Quantcast
How do I clean walnut grips? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 16, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Twiki357

How do I clean walnut grips?

After half a dozen searches and a rummaging couple of months of postings, I give up. So.

I have a couple of recent S&W acquisitions (Shipped in 1974 and earlier) with original factory walnut stocks that look like they were carried around by an auto mechanic who avoided soap. How can I clean (Rehab) the walnut stocks? I seem to recall a thread on this a few months ago, but cant find it. I think the recommendation was dish soap and a tooth brush, but Id like help before I damage them.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old July 16, 2014, 09:58 PM   #2
JTQ

Ballistol is wood safe. I've seen folks on the "net" use it and recommend it for wood. I've not used it on wood myself, but I do use the product for other things. It works well, but it does have a distinct aroma.

http://www.ballistol.com
Old July 17, 2014, 09:10 PM   #3
Drail

Murphy's Wood Soap. Remove the grips when cleaning if you're going to get sloppy with solvents and oil.
Old July 17, 2014, 10:10 PM   #4
RustyShackelford

+1 for Ballistol....

Id advise Ballistol. It's non toxic, you can use it with bare hands, it's CFC free & has a pine tree type scent. The big - with recent Ballistol cans is they only come in 6oz types.
In the late 1990s I used bigger cans of Ballistol & it worked great. It's handy around the camp or home too.
Around 1999, I cleaned & checked my cousin's rusted-out, dirty Remington 1100 12ga shotgun with Ballistol. After about 2/3 hours of cleaning the 12ga shotgun looked brand new(even the wood stock & foregrip).
Rusty
www.brownells.com

PS; grip maker; Craig Spegel might have some good advice too; www.craigspegel.com . He uses walnut & wood.

Andre Agassi
Old July 17, 2014, 10:36 PM   #5
ColtPythonElite

Dish soap
Old July 26, 2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Big Shrek

Some dish soaps are made with things that will do bad things to your wood.
It ain't like it used to be...

Murphy's Oil Soap is meant for wood, it protects better than anything else I've run across.
Its still inexpensive & a big bottle lasts for YEARS
Old July 27, 2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Blade First

Put your grips in a Mason jar and pour in enough acetone to more than cover them. Let them soak for 24 hours, remove and let dry. Not only will all dirt and oils be removed, the old lacquer will be gone, too.

To refinish, rub in a coat of tung oil and let dry...again for 24 hours. If they aren't dark enough or shiny enough, apply another coat. Repeat until the grips look like you want them to look on your revolver. Don't forget, you must let them dry completely before applying the next coat.

You'll like the result.

-Certified Armorer for AR-15/ M16/ M4 Platforms

-Factory-certified Armorer for S&W M&P Pistols
Old July 27, 2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Sunray

"...Murphy's Oil Soap is meant for wood..." Yep, or any other product made for cleaning wood. Wood is wood.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:19 PM   #9
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Try some Lemon Oil Furniture Polish on a rag first.

Use an old toothbrush to clean the checkering with it.

WD-40 will work too.

rc
Old August 24, 2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drail View Post
Murphy's Wood Soap. Remove the grips when cleaning if you're going to get sloppy with solvents and oil.
This Murphy's Oil soap will get them clean . I use an old toothbrush.
Old August 25, 2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Lafitte

GoJo hand cleaner will take the grime and dirt off but won't remove the finish.

Lafitte