Quantcast
anyone still hunt and eat squirrels?? - Page 5 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 5, 2014, 12:52 AM   #101
Sniper66

Short Barrel hunts squirrels instead of deer for the very same reasons I hunt squirrels, doves, prairie dogs, etc., you get a lot more shooting and action than you ever do with deer. I love to hone the craft of shooting. I shoot a lot and own lots of firearms. Most of the men in my family are great deer hunters. But, most of them own one rifle and a box of shells will last them 5 seasons. I help them spot deer, set up tree stands, join them after the hunt and even help drag the thing into the truck. But, when I take out my guns, I want to shoot something, not sit in a stand for 4 days for one shot. And frankly, the meat from squirrels is better than venison.
Old December 5, 2014, 02:19 PM   #102
Vern Humphrey

I agree that squirrel is good eating and good hunting -- but that doesn't stop me from hunting deer. In fact, I carry a Hammond Game Getter in my pocket when I'm on a deer stand, and I've shot many a squirrel with it while waiting for a deer to show up.
Old December 6, 2014, 11:12 AM   #103
LRShooting

I love hunting squirrels. Ever year when the cousins come, its lights out. I think we got 10-15 during thanksgiving between 4 of us. Theres only so many you can get before they run out. Usually best to crockpot them in a marinade to tenderize and flavor them, then bake or fry with a coating to give them a crunch. Depending on what you like of course. Squirrel and rabbit enchiladas are great too...so good.
Old December 6, 2014, 01:10 PM   #104
Vern Humphrey

Quote:
Usually best to crockpot them in a marinade to tenderize and flavor them, then bake or fry with a coating to give them a crunch.
You've discovered my secret recipe.