoors.
Old July 17, 2014, 04:36 PM   #7
RMc

A couple of things to remember about #1B:

-Magnum #1B loads are loaded to a severely reduced velocity levels, well under 1100 fps.

- Commerically loaded #1B ammunition uses reduced diameter pellets to maintain the traditional number of pellets in the load with the reduced internal space of plastic wads. The usual .286" pellet weigh in at 33 grains - not the nominal .30" diameter and 40 grains shown on buckshot charts.

Last edited by RMc; July 17, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:08 PM   #8
mgkdrgn

that is my "go to" HD round ... nice balance of penetration and pattern density