Quantcast
anyone still hunt and eat squirrels?? - Page 4 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 26, 2014, 07:49 PM   #76
Vern Humphrey

Quote:
Sure glad I didn't have to fill the fridge with a .22 pistol - I'm not near as efficient with a .22 pistol as some.
The key to squirrel hunting is to follow the dictum of the Spanish philosopher, Oretga y Gasset: "One does not hunt to kill, one kills in order to have hunted."

I don't HAVE to kill a squirrel. I like to take a little folding stool and sit out in the woods in a prime feeding area just before dawn and listen to the woods come awake. If I don't get a good shot with my pistol, it doesn't really matter. I'll get enough squirrels tomorrow or the next day.

And oddly enough, this relaxed approach works -- I kill more squirrels the more laid back I am.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:08 PM   #77
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
When I was a kid, I couldn't sit still, but my grandpa would tell me to find a tree and lean against it and just watch and listen. As I became older, I saw his wisdom and as my metabolic rate slowed, it became my favorite form of hunting squirrel.

Now, if i hear 'em barking, squalling, or maybe runnin' around on the limbs, I'll stalk toward 'em. You can hunt squirrel with your ears. My ears haven't deteriorated, thankfully.

A pistol makes it tougher to find a rest when you stalk. I like to lay on my back if the ground isn't wet and clamp the gun in my hands between my knees if I can't get a rest on a tree or something. Shooting off hand is pretty tough and I always rest the gun or just not take the shot. A monopod is a handy tool, too.
Old July 26, 2014, 09:09 PM   #78
Officers'Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCgunner View Post
When I was a kid, I couldn't sit still, but my grandpa would tell me to find a tree and lean against it and just watch and listen. As I became older, I saw his wisdom and as my metabolic rate slowed, it became my favorite form of hunting squirrel.

Now, if i hear 'em barking, squalling, or maybe runnin' around on the limbs, I'll stalk toward 'em. You can hunt squirrel with your ears. My ears haven't deteriorated, thankfully.

A pistol makes it tougher to find a rest when you stalk. I like to lay on my back if the ground isn't wet and clamp the gun in my hands between my knees if I can't get a rest on a tree or something. Shooting off hand is pretty tough and I always rest the gun or just not take the shot. A monopod is a handy tool, too.
My Gramps used to have a stock cane that he would clamp a section of broomstick to at a right angle to the cane and use the broomstick part for a pistol rest. Since he used the cane on uneven ground the system did a double duty. You might give that a try.
they are tired of living!

If you need this message in another language, move to a country that speaks it.
Old July 26, 2014, 09:41 PM   #79
Sol

Never hunted or eaten a squirrel, but I would try it if presented in an appealing manner.

I wonder if you can get rabbit starvation from eating squirrel constantly?

Not that it's really a factor in this day and age though.
Old July 26, 2014, 10:14 PM   #80
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Quote:
Never hunted or eaten a squirrel, but I would try it if presented in an appealing manner.

I wonder if you can get rabbit starvation from eating squirrel constantly?

Not that it's really a factor in this day and age though.
I'm not sure, but they're very lean like rabbits. There's enough wild pork around here that even if I didn't buy a T bone now and then, I won't have the problem.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:09 AM   #81
Vern Humphrey

Quote:
My Gramps used to have a stock cane that he would clamp a section of broomstick to at a right angle to the cane and use the broomstick part for a pistol rest. Since he used the cane on uneven ground the system did a double duty. You might give that a try.
If it weren't for all the paperwork and the $200 tax, I'd make a shoulder stock for my Colt Woodsman. That would be the ideal squirrel gun.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:33 AM   #82
Art Eatman
Administrator

My grandmother's squirrel gun was a Type 1 Cold Woodsman. It's surprisingly easy to shoot very accurately.
Old July 27, 2014, 11:31 AM   #83
Officers'Wife

I love my Colt Woodsman but never really thought of hunting with it. But you are right, even without the stock the weapon would be accurate enough for the task at hand.

Old July 27, 2014, 06:31 PM   #84
red rick

I cooked one today . It was the only one I got last season . I don't know if it was the weather or what , but I did not see many after deer season . It was below average temperatures and snow most of Jan. & Feb. .

We were having a cookout today so I thought I would try it on the grill . I soaked it overnight in teriyaki sauce .

It was looking like rain all day so we cooked inside . I cooked the squirrel on that electric burner , in a pan that you see on TV all the time . The one you can touch without getting burnt ( New Wave PIC , a commercial just came on while typing this ) .

I put a like bit of oil in the pan , set it on medium , put a lid on it and cooked it turning several times until done , about 30 mins. .

Everyone that tried it loved it . I thought it was some of the best squirrel that I ever had . Just wish that I had more .

Next time I am going to add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the teriyaki sauce . No need to add any salt , the teriyaki gives it the salt .
Old July 28, 2014, 12:04 PM   #85
Officers'Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rick View Post
I cooked one today . It was the only one I got last season . I don't know if it was the weather or what , but I did not see many after deer season . It was below average temperatures and snow most of Jan. & Feb. .

We were having a cookout today so I thought I would try it on the grill . I soaked it overnight in teriyaki sauce .

It was looking like rain all day so we cooked inside . I cooked the squirrel on that electric burner , in a pan that you see on TV all the time . The one you can touch without getting burnt ( New Wave PIC , a commercial just came on while typing this ) .

I put a like bit of oil in the pan , set it on medium , put a lid on it and cooked it turning several times until done , about 30 mins. .

Everyone that tried it loved it . I thought it was some of the best squirrel that I ever had . Just wish that I had more .

Next time I am going to add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the teriyaki sauce . No need to add any salt , the teriyaki gives it the salt .
I usually just coat them in flour and fry them then use the grease to make milk gravy. Of course you have to have baking powder biscuits to put the gravy on. Along with either green beans or when in season sweet corn. The guys know better than to complain but they always seem to bring me more squirrels or rabbits...

Old July 29, 2014, 01:25 PM   #86
Red Cent

In a time long ago, I used to roam the woods in Putnam County WV with Pop's 12 gauge 870. I have it in my safe. Mom (grandparents) would parboil the squirrel, head included, and make a delicious light gravy with it. I loved the brains.
I haven't pulled the trigger on an animal for over 20 years.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze. SASS #29170L
Strangers are friends ready to happen.
Old July 29, 2014, 02:15 PM   #87
blarby
Contributing Member

Quote:
I'm up in mass I use a .25 pcp air rifle I soak Em in a water soy sauce and cider vinegar solution over nite then wrap Em in bacon and throw them in the oven pretty tasty tree rat !!
First one I get this year, I'm cooking half of it like that.

Thanks for the tip, that sounds amazing !

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old July 29, 2014, 07:20 PM   #88
midland man

this is great guys in fact I gotta new ruger air magnum rifle 22cal and want to try it squirrel hunting this year. I just sighted the scope in and its dead on
Old July 30, 2014, 04:46 PM   #89
T.R.

Same as you, I focus on my 16 gauge shotgun during the early season. My wife fixes a terrific pot pie made with squirrel meat.

TR
Old July 30, 2014, 10:53 PM   #90
Sniper66

The problem I have with squirrel hunting is deciding which rifle to carry; I now have 5, two 22s, two 17 HMRs, and one 17 Mach 2. Each year I kill and eat 2-3 dozen. For me, squirrel is the best tasting wild game. I love it. I've hunted many different critters over my lifetime and at age 67 and having hunted for 60 of those years, squirrel hunting is still my favorite. Nothing is more enjoyable to me than a cool autumn morning in the woods. But, I'm strictly a rifle shooter as I love the challenge of head shooting a batch of squirrels.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:59 PM   #91
midland man

sniper66 I wondered about the 17's how they fared with head shots and such but I do own a henry leveraction 22lr with a scope 4x32 and a savage lefthand 22mag and it has a scope on it but always used the leveraction and I like solid nose bullets 40gr and had success with that leveraction!
Old August 7, 2014, 04:35 PM   #92
kemper

Heck Yes

Heck Yes we still hunt and eat squirrels.
I'll be honest they are not my favorite table fare, but
I enjoy them a few times a year in a squirrel mulligan.
Fresh veggies, rice and squirrels, mmmm, mmmmm good